We Have To Eat When We Get There

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmorris56

Train Attendant
Hi Everyone,

I know that this isn't train related but having never been to Seattle We could use some advice from those of you that have. We will get to seattle on the EB on May 10th. We Will be there till the 11th, at which time we will be sailing off to Alaska. For 20 years I have dreamed of this trip. The EB, the cruise, who could ask for anything more? Anyway we will be staying at the Quality Inn about 2 blocks East of the Space Needle. I plan to take the monarail to down town. My husband can only walk so far, about two or three blocks and he has to rest for awhile. First, would it be far to walk down to the waterfront ? And if not where is a good seafood restaurant? I realize they are all over, but I want one someone knows something about. Also, has anyone of you stayed at this Quality Inn? If so what did you think of it? Thank you again. We really appreciate all your help.

Hi Everyone,I know that this isn't train related but having never been to Seattle We could use some advice from those of you that have. We will get to seattle on the EB on May 10th. We Will be there till the 11th, at which time we will be sailing off to Alaska. For 20 years I have dreamed of this trip. The EB, the cruise, who could ask for anything more? Anyway we will be staying at the Quality Inn about 2 blocks East of the Space Needle. I plan to take the monarail to down town. My husband can only walk so far, about two or three blocks and he has to rest for awhile. First, would it be far to walk down to the waterfront ? And if not where is a good seafood restaurant? I realize they are all over, but I want one someone knows something about. Also, has anyone of you stayed at this Quality Inn? If so what did you think of it? Thank you again. We really appreciate all your help.
The waterfront might be too far to walk if your husband has issues with walking, there's also a substantial hill to negotiate. If you want seafood, i highly reccomend Ivar's Acres of Clams on the waterfront. It should be a short cab ride away from the hotel.

Hi Everyone,I know that this isn't train related but having never been to Seattle We could use some advice from those of you that have. We will get to seattle on the EB on May 10th. We Will be there till the 11th, at which time we will be sailing off to Alaska. For 20 years I have dreamed of this trip. The EB, the cruise, who could ask for anything more? Anyway we will be staying at the Quality Inn about 2 blocks East of the Space Needle. I plan to take the monarail to down town. My husband can only walk so far, about two or three blocks and he has to rest for awhile. First, would it be far to walk down to the waterfront ? And if not where is a good seafood restaurant? I realize they are all over, but I want one someone knows something about. Also, has anyone of you stayed at this Quality Inn? If so what did you think of it? Thank you again. We really appreciate all your help.
Sept 2008, I had a 1 nite lay over in Seattle before the south bound CS. I'm not sure but, I may have stayed at the Q Inn also. Also, due to having PAD, I can't walk far at all.

After arriving around 10 am, I caught a taxi to the hotel , stored my bags (before ck in time), took a cab to the Bainbridge Ferry (nice little trip, & didn't get off) back to hotel & cabbed it to the Jazz Alley Club to have a dinner show. Didn't have any problems sleeping that night!!!

RF

Have Fun!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607327217231/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607290844868/

Ivars is an excellent recommendation. I ate at one quite a few years ago but friends recently visited and loved it. I believe it has been there since 1938. Sounds like a very exciting trip!

Okay, first, the hotel. If this has been a trip you have been looking forward to for 20 years, I suggest not staying at a motel on Aurora Avenue. I have not stayed at the Quality Inn, but I live near it, and it doesn't look like much on the outside, and is not in a nice area -- it's not a dangerous area, but not nice, either. And, if you plan on taking the monorail, by the time you made the five (not two) block walk to the Seattle Center (i.e., north) terminus of the monorail, you could have walked most of the way downtown. (Not as prosaic as the monorail, but there are buses that stop right by that Quality Inn that will take you downtown, and have more than one stop there, too.)

The Quality Inn is also pretty far from the waterfront, for folks who can't walk long distances. And it is also at a much higher elevation than the waterfront, which might not be so bad going down, but coming back up would be a problem for you. But that's true of just about all of downtown -- you are going to climb a hill coming back from the waterfront.

You don't say which pier your ship will be leaving from, but I just looked at this year's sailing schedule and I am going to say you are on the Carnival Spirit sailing from Pier 91. If you were sailing from Pier 66, I would recommend you change your lodgings to the Edgewater or the waterfront Marriott, both of which are within walking distance of that pier. Heck, stay there anyway, even though it'll cost more than the Quality Inn -- it's a 20-year-dream trip, and you are only going to be staying there one night.

If you stay at one of those two hotels, it's worth knowing that there is a free Metro bus that runs up and down the waterfront, and up into Chinatown. (Metro started this service to replace the waterfront streetcar that was removed because the city decided to rip out the car barn at the north end of the line and install a hideous "sculpture park." Don't get me started.)

