Weight limits on upper berths in Superliner Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the beds rest partially on the top of the seats, there should be no issues with weight. Where you might have a problem would be in climbing up to the bed if you are in a roomette. There isn't a huge amount of space between the bed and the outer wall, nor is there an overwhelming amount of space between the bed and the ceiling. If you are in a Bedroom, then you have plenty of space and a ladder to climb.

I recall reading somewhere that the limit is something like 500 pounds... far more than I'd expect any upper-bunker to be. The problem is really volume.

I'm not particularly tall, but I have some trouble getting in and out of the upper berth on Superliners. Certainly much easier on Viewliners.

I'm 6'2'' 215lbs and I slept in the upper bunk one night of a five night trip. The bed felt secure with me in it, however there is not much room between the matress and the ceiling. My wife and I both slept well. Good luck to you on your trip.

GregL

I agree with the prior two replies. The biggest issue with the upper bunk is not the weight capacity but the tight quarters. It requires some dexterity and a little imagination to gracefully get into and out of without causing physical harm to yourself.

Quite seriously, an older person or just someone who is not 100% physically mobile could have some serious issues getting in and out of a Superliner upper bunk. I have found an effective technique is an Amtrak-modified version of the Fosbury Flop.

My 6'2", 240lb, 61-year-old, ACL torn, arthritic father managed to climb himself up into the upper berth on the AutoTrain, so I'm sure anyone can make it.

It requires some dexterity and a little imagination to gracefully get into and out of without causing physical harm to yourself.
You did it *gracefully*
And with style and flair!
Now that I gota see sometime.

At 300 or so I tried it without being graceful, or with style or flair :lol: (did not hurt myself, including pride, as no one saw me) I wanted to see if I could leave the roomette set as chairs. Not even close, or rather too close, must be what a submariner feels like. :unsure: What I now do is leave the upper bunk as storage for my computer/camera equipment, and clothing change. Even though I am 6 feet tall there is as much clearance under the bunk, for my head as in a car. Also as I drift off to sleep I see the country go by, thats why I prefer the Roomette over the Bedroom.

Hopefully there's one soon in my future.

Aloha and Mahalo

Eric

Please do NOT try the upper bunk in the accessible room of a Superliner. I used to ride up from Florida with a friend who has MS and of course I had to take the upper bunk. At 5'7" and 175 I don't consider myself oversized but my nose was almost touching the ceiling. Pinnochio would have to find a place on the floor or bunk out on the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge.

Hm, just how much clearance is there? From the views that the Amtrak site offered it looks like about two feet. Anybody have pictures?

My family & I are in a Family Bedroom on the Autotrain. Last time on the Autotrain we had two roomettes and I had one by myself so I had the lower. My wife & daughter shared the other and my wife felt clustraphobic(sp?) in the upper berth. How's the feeling in the family bedroom adult upper? : :)

My family & I are in a Family Bedroom on the Autotrain. Last time on the Autotrain we had two roomettes and I had one by myself so I had the lower. My wife & daughter shared the other and my wife felt clustraphobic(sp?) in the upper berth. How's the feeling in the family bedroom adult upper? : :)
While I've never actually pulled out a tape measure and measured things, I've always felt that there is a bit more room between the top bunk and the ceiling in rooms that are on the lower level when compared to rooms on the upper level of a Superliner car.

That said, the fact that you are in the family room will make a world of difference compared to a roomette, which is what most of us were talking about and describing. It may still be snug for you between the bed and the ceiling, but you will have a nice ladder to assist you in climbing up to the upper bunk, a whole lot more room to manuever yourself into that upper bunk, and you actually have a bit of a view over the rest of the room. This is especially true when compared to what one would find in the top bunk of a roomette.

Claustrophobic. Close, but no cigar, MDR! :)

And had8ley, I doubt Pinnochio would have a problem unless he started lying. :lol:

OK, I think I misread had8ley's comments. Didn't realize he meant the room made accessible to the handicapped, not a regular sleeper room.

Last edited by a moderator:
6' 7" tall, 320 lbs and I've slept in the upper bunk on a superliner many many times. It is awful coffin-like, and getting up there is easier than getting down, especially if you have to go to the bathroom B) .

Rick

While I've never actually pulled out a tape measure and measured things, I've always felt that there is a bit more room between the top bunk and the ceiling in rooms that are on the lower level when compared to rooms on the upper level of a Superliner car.

That said, the fact that you are in the family room will make a world of difference compared to a roomette, which is what most of us were talking about and describing. It may still be snug for you between the bed and the ceiling, but you will have a nice ladder to assist you in climbing up to the upper bunk, a whole lot more room to manuever yourself into that upper bunk, and you actually have a bit of a view over the rest of the room. This is especially true when compared to what one would find in the top bunk of a roomette.
I remember the old Heritige Bedroom upper where you could sit up in the upper. Of course I was a Kid back then. I wish they would have designed rooms of the Superliner that way. Of course your talking double decker vs single and tunnels are so high that a higher roof on the Superliner may not work through tunnels

We will be trying out the roomette on our trip in June. Is there a ladder to get to the upper bunk? If there is, where is it stored during the day?

My trip in May will be my first ever, but I believe there was a shot in the 360 degree preview on the Amtrak site showing that the little table where they had a box of kleenex actually turn into "steps" at night. Of course they could have changed that to a little ladder afterwards but I'm not seeing that.

Edit: OK, no it was a different website: http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/USA/Roomette/. You'll need Quicktime. Shots are courtesy of wkaemena.

ok, I see that in the picture!!!! I wondered about those little "shelves", it just didn't occur to me that they were really steps. :rolleyes:

ok, I see that in the picture!!!! I wondered about those little "shelves", it just didn't occur to me that they were really steps. :rolleyes:
Yep, and I can see where the modified Fosbury flop might be handy. Being that I'm 5' 1 1/2", probably not necessary for me. :lol:

Yup, those steps are the "ladder" in the roomette. One thing that may not be clear in the pictures though, is the safety strap on the upper bunk that helps to keep one from rolling out of the bed as the car sways during the night. While useful for the above purpose, it tends to make it a bit harder to climb into the bunk.

My trip in May will be my first ever, but I believe there was a shot in the 360 degree preview on the Amtrak site showing that the little table where they had a box of kleenex actually turn into "steps" at night. Of course they could have changed that to a little ladder afterwards but I'm not seeing that.

Edit: OK, no it was a different website: You'll need Quicktime. Shots are courtesy of wkaemena.
The link changed to http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/USA/Roomette/ because my old domain will be shut down soon. Even better would be to view all accommodations on a Superliner here in the complete tour: http://www.kaemena360.com/360/AmtrakSuperlinerTour/ or in this special tour consisting of Superliner Sleeper and Dining Car http://www.kaemena360.com/360/SuperlinerSleeperTour/

This is how much room you have up there (obviously, this is not me):

jpjuc4.jpg

The weight limit is extremely generous; however, it can bother anyone with claustrophobia. It's also not very wide, as you can see in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back