WAS--Lower Level Tracks and Canopy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I just saw a photo of the lower level tracks of Washington, D.C. Union Station. It appears that the western-most lower level track is abandoned, the canopy partially dismantled, and the platform in general disrepair. Anyone know why?

Given how few trains run through Washington's lower level (a dozen Amtraks and some VREs, right?), you really don't need all of the tracks and platforms. Amtrak doesn't have such money as to spend it maintaining unneeded infrastructure. You'd likely find the same situation at the almost unused lower level tracks of 30th Street Station in philly. Most trains running through that station are Septa- which run from an entirely different set of tracks perpendicular and on top of the Amtrak/NJ Transit area.

Amtrak sends about 18 daily trains through the lower level and VRE puts 30 daily trains through the lower level. Granted that's not Penn Station, but nearly 50 daily trains isn't exactly chump change either. And I didn't count equipment moves either, which further adds to the traffic.

Amtrak sends about 18 daily trains through the lower level and VRE puts 30 daily trains through the lower level. Granted that's not Penn Station, but nearly 50 daily trains isn't exactly chump change either. And I didn't count equipment moves either, which further adds to the traffic.
If my warlock sorcery powers were more honed in, I'd zap the canopies fixed. And the tracks fixed. And get two more Florida trains. And make Union Station more of a train station and less of a gentrified shopping district. And get 55 new electric engines. And discard all ordinances limiting the volume of locomotive horns. And double the Viewliner contract. And get 492 Amfleet III's (homage to the original). And get also a hundred Superliner III's. And get me a date or partner to enjoy a train journey with, plus an option for together for life. And for one day to resurrect all my loved ones who live with the big man for just one day on a train. And to design Acela II for 200mph operation, plus all necessary upgrades to catenary track signaling and partridges in pear trees, whatever's necessary for them to run at that speed for more of the NECorridor. And for the new dining cars and cafes to comfortably invite, feed, and carry passengers with a balance of class and efficiency. And for Union junction in Rahway NJ to finally get all new switches and turnouts.

I've got more questions. Thanks for the useful answers so far.

1. How many tracks exist on the lower level?

2. Do all the lower level tracks run through or are some of them stub-end tracks?

3. Is there a diagram of the track layout available online?

4. I've noticed before when I've come through WAS (always arriving on the lower level) that the canopy on the north end of at least one of the platforms have temporary construction lighting and are without roofs. Was there a project to renovate the canopies that was stopped before it was completed?

5. Does Amtrak actually own WAS or is it owned by another entity?

6. I believe I recall that Graham Claytor built what is now called the "Claytor Concourse" because the condition of the Union Station headhouse was so decrepit. Is this true?

The lower level is the low level platform area correct?

Sometimes I think the NE Regionals use the low platforms but usually they use the high platforms.

7-10, I'm not sure exactly. After looking at the pictures, 8, at least 7 of which are in service (not sure about 21, that is a mystery to me).

28 is the highest numbered track.

I know that 17/18 is the first platform that the Acela uses. I think that there is one more platform (so 19/20) making 21-28 the lower level tracks.

You can see that if you look at this Bing map:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qgh2np8kgmdq&scene=24020447&lvl=1&sty=b

This picture was taken around 3:00 PM based on the trains that I can see. You can see the Capitol Limited (with 3 P42s) preparing to leave from track 16. It looks like 17 is vacant and then there are 3 Acela sets on 18, 19 and 20 (you can also see Beech Grove 10001 at the end of track 20 - it has the distinctive box that contains a camera and lights on the end closest to the station).

Then you go to the lower level (you can see an AEM-7 parked just to the right of H Street on what should be track 21). When I left WAS on the Cardinal, I'm pretty sure that we left from track 22, so if that one goes through I would think that 22-28 all go under the station. The only one I'm up in the air about is 21 (which is the one that you referred to in your OP). Hope this helps!