Seriously, for the trip of a lifetime, stay someplace nicer than where you are booked. If the two I have suggested are too pricey, look into the Mayflower Park, which has the advantage of being right near the southern terminus of both the monorail and the South Lake Union Streetcar -- you could still take a round trip on the monorail, just the other way around. Some other likely-looking hotels in that area are the Westin, the Andra, the Hotel Max, and the Warwick. Another option might be the Residence Inn on Lake Union which has water views, only of fresh water instead of seawater, and is right on the South Lake Union Streetcar line to take you into downtown.

Okay, restaurants:

Ivar Haglund was the kind of wonderful civic character that every city should be lucky enough to have. He's been dead for almost 30 years, and lots of us remember him and miss him. That having been said, his seafood restaurants are just "good," not great. I eat at them, and enjoy it, but I don't go there for fine seafood. So, you can eat at Ivar's Acres of Clams, and get a good meal from good people in an interesting location, but I don't think you will find it memorable.

My favorite seafood restaurants in Seattle are The Brooklyn, Ray's Boathouse, Cutter's Bayhouse, Anthony's Pier 66, and any of the local members of the McCormick & Schmick chain: McCormick's Fish House, McCormick & Schmick's, and McCormick & Schmick's Harborside. I've never eaten the seafood at them, but the Dahlia Lounge and Etta's are also considered to be some of the best seafood places in town.

Of the restaurants I listed, all are downtown, with the exception of McCormick & Schmick's Harborside, which is on Lake Union, and Ray's Boathouse, which is out on Shilshole Bay (you will pass it coming into town on the Empire Builder, but from downtown you'd need a 15- or 20-minute cab ride to get back to it). Ray's has the best view, if that is important, followed by Anthony's Pier 66, Cutter's, and then McCormick & Schmick's Harborside.

Wherever you stay and wherever you eat, I hope you enjoy your trip and your brief visit to Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, for the trip of a lifetime, stay someplace nicer than where you are booked. If the two I have suggested are too pricey, look into the Mayflower Park, which has the advantage of being right near the southern terminus of both the monorail and the South Lake Union Streetcar -- you could still take a round trip on the monorail, just the other way around. Some other likely-looking hotels in that area are the Westin, the Andra, the Hotel Max, and the Warwick. Another option might be the Residence Inn on Lake Union which has water views, only of fresh water instead of seawater, and is right on the South Lake Union Streetcar line to take you into downtown.
In addition to the hotels noted above, there is also the Courtyard on Lake Union one stop from the end of the **** and a 2-1/2 block walk. There is the new Courtyard in Pioneer Square. As well as the SpringHill Suites. The SpringHill isn't quite downtown, but they run a shuttle bus that takes you right to the end of the Link Light Rail and the bus tunnel, ****, and the monorail. And I find that the SpringHill often has decent rates for Seattle.

I stayed at the Courtyard on Lake Union last July. It wasn't the Ritz, but it was clean, decent, and solid.

I will add a third for Anthonys.

If you end up just wanting a regular restaurant I've always enjoyed 13 coins on Boren Ave N. it's one block north on Boren from Denny Way.

I'm not familiar with your hotel. But there are many around the Westlake center, the southern terminus of the monorail.

My father would always stay at the Hotel Andra ( 4th Ave) when he came to visit. He loved it, and I always trusted his judgement.

Seattle is a wonderful city, take advantage of the ride-free zone, there is very little reason to walk downtown. Do get out, even if the weather seems bad, it's only liquid sunshine.

Enjoy

Thank you for all the information. I am a little confused, the quality inn we're staying at is on John st. Is this the same one

that also has an Aurora address? Also rain does not scare us. We live in central Florida. We live and breath liquid sun shine. Especially since our son and grandson race stock cars on the weekends. It just loves to rain on saturday & saturday night. Say race and start looking at the weather. thank you, any more ideas are really appreciated.

Thank you for all the information. I am a little confused, the quality inn we're staying at is on John st. Is this the same one
Yes, the Quality Inn is at the corner of John St and Aurora Ave. I am sorry I confused you. I said "a motel on Aurora Ave" because in Seattle that has a meaning, and it isn't good. Although that end of Aurora Avenue is better than points north. Also, Aurora Ave is more or less a highway, and who wants to stay at a motel on a highway, when they are in a big city full of nice hotels? That's what I was getting at.

I did a little research and found that the Quality Inn used to be called the Seattle Inn -- I *thought* that might've been the old Seattle Inn -- and its address then was 225 Aurora Ave N. When they changed the name they changed their address to a John St one, and I am sure it was done to disassociate themselves from Aurora Ave. (Although it really is more on Aurora than John -- the entrance is on Aurora, and the long side is on Aurora and the short side is on John.)

Maybe it is under new management, and everything is better, but (a) I knew some people who stayed there when it was the Seattle Inn and they did not like it at all, and (b) successful, well-thought-of hotels don't change their names, do they? Oh, maybe they change from "Hotel" to "Inn," or change a corporate brand, like when Seattle's posh Olympic became the Fairmont Olympic, and now the Four Seasons Olympic, but they only change the whole name (and the address) when they are trying to start over and forget the past.

