Weather sets back trains big time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I was sitting in my Musical Theater class this morning when I notcied my phone ringing. An Engineer buddy was calling me from Winter Haven. He borught P089-25 down the A-Line to Winter Haven to make up time. 91-22 is just now arrivng in Orlando, making him just about 5 hours late, 97 is about the same. The School Boy/Safety Patrol special got hit the hardest, they are 11 hours late, expected in JAx in the next hour or so. Man there are going to be some angry parents today.

There are going to be a lot of mad kids, too. They are at an impressionable age--hope not too many of them are discouraged from ever riding a train again.

As long as HEP stays up and the adults don't get pissed off the kids are OK. It's just the parents getting pissed off you really have to worry about. I thought last week's parents were bad, I can only imagine what it's like up there at WPB today.

battalion51 said:
I was sitting in my Musical Theater class this morning when I notcied my phone ringing. An Engineer buddy was calling me from Winter Haven. He borught P089-25 down the A-Line to Winter Haven to make up time. 91-22 is just now arrivng in Orlando, making him just about 5 hours late, 97 is about the same. The School Boy/Safety Patrol special got hit the hardest, they are 11 hours late, expected in JAx in the next hour or so. Man there are going to be some angry parents today.
Why would you have your phone on during class? :blink:

Oh, I have mine on silent all the time, I just don’t answer it. The only thing I ever do in class is text message, but not during or test or anything of that sort. Its a common practice, at least in my High School. I would imagine its much the same in B-51’s.

While the cold has been causing problems up here in Sunnyside, I suspect today delays have more to do with the snow & ice in Virginia and the Carolina's. Even Georgia's having weather problems, although it's not snow & ice, but tornadoes.

Commuter service around DC was scaled back today due to the weather and many places closed early today.

Weather has been alright in the Atlanta area, various patches of ice, but very sparse. In terms of Amtrak, #19 was running late this morning, but as we discussed in the other topic, just because it departed New York late...again. #20 however is doing fine, just about ontime. I will keep an eye on it through the night however.

If the weather predictions are true NY is in for near a foot of snow tonight on top of the snow and ice from last week. So when was the last time it was above freezing in NY anyway seems like it's been a long while.

To my new high school railfan friend from the old Amtrak dude turned school teacher....Just what were you doing with a cell phone in class :angry: ....My district(for reasons known only to them!!) has a "zero tolerance" policy regarding students w/ cell phones..lucky that I didn't see you...would have had a moral dilemma of whether or not to write you up(lol)

Anyway, sounds like the mid-Atlantic weather pattern is going to slam Amtrak service in the south for days to come.

Yep, if Amtrak did their usual less than stellar job of keeping passengers and the public informed, "angry" might be the least of their issues...There are a lot of high-dollar ambulance chasers in Palm Beach County who'd like nothing better than to sue Amtrak for negligence.....hopefully, they gave enough free food and snacks away to the kids to pacify them. Also, a call to a radio or tv station in town keeping them apprised of the situation would have been great p.r.

Again, be careful with that cell phone ;)

From the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman53

tp49 said:
If the weather predictions are true NY is in for near a foot of snow tonight on top of the snow and ice from last week. So when was the last time it was above freezing in NY anyway seems like it's been a long while.
Um, actually the snow is due tomorrow night, into Wednesday morn. Predictions are still a little iffy, since the storm hasn't yet formed off the coast yet.

The right track means a foot or more for NYC. :) The wrong track means 5 to 8 inches. :(

As for the cold, it's been pretty consistant. We have broken 30 a few times in the past 2 weeks, but not many times. We haven't broken 40 at all. It's one of the colder Jan's on the books, we're running about 10 degrees below the normal average for Jan.

Foodman53 said:
My first attempt at a post went screwy...please ignore
Foodman,

First off welcome to the forum. :)

Now for those controls at the top of the typing box. When you use one, like say the "B" for bold, you need to click the button first. Then type what you want in bold and then click the "Close current tag" or "Close all Tags" button. This completes the command and causes the board to perform the formatting you want.

Have fun. :)

Woke up for work 3am this morning and already 2 inches of snow on the ground. It has not stopped for 10 hours now.....Go figure!!!!!

IGO (Chicago)

Foodman53 said:
To my new high school railfan friend from the old Amtrak dude turned school teacher....Just what were you doing with a cell phone in class :angry: ....My district(for reasons known only to them!!) has a "zero tolerance" policy regarding students w/ cell phones..lucky that I didn't see you...would have had a moral dilemma of whether or not to write you up(lol)
Well I keep my phone on dead silent, no vibrate or anything. The phone happened to fall off my belt while I was sitting in class, and it happened to be ringing, what are the odds? :lol: I went outside and answered it only because no one from the railroad calls me at school, so I figured it must have been important. Turns out he just wanted to know if there was a Subway in Winter Haven. :lol: As for me getting written up, chances are slim since I know every security guard and administrator, and almost every one of them owes me for favors I do them as the school sound tech. So, it's nearly impossible for me to get in trouble unless I literally kill someone, which I don't plan on doing.

battalion51 said:
Turns out he just wanted to know if there was a Subway in Winter Haven. :lol:
Wait, Orlando can't even get light rail installed, much less a subway. So how does he think that Winter Haven is going to go through the expense and years of construction to install a subway? :lol: :D :)

No he meant Subway the sandwich place Alan. :lol: He's on Atkins and needed a place with Atkins friendly stuff. Since he got called last minute for the job he didn't have time to pack food for the exhaust manifold, and they don't really carry Atkins friendly stuff on board. Since it was 10:15 and Burger King was still selling breakfast he needed a subway.

Well ironicly, for only the 3rd time in 3 weeks the Crescent left New York ontime today.

But we will just have to see about tomorrows #19......

Just spoke with the "Subway" Engineer from JAX. He's lined up to take P089-26 out at around 11 PM tonight, making them about 21 hours late. 91-26 has left JAX, but will be outlawin tonight since the crew was not set back. 97-25 left JAX around 7 AM this morning. Big hurt's on down here folks.

Most of 97-25's delay was caused from a commercial power outage on the S-Line near Columbia, SC.

B) Just kidding about the cell phone. Our district is a little anal about their use. As long as it didn't go off in class, you and I would be OK!! :D

Looks again like the "Silver Service" is "weather-beaten" again today, however, tomorrow's #91 is marked up to arrive on time in JAX in the morning.

Trying to take my wife on a JAX-WPK-JAX, day trip on a Saturday in March or April, probably down on #91, back on #92.....I see where I can do it on Ebay auctions for $19.98 each...maybe "Rail Sale" might be even cheaper soon!

Just picked up a July, 1971 Amtrak System Timetable, which was the 1st revision from the May, 1971 original. Very interesting reading.

If anyone is ever in the JAX area, a fabulous place to trainwatch is about 35 miles of JAX at Folkston, GA. A covered shelter with scanners is there, and if one is game....about 60 to 70 trains could be seen in a 24 hour period. Also, good train views could be had along the route in both Hilliard and Callahan, Fla.

Perhaps I may see some of you there. Until then, I remain

Yours, from the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman53

battalion51 said:
No he meant Subway the sandwich place Alan. :lol:
Yes, I knew that. :) But I couldn't pass up that opening. :lol: :D

Of course, here in NY I've got the best of both worlds. I really can take the subway to the Subway. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back