Westbound Wolverine 355 2 Hours Late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you afraid that Amtrak is losing money when customers get compensated like this?
We know they are, due to shining examples like this one. If Amtrak screws up, sure - they should be on the hook to compensate people. But for forces outside their control? Get real. You paid for a ticket to get from point A to point B while sitting in business class, and you were transported from point A to point B while sitting in business class.

Perhaps the money that they spend in "goodwill" type vouchers is a worthwhile investment in keeping repeat customers. Only Amtrak has the data to know for sure.

At least people can view within the thread that the motorcade was still might have been a major factor that contributed to the delay.
Fixed for accuracy.

You read the part where there were a lot of other things that delayed you, right?

Trust me, the politicians don't like it any more than you do. Perhaps if people would stop shooting them, it'd be a little less painful for everyone.
Of course the OP did.... :angry2: Let's be real Ryan, any time an Amtrak train is late there's always that one person who HAS to call CR and b**ch and moan and demand some kind of compensation. Granted this is something stupid to be complaining about.

Another question to raise is, was this signal work on the Amtrak section or foreign RR??
I agree with the OP, if the train is LATE, compensation is , IMHO, due. REGARDLESS of circumstances. Might not always get it, as tariff rules out many reasons why they may NOT compensate you. But one should ask anyway.

Americans are just plain "used" to trains being late, when in other countries, managers of operating RR are reamed out, or even dismissed, (I have only read reports, have no actual proof) when trains are MINUTES late, not, God forbid, HOURS.

I know well the differences and the "whys". But I still think part of it is because upper mgmt (not in this case tho) can "get away with it". As they think, "no one really cares if we arrive on-time, or 'even close' to on-time"

Similar thing (tho for different reasons) is happening with on-board services, food, and amenities. My kids kids will be happy riding Amtrak (or whatever it's named in the future), bringing their own sleeping linen, own food, and not EXPECTING any service, of any kind, only to arrive, SOME TIME near, the advertised arrival time.

And "so what" if it's a signal problem, vehicle crash, or snow storm? Let Amtrak reimburse ME, and then let Amtrak GO AFTER the host RR for compensation, or the vehicle owners insurance company, or the Snow God.

But seriously, Timetable says arrive at XX:xx. If you don't get me there DAMN CLOSE to that, for WHATEVER REASON, you will get a request from me for some type of compensation.

Stating that the tariff reads something to the effect, "We got you from Point A to Point B in biz class in nine hours, so you have no claim......." When the advertised time was two hours, just won't cut it for me.

Please people, hold companies, hold Amtrak, accountable, otherwise, they just lower their standards, 'cause no one really cares, and "it don't cost them nuttin'........"

If the delay is outside of their control, let Amtrak seek reimbursement from whatever entity caused the delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if our rail system wasn't a pseudo-government agency to begin with the operation would be run a lot more efficiently!
Hah! What utter poppycock! Dream on. Apparently you don't have much experience with the efficiency of non-government agencies ... er ... companies, or lack thereof. :p Certain airline companies, which by no stretch of imagination are pseudo-government agencies, come to mind. ;) And moreover, a significant part of the delays on the pseudo-government agency is caused by the completely non-government railroad operating companies. I suppose that must also be the fault of the government somehow? Being disconnected from reality does not necessarily make the argument or even the flip statements any more cogent.

Are you afraid that Amtrak is losing money when customers get compensated like this?
We know they are, due to shining examples like this one. If Amtrak screws up, sure - they should be on the hook to compensate people. But for forces outside their control? Get real. You paid for a ticket to get from point A to point B while sitting in business class, and you were transported from point A to point B while sitting in business class.

Perhaps the money that they spend in "goodwill" type vouchers is a worthwhile investment in keeping repeat customers. Only Amtrak has the data to know for sure.

At least people can view within the thread that the motorcade was still might have been a major factor that contributed to the delay.
Fixed for accuracy.
Your true colors just came out. You're clearly irritated at me for picking up the phone & calling up Amtrak to get any sort of compensation.