Edit 2: Picture was taken before 3:20, the long MARC set that's always used for the 3:20 (formerly the 3:24, 3:27 and 3:34) is still down there on 28 track.

Edit 3: Just above the MARC set on 28 you can see a LD consist - that'd be the the Silver Star changing power. Assuming that she's on time, that narrows it to between 2:45 and 3:15. Since you can see the sleepers on the rear, that limits the date range that the picture can be taken as well. How long were the sleepers running back there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally the only time a Regional will hit the lower level is if it is going to run through to points south of DC. That's not to say it never happens that a train terminating in DC goes to the lower level, but it's not a regular thing. I've also noticed that on the Upper Level if a train is on a lower level platform its generally going to be a MARC train since those folks don't usually have luggage with them and are more used to using the stairs to get on to the train.

7-10, I'm not sure exactly. After looking at the pictures, 8, at least 7 of which are in service (not sure about 21, that is a mystery to me).

I know that 17/18 is the first platform that the Acela uses. I think that there is one more platform (so 19/20) making 21-28 the lower level tracks.
According to the draft track diagram for the MD & DC part of the NEC that was posted in a rail forum a few months ago by Richard E Green (IIRC), the tracks that connect to the tunnel leading south of Union Station are 22 to 29. There is a stub track 30 on the far side of the westernmost platform but it is not powered. The upper level tracks are numbered 7 to 20 (with 7 to 9 not powered). All of the lower level platforms are low platforms while the upper level has 6 high platforms and 4 low platforms. The longest platform is a low platform between track 16 & 17 which can handle an impressive 19 cars. Would be a long walk from the terminal to get on a car at the end of that one!

One of the projects in the stimulus program is to replace two of the high level platforms with new concrete platforms, although I don't recall having seen any of sign of major work being done there yet. Anyone know if Amtrak has any long term plans to upgrade 1 or 2 of the lower level platforms to high level for easier access?

Yeah, I didn't include about the non-revenue tracks. 29 and 30 aren't reachable from the station without walking across 28.

The long low platform (between 15/16, not 16/17) is one hell of a walk! They occasionally stack a pair of Penn Line consists on there and when you're running late it's a rather unpleasant surprise to have to haul it way over to 16 and then way the hell out to the end.

The platforms to be rehabbed are the 13/14 platform (new decking only) and 17/18 (ground up) - I thought that work was to have started on them already (but that was as of one of the last MARC Riders Advisory Council meetings that I attended back in June). I don't think that there are any plans to go rehab any platforms from low level to high - they need the low level platforms on both levels to support the gallery cars that MARC and VRE use.

I went back through the meeting minutes and found the notes on the platforms - there isn't any mention of start time, but since it appears work hasn't started on either platform, I'd guess that it isn't likely that the work will be completed:

There are maintenance challenges in Union Station that will require repairs:  Expansion joint problems over Track 13, which will require the replacement of 120 footsections of the overhead ceiling. This will take tracks 13-14 out of service during this

replacement.  The deck for tracks 13-14 will need to be replaced, which will take 1 track out of service at a

time.  The deck for tracks 17-18 will need to be totally rebuilt, from the deck down.  Work must be completed by February 17, 2011, or the stimulus money will run out.
http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/serviceInformation/MARC_Council_April_2010_Meeting_Minutes.pdf

You can see that if you look at this Bing map:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qgh2np8kgmdq&scene=24020447&lvl=1&sty=b

This picture was taken around 3:00 PM based on the trains that I can see. You can see the Capitol Limited (with 3 P42s) preparing to leave from track 16. It looks like 17 is vacant and then there are 3 Acela sets on 18, 19 and 20 (you can also see Beech Grove 10001 at the end of track 20 - it has the distinctive box that contains a camera and lights on the end closest to the station).

Then you go to the lower level (you can see an AEM-7 parked just to the right of H Street on what should be track 21). When I left WAS on the Cardinal, I'm pretty sure that we left from track 22, so if that one goes through I would think that 22-28 all go under the station. The only one I'm up in the air about is 21 (which is the one that you referred to in your OP). Hope this helps!

