WAS -> SAC on CL & CZ, first trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiGracie

Train Attendant
I found, what I feel to believe, is a great deal coming back to Sacramento from DC on Feb 25th. I'll be traveling Coach to Chicago and then in a roomette from CHI to SAC for $592. This is not only my first cross country trip, the CL limited portion will be the longest trip I've taken coach.

I'd like to ask a few question I'm not clear about:

1. Is there a wine and cheese tasting in the afternoons on the CZ?

2. Do first class passengers on the CZ have Internet access?

3. Is it proper to leave a post it note on my roomette window that says either, Do Not Disturb, or Pls make reservations for X time, do not wake me.

4. Is there enough time in Denver for someone to meet me at the platform and give me a hug while we are stopped?

5. My experience on the CS was that the roomette's seemed stuff. Each time I have traveled I has been during the summer, so perhaps that is a factor. I'm considering bringing a small fan, but I'm not sure if that is even allowed or necessary.

6. I've never ridden in coach as long as I will be traveling on the CL. I sleep pretty well with ear plugs and a sleeping mask, but wonder how hard it will be to get a window seat, will I be crowded and should I cable lock my possessions to the seat if I step away to the restroom or to dinner?

7. Also, am I allowed to bring my own bottle of wine if I have a roomette?

TIA for all the help. I am traveling alone and a little nervous along with being a little excited :)

Okay here goes

1. Wine tasting-no. Wine tasting is only on the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder.

2. No passengers, coach or sleeper, have wi-fi provided on the California Zephyr

3. I've never seen that done. Best to just TELL your sleeping car attendant person to person what your needs are (do not disturb, get me a dinner reservation around X time, etc).

4. Yes, there should be enough time in Denver. Even if it is late, it'll be in Denver 20-30 minutes. However, I don't how the access to the platform at the temporary station is controlled, if it is.

5. Yes, roomettes can be stuffy, some of the cars' HVAC don't always seem to work terribly well. A small fan isn't a bad idea (may do that myself). It's allowed.

6. I don't do more than day trips in coach. I've never worried about my stuff. If I were to cable lock it, I'd do it on the rack above the seat.

7. Alcohol of any type is allowed in a roomette. Just don't show it off on your coach leg, as technically it is not allowed in coach.

4) The platform is easy for anyone to access. I was even on a train a couple weeks ago where the conductor announced, "Train will be departing in 2 minutes, if you are a baggage carrier or family member, now would be the time to leave the train." I never knew or heard of this until my last CZ trip. The platform is right on the edge of the highway with just a fence blocking it. And I've had enough time to run across the street and buy liquor from the store behind the station.so that shouldnt be a problem.

5) Even in the winter, those rooms are insanely stuffy. I wake up with a sore throat all the time. Do they make portable humidifiers? You would probably need that more than a fan.

6) The CL has been really booked for some reason, they assign you seat numbers before you board, and I've heard they tell you that you can't move around cause all the seats are reserved for others soon boarding on the next stops.

7) Don't forget your wine opener like I have! :p You'll be forced to press your cork into the bottle rather than pulling it out. :giggle:

Portable humidifier - a glass of water or an open water bottle. Just make sure it's not full so it doesn't slosh out.

Gracie,

I'm not saying anyone would touch anything, I think trains are very safe, but I always bring a larger purse or small tote and take my electronics with me to the diner, etc. They would probably be fine inside your suitcase, but I just take those things with me to be safe.

Your trip sounds wonderful, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back