Westbound Sunset & Eastbound Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Smith

It has been a long time since I have had an opportunity to ride Amtrak. I have heard service has been going down hill and equipment cleanliness in the same direction. I am taking The Silver Star from Columbia, SC to Orlando. From Orlando to LAX on the Sunset Limited. Two days in LA then the Chief to Chicago and Capitol Limited to Washington and Silver Star back to Columbia. The entire trip on sleeping Car. Need to have some input from someone who has been on this route recently.

Bob Smith said:
It has been a long time since I have had an opportunity to ride Amtrak. I have heard service has been going down hill and equipment cleanliness in the same direction. I am taking The Silver Star from Columbia, SC to Orlando. From Orlando to LAX on the Sunset Limited. Two days in LA then the Chief to Chicago and Capitol Limited to Washington and Silver Star back to Columbia. The entire trip on sleeping Car. Need to have some input from someone who has been on this route recently.
Well, from experiences over the past two years, Amtrak service has improoved and while some of the equipment is a little worn, it's nonetheless clean. There has been some Sleeping Car shortages in the east, but that does not affect any of the trains you'll be on.

If you get a rebuilt Sleeper, you're likely to get new cushions for the seats and bedding. I slept like a baby for 11 hours on a recent Starlight trip...

Took the Zephyr and Chief last September, and everything was great. The thing that sucks now, no complimentary drinks, so I just brought some bottled sodas.

Cups and ice still available.

F40PHR231 said:
If you get a rebuilt Sleeper, you're likely to get new cushions for the seats and bedding. I slept like a baby for 11 hours on a recent Starlight trip...
Took the Zephyr and Chief last September, and everything was great. The thing that sucks now, no complimentary drinks, so I just brought some bottled sodas.

Cups and ice still available.
Not even bottled water is avalible in the sleepers? Do they give you any sort of coupon to be put toward a drink in the lounge?

Whether you have a rebuilt or unrebuilt sleeper, I think they have all recieved new matresses and bedding when going in for PM.

Bob, some things are so variable it is hard to make a good generalization. Things like rudeness, courtesy, attentiveness to the passengers,etc can vary so much from train to train, day to day, crew to crew. I would have to say in my travels I have not noticed any system wide significant changes. It would be good of course if you got some equipment with some of the improvements made that others above have mentioned.

I would say, just look forward to what could or should be a delightful trip. The thing I would worry about most is delays on the Sunset Limited into LA. Be careful about what activites you plan in LA for your day of arrival, try to make them some of the more "negotiable" features of your trip.

Alss, write back to us after the trip and let us know how it went. I'm hoping it will be fantastic for you!!

Amfleet said:
Not even bottled water is avalible in the sleepers? Do they give you any sort of coupon to be put toward a drink in the lounge?
No bottled water is still there. Also, you should be able to go into the lounge and get non-alcoholic beverages free of charge as a sleeping car passenger, some LSA's will say no, but you can do that. As far as equipment goes, the Sunset is almost entirely Superliner II, as the train is serviced in the East at Auto Train, which is a Superliner II terminal primarily. There's usually a Superliner I Snack Coach in consist, but other than that Superliner II for the most part. As for the Capitol and the Chief, they run with mostly Superliner I's, many of which have recieved refurbishments, and so on.

The thing I would worry about most is delays on the Sunset Limited into LA.

now this bothers me. we have tickets to get on this train in palm springs at an unmanned train station out in the middle of NOWHERE! and at 3:20 in the a.m.!

of course i will call for the train status ahead, but the uncertainity of connections makes me nervous too. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back