Edit 2: Picture was taken before 3:20, the long MARC set that's always used for the 3:20 (formerly the 3:24, 3:27 and 3:34) is still down there on 28 track.

Edit 3: Just above the MARC set on 28 you can see a LD consist - that'd be the the Silver Star changing power. Assuming that she's on time, that narrows it to between 2:45 and 3:15. Since you can see the sleepers on the rear, that limits the date range that the picture can be taken as well. How long were the sleepers running back there?
Looking at the Bing Map, it appears that there are only 6 lower level tracks used. The western most tracks have a platform with no apparent access to the station and canopy that is partially dismantled. Of the tracks servicing this platform the western track is the one I asked about being abandoned. I wonder if it ever did connect to the tunnel or it it was always a stub-end track?

I went back through the meeting minutes and found the notes on the platforms - there isn't any mention of start time, but since it appears work hasn't started on either platform, I'd guess that it isn't likely that the work will be completed:

There are maintenance challenges in Union Station that will require repairs:  Expansion joint problems over Track 13, which will require the replacement of 120 footsections of the overhead ceiling. This will take tracks 13-14 out of service during this

replacement.  The deck for tracks 13-14 will need to be replaced, which will take 1 track out of service at a

time.  The deck for tracks 17-18 will need to be totally rebuilt, from the deck down.  Work must be completed by February 17, 2011, or the stimulus money will run out.
http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/serviceInformation/MARC_Council_April_2010_Meeting_Minutes.pdf
What is the condition of the platforms that are to be repaired/rebuilt? I assume the expansion joint deals with the parking deck above the tracks?

Looking at the Bing Map, it appears that there are only 6 lower level tracks used. The western most tracks have a platform with no apparent access to the station and canopy that is partially dismantled. Of the tracks servicing this platform the western track is the one I asked about being abandoned. I wonder if it ever did connect to the tunnel or it it was always a stub-end track?
7 tracks, 22-28. Incidentally, I was browsing Trainorders tonight and the topic of 21 track came up tangentally:http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2283446

What is the condition of the platforms that are to be repaired/rebuilt? I assume the expansion joint deals with the parking deck above the tracks?
Yes, the expansion joint refers to the parking deck - the platforms are in service and in use daily. Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with them from the top - looking at the 17/18 platform, it does look a bit run down but it's still used every day.

7 tracks, 22-28. Incidentally, I was browsing Trainorders tonight and the topic of 21 track came up tangentally:http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2283446

Yes, the expansion joint refers to the parking deck - the platforms are in service and in use daily. Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with them from the top - looking at the 17/18 platform, it does look a bit run down but it's still used every day.
You know, it was this photo that started my post here on Amtrak Trains. If I had been patient I would have had my first question answered.

And yes, you are correct about 7 tracks--I was thinking about tracks that were used for passenger service. Also, it seems that there are two additional storage tracks on the east end with no platform or access to the station.

According to the draft track diagram for the MD & DC part of the NEC that was posted in a rail forum a few months ago by Richard E Green (IIRC), the tracks that connect to the tunnel leading south of Union Station are 22 to 29. There is a stub track 30 on the far side of the westernmost platform but it is not powered. The upper level tracks are numbered 7 to 20 (with 7 to 9 not powered). All of the lower level platforms are low platforms while the upper level has 6 high platforms and 4 low platforms. The longest platform is a low platform between track 16 & 17 which can handle an impressive 19 cars. Would be a long walk from the terminal to get on a car at the end of that one!

One of the projects in the stimulus program is to replace two of the high level platforms with new concrete platforms, although I don't recall having seen any of sign of major work being done there yet. Anyone know if Amtrak has any long term plans to upgrade 1 or 2 of the lower level platforms to high level for easier access?
Were there ever tracks 1-6? Were these removed for the building of the Metro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back