Of course, everyone has her favorite, and of course everyone is right, so let me tell you my favorite restaurant - the one when I lived in Vancouver and went down to Seattle for a geteawy weekend I'd never miss going to.

Maximilien is in Pike Place Market, which really is a must-go destination. The views of the waterfront are fabulous, and you don't have to go down the hill to get them. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but for a while I was on their email list and received all sorts of news about their special meals and events. It's a small but, IMHO, a superb restaurant.

Their home page is here.....http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/ If you click on the menus link, you'll see that they lean heavily to seafood at dinnertime. I don't know the current pricing, but my guess is that dinner for two with a couple glasses of wine each would run between $100 - $125. But like you said, you're on the trip of your lifetime!

Finally, again IMHO, if cost is an issue, I'd tend to scrimp a little on the hotel in favor of an unforgettable meal. That said, there are some nice boutique hotels in the Belltown district, very close to Pike Place....or at least there used to be.

Hi Again,

I decided to take you at your word and got online and decided to find a hotel downtown so we wouldn't have to worry about how we were going to get there. I think I lucked out because I got what looks like a really nice room in the Inn at Harbor Steps. I have been reading the reviews for the past hour and they all seem very happy with their stays. And from what I understand some of them got their room for 150 and they thought it was well worth that. This is a bargain price for this hotel from what I see. Well here is where the lucks out part comes in. I found it for 117 just when I want it. If it's anything like the reviews say it is I have done well. This hotel is sitting right where we need it to be. Oh, and as far as confusing me goes sometimes that is not that hard to do. Thank you so much for all of your help. All of you.

Hi Again,I decided to take you at your word and got online and decided to find a hotel downtown so we wouldn't have to worry about how we were going to get there. I think I lucked out because I got what looks like a really nice room in the Inn at Harbor Steps. I have been reading the reviews for the past hour and they all seem very happy with their stays. And from what I understand some of them got their room for 150 and they thought it was well worth that. This is a bargain price for this hotel from what I see. Well here is where the lucks out part comes in. I found it for 117 just when I want it. If it's anything like the reviews say it is I have done well. This hotel is sitting right where we need it to be. Oh, and as far as confusing me goes sometimes that is not that hard to do. Thank you so much for all of your help. All of you.
I think you will be happier there; I have heard good things about that place, and you will be very close to the waterfront and Pike Place Market. And that is a great price.

I was in Seattle only last week and stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square which is 6 blocks from King Street Amtrak station, and across street from is it Pier 66? Not sure of Pier #. I ate at Anthony's and Ivar's but found a resturant in Pike Market called Lowell's. For three days in a row I ate their Alaskan cod and chips special and enjoyed a gorgeous view of the bay activity! I liked it so much I couldn't bring myself to risk eating anywhere else or ordering anything else. I vaguely remember a tour guide saying he didn't think there were any cruises in winter!!! Guess that can't be accurate if you are going on one!

I don't think it's actually called the ****; something like "Seattle Streetcar - South Lake Union Line"; but that doesn't have the same amusing acronym. :)

I was in Seattle only last week and stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square which is 6 blocks from King Street Amtrak station, and across street from is it Pier 66? Not sure of Pier #. I ate at Anthony's and Ivar's but found a resturant in Pike Market called Lowell's. For three days in a row I ate their Alaskan cod and chips special and enjoyed a gorgeous view of the bay activity! I liked it so much I couldn't bring myself to risk eating anywhere else or ordering anything else. I vaguely remember a tour guide saying he didn't think there were any cruises in winter!!! Guess that can't be accurate if you are going on one!
The Best Western Pioneer Square is on Yesler Way (the original Skid Road), and that hits the water at about Pier 50. Pier 66 is towards the north end of downtown, at about Blanchard or Bell Street. While trying to refresh my memory on the pier numbers, I found this City of Seattle web page for visitors, which is full of information, and links to other sites full of information, that would be useful to a visitor. This map of downtown Seattle, for example.

There aren't any cruises now, but the OP said her cruise is in May. Cruise season will be in full swing by then.

Thank you all again for all your help. The maps really come in handy. I have printed them out. I read a review about a restaurant called Pikes Place Chowder. They said it was very good. Have any of you ate there and if so what did you think?

Any and all information will definately come in handy. As far as the hotel I,m thinking about booking it for our one night after our cruise. Our flight doesn't take off untill 11:00 a.m. Wanted to rest from our rest before we crawl on a plane.

Well thank you again. Talk to you soon.

The **** isn't near John St., is it?
Here's a map of the South Lake Union Streetcar route. It crosses John Street as it runs up Westlake Avenue, but the nearest stop to John would be at Westlake Avenue and Denny Way. And frankly, if you are getting on at Denny, you can walk to either end of the line faster than the train.
So, the **** crosses John St., but not when the light is red.

So, the **** crosses John St., but not when the light is red.
Aloha

If the city planners read post like these I am sure they regret naming South Lake Union Trolley. But boy have they given us a very good chuckle, Mahalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back