Believe me, if was flying via an airline and delayed for hours I'd also strongly consider complaining or requesting compensation from them as well.

You're pointing at me for being in business class. Well, business class ticket holders pay more per ticket than coach ticket holders. All the more reason Amtrak should be fighting for my business. I do have other options such as flying or driving. Besides, Amtrak makes its money in the Northeast Corridor & on the Acela, not on the Wolverine.

Fixed for accuracy.
Are you also upset at me for utilizing the Chase Amtrak credit card and the Amtrak Guest Rewards points system to purchase tickets? Lol, I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh yeah and one more thing. You & I have to pay for gas to get to work. Joe Biden and his politician friends also let us pay for their trips via taxes (putzing around Detroit giving a speech to the NAACP heheh). So you're mad that Amtrak is going to pay for my next trip via a travel certificate Ryan?

I see no problem with asking for compensation if there's a delay, even if the fault may not be directly Amtrak's fault. Granted, if it's outside of their control, I may not get any compensation, but often they've given some sort of compensation for the delay.

While this is not directly applicible to this case (though if the main delay was due to NS signal work, it would be,) I ask for compensation from Amtrak because I would expect Amtrak to ask for compensation from the host railroad if the host railroad causes the delay. If it's the host railroad's issue that causes the delay, I can't exactly call up NS or BNSF and demand compensation for an eight hour delay. However, depending on how Amtrak's contract is written they may be able to go up to the host railroad and ask for compensation. If they can get compensation from the railroad for the delays (and I would hope that their contract would allow them to,) why should I not be allowed to ask Amtrak for compensation for the delays?

You read the part where there were a lot of other things that delayed you, right?

Trust me, the politicians don't like it any more than you do. Perhaps if people would stop shooting them, it'd be a little less painful for everyone.
Of course the OP did.... :angry2: Let's be real Ryan, any time an Amtrak train is late there's always that one person who HAS to call CR and b**ch and moan and demand some kind of compensation. Granted this is something stupid to be complaining about.

Another question to raise is, was this signal work on the Amtrak section or foreign RR??
I agree with the OP, if the train is LATE, compensation is , IMHO, due. REGARDLESS of circumstances. Might not always get it, as tariff rules out many reasons why they may NOT compensate you. But one should ask anyway.

Americans are just plain "used" to trains being late, when in other countries, managers of operating RR are reamed out, or even dismissed, (I have only read reports, have no actual proof) when trains are MINUTES late, not, God forbid, HOURS.

I know well the differences and the "whys". But I still think part of it is because upper mgmt (not in this case tho) can "get away with it". As they think, "no one really cares if we arrive on-time, or 'even close' to on-time"

Similar thing (tho for different reasons) is happening with on-board services, food, and amenities. My kids kids will be happy riding Amtrak (or whatever it's named in the future), bringing their own sleeping linen, own food, and not EXPECTING any service, of any kind, only to arrive, SOME TIME near, the advertised arrival time.

And "so what" if it's a signal problem, vehicle crash, or snow storm? Let Amtrak reimburse ME, and then let Amtrak GO AFTER the host RR for compensation, or the vehicle owners insurance company, or the Snow God.

But seriously, Timetable says arrive at XX:xx. If you don't get me there DAMN CLOSE to that, for WHATEVER REASON, you will get a request from me for some type of compensation.

Stating that the tariff reads something to the effect, "We got you from Point A to Point B in biz class in nine hours, so you have no claim......." When the advertised time was two hours, just won't cut it for me.

Please people, hold companies, hold Amtrak, accountable, otherwise, they just lower their standards, 'cause no one really cares, and "it don't cost them nuttin'........"

If the delay is outside of their control, let Amtrak seek reimbursement from whatever entity caused the delay.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You get it.

I see no problem with asking for compensation if there's a delay, even if the fault may not be directly Amtrak's fault. Granted, if it's outside of their control, I may not get any compensation, but often they've given some sort of compensation for the delay.

