Waiting at station after hours?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you took an Amtrak and will take an Amtrak back can the city remove you from the station?

The reason I’m asking this is because I will be staying until midnight and no trains or buses will run from Ventura. I am debating on waiting at the Amtrak station from ubering from my workplace for tomorrow or just ubering from there to straight home which will cost me around $120. If I wanted to take the train would I get kicked off for being there too late or early?

If you took an Amtrak and will take an Amtrak back can the city remove you from the station?

The reason I’m asking this is because I will be staying until midnight and no trains or buses will run from Ventura. I am debating on waiting at the Amtrak station from ubering from my workplace for tomorrow or just ubering from there to straight home which will cost me around $120. If I wanted to take the train would I get kicked off for being there too late or early?
Depending on city they may have loitering ordinances. Otherwise rent a cop with power trip to say you must leave or be trespassed. Could you stay at la union station and take different train home? Some stations lock up tighter than a banjo string after train comes and goes too.

Not quite sure what your exact situation is. You're looking to just be there overnight? Perhaps sleeping there? If you have a ticket, you probably have a good excuse for being there that late, although it could get tricky if you're sleeping. But there are 24 hour stations where people are sleeping overnight like some people do at airports.

The station in Ventura has no published hours, and I believe it's just a platform without any gate. You can check the laws. I did find it interesting that the legal name of the city is "San Buenaventura".

https://library.municode.com/ca/san_buenaventura/codes/code_of_ordinances

No sure what the OP is asking here.

I personally like sleeping in a bed, even if it will require me to get up extra early to catch a train/plane.

Hang out in a station after hours is generally not permitted, there are a few exceptions. However early or stay late to save money is not one of those exceptions.

So if I am reading this right. Spend the money and sleep in your own bed. You will be much happier and safer too.

There is no station building at Ventura. There is just an open platform with a couple of roofed shelters.

I imagine you sleeping there would be a pretty good chance of being rousted by the cops.

Also, despite being in sunny southern California, it is right by the beach and can get pretty cool at night. Especially without walls.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what your exact situation is. You're looking to just be there overnight? Perhaps sleeping there? If you have a ticket, you probably have a good excuse for being there that late, although it could get tricky if you're sleeping. But there are 24 hour stations where people are sleeping overnight like some people do at airports.

The station in Ventura has no published hours, and I believe it's just a platform without any gate. You can check the laws. I did find it interesting that the legal name of the city is "San Buenaventura".

https://library.municode.com/ca/san_buenaventura/codes/code_of_ordinances
There is actually no station in Ventura, just a platform next to the fairgrounds.

Back