Weather sets back trains big time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, here in NY I've got the best of both worlds. I really can take the subway to the Subway.
Or you could even have Subway on the subway. I actually ate at a Subway outside the subway station at Rockefeller Plaza when I was in New York two years ago.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Oh, I have mine on silent all the time, I just don’t answer it. The only thing I ever do in class is text message, but not during or test or anything of that sort. Its a common practice, at least in my High School. I would imagine its much the same in B-51’s.
If I was your teacher, I would only give you a detention if you refuesed to give me the train status info. :D

One of my student's parents works for the UP, and my student told me that she go a cab ride in one the freight units. So now she and I have an ongoing joke about what priveleges I have to provide her to get a cab ride. :D

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
No he meant Subway the sandwich place Alan.   :lol:
Yes, I knew that. :) But I couldn't pass up that opening. :lol: :D

Of course, here in NY I've got the best of both worlds. I really can take the subway to the Subway. :p
But Alan, you live in NYC so why would you even consider going to Subway when there are so many actual real delis to get sandwiches from :)

Steve4031 said:
If I was your teacher, I would only give you a detention if you refuesed to give me the train status info. :D
One of my student's parents works for the UP, and my student told me that she go a cab ride in one the freight units. So now she and I have an ongoing joke about what priveleges I have to provide her to get a cab ride. :D
Just give her all A's, no questions asked. Throw in some extra credit too. :lol:

battalion51 said:
Steve4031 said:
One of my student's parents works for the UP, and my student told me that she go a cab ride in one the freight units.  So now she and I have an ongoing joke about what priveleges I have to provide her to get a cab ride.   :D
Just give her all A's, no questions asked. Throw in some extra credit too. :lol:
Sounds like a plan to me! :D

Speaking of trains being late.... What is the deal with Train 48 outta Chicago?? It's been 3+ hours late leaving Chicago for the past week. Most other trains originating from Chicago (both east and west) seem to be getting out either on-time or fairly close to it.

tp49 said:
But Alan, you live in NYC so why would you even consider going to Subway when there are so many actual real delis to get sandwiches from :)
Deli's can be hit or miss. At least Subway is consistant.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
battalion51 said:
Steve4031 said:
One of my student's parents works for the UP, and my student told me that she go a cab ride in one the freight units.  So now she and I have an ongoing joke about what priveleges I have to provide her to get a cab ride.   :D
Sounds like a plan to me! :D
Well . . . . when I started drooling on the gradebook, and the rest of the kids thought I was having a seizuere . . . I guess that kind of blew that one . . .

Oh well. :D

Actually, it was kind of funny how this all started. The principal had two UP calendars in her office for 2004. She wasn't that interested in them, so she gave me on. I put it on the wall in my room.

The student walked in one day, did a double take, and said., "How did you get a UP calendar. My dad works for the UP, and only they get calendars. ' This was about the last thing I would expect a student to say to me. Then I found out her dad was an engineer, and the rest was history. :D

battalion51 said:
Just spoke with the "Subway" Engineer from JAX. He's lined up to take P089-26 out at around 11 PM tonight, making them about 21 hours late. 91-26 has left JAX, but will be outlawin tonight since the crew was not set back. 97-25 left JAX around 7 AM this morning. Big hurt's on down here folks.
Any word on whether or not he got his train out "on-time" (or when Amtrak reported he would be)?

Well to my astonishment the Crescent is on time today, both #19 into Atlanta(Wednesday morning) and #20 into WAS and NYC(Wednesday), at least as of 8/15 a.m.

Hard to believe.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Well to my astonishment the Crescent is on time today, both #19 into Atlanta(Wednesday morning) and #20 into WAS and NYC(Wednesday), at least as of 8/15 a.m.
Hard to believe.
I noticed that as well. Im not going to say anything untill todays #19 departs New York though.

I just checked on the status of yesterdays #89 that was scheduled to arrive into Miami at 1210pm on Wed. I was astonished to learn that this train arrived into Miami a mere 2 hours ago, making it an incredible 25 hours and 57 minutes late.

On top of that, yesterdays Silver Meteor train #97 arrived into Miami 16 hours late.

:blink:

Its almost 5 aclock and sure enough #19 has yet to depart New York Penn, running about 2 hours and counting.

(I apologize for the repetitiveness, it seems this has been the topic of a lot of my posts in this topic) :p

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I just checked on the status of yesterdays #89 that was scheduled to arrive into Miami at 1210pm on Wed. I was astonished to learn that this train arrived into Miami a mere 2 hours ago, making it an incredible 25 hours and 57 minutes late.
On top of that, yesterdays Silver Meteor train #97 arrived into Miami 16 hours late.

:blink:
25 Hours Late! :eek: Thats taking the trip a second time, granted a delay is nice, but that's almost ridiculous. I'm surprised they didn't just put it out of its misery.

Man, conductors are gonna have to start carrying calenders instead of pocket watches to keep track of a trains progess. Amazing the train wasn't just terminated in Jacksonville or something.

Well #19 departed right after I posted that last messege (around 2 hours late), which is quite astoundiing considering that when similar conditions hit last week #19 departed 6 hours late.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
battalion51 said:
Late turn from the yard/mail and express problems most likely.
That was the zephy's problem for much of the summer.
Lately the Zeph's problems are due to bad power usually happens in the Denver area and the lask of Denver protect power. A few times over the past couple of weeks the Zeph has required freight units be attached since they can't go as fast as passenger power the delays keep getting greater.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Well #19 departed right after I posted that last messege (around 2 hours late), which is quite astoundiing considering that when similar conditions hit last week #19 departed 6 hours late.
What's similar? :unsure:

Last week it was largely just cold weather up here, temps under 20 much of the time or worse, plus a small amount of snow 2 - 3 inches.

Today was not nearly as cold, high of 28, but instead we had a little over 11 inches of snow here in Queens.

Last week it was extreme cold, today is was halfway decent amounts of snow.

The snow amounts are only halfway decent IMHO, because as far as I'm concerned, anything less than 2 feet is still a flurry. :rolleyes: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back