While this is not directly applicible to this case (though if the main delay was due to NS signal work, it would be,) I ask for compensation from Amtrak because I would expect Amtrak to ask for compensation from the host railroad if the host railroad causes the delay. If it's the host railroad's issue that causes the delay, I can't exactly call up NS or BNSF and demand compensation for an eight hour delay. However, depending on how Amtrak's contract is written they may be able to go up to the host railroad and ask for compensation. If they can get compensation from the railroad for the delays (and I would hope that their contract would allow them to,) why should I not be allowed to ask Amtrak for compensation for the delays?
Hahah. You're not allowed to ask Amtrak for compensation because Ryan said so.

Pssh. Just kidding.

Your true colors just came out. You're clearly irritated at me for picking up the phone & calling up Amtrak to get any sort of compensation.
Nope. I'm not even irritated (as I've pointed out before, but you don't seem to be reading and understanding what people are telling you). I'm giving you a hard time for sticking to a narrative that meets your preconceived bias in the face of objective evidence against it.

You're pointing at me for being in business class.
Nope. I'm a BC/Sleeper guy myself, why would I be pointing at others that travel the same way?

Are you also upset at me for utilizing the Chase Amtrak credit card and the Amtrak Guest Rewards points system to purchase tickets? Lol, I wouldn't be surprised.
Nope. Almost all of my travel is "paid" through points (most of which come from my CSP usage, so Amtrak doesn't get any benefit at all.

You couldn't be more wrong, at least you're consistent.

Except for the part where I said the exact opposite, but hey, keep on being unencumbered by facts. It's serving you well.

Here, let me quote myself to remind you:

If Amtrak screws up, sure - they should be on the hook to compensate people.

Except for the part where I said the exact opposite, but hey, keep on being unencumbered by facts. It's serving you well.

Here, let me quote myself to remind you:

If Amtrak screws up, sure - they should be on the hook to compensate people.
Yeah but the core argument you're trying to make here is clearly that Amtrak didn't screw up here. And in a way I actually agree with that. Regardless of whose fault it is, my trip was about 3 hours & 18 minutes late reaching New Buffalo.

Whether or not Amtrak is the at-fault party doesn't dissuade me from calling into Customer Relations about my delay, however. That is where we clearly do not agree.

By this reasoning, it's not Amtrak's fault when there's a snowstorm in January either. I call Customer Relations about those trips as well.

Whether or not Amtrak is the at-fault party doesn't dissuade me from calling into Customer Relations about my delay, however. That is where we clearly do not agree.
That's really not the issue that's driven 4 pages of discussion.

The real issue was you clinging to a narrative that was shown to be incomplete, at best. I'm glad that you've moved on to accepting that Amtrak wasn't at fault this time around.

Yep, with snowstorms they should just cancel all trains like the airlines do.

Yep, with snowstorms they should just cancel all trains like the airlines do.
I'm quite thankful that they do operate in the winter, but Amtrak's crisis management practices & excessive delays tend to be questionable at times.

That's really not the issue that's driven 4 pages of discussion.

The real issue was you clinging to a narrative that was shown to be incomplete, at best. I'm glad that you've moved on to accepting that Amtrak wasn't at fault this time around.
That's fine with me. We can agree to disagree on the Customer Relations part at this point & call it a day. I agree with you that the delays were not Amtrak's fault per se. Some of the delays were someone's fault though. If Joe Biden was not in Detroit that day the motorcade delay definitely would not have factored in.

OK: I think we've had point, counterpoint, point, counterpoint, etc., etc., etc. So, maybe Biden was at fault for the delay, maybe NS was, maybe even sunspots. I think it is time to give it a rest.

As for asking for compensation, there is no harm in asking. After all, the contract of carriage is between the passenger and Amtrak. Any issue a passenger has with the transportation provided is with Amtrak. The decision whether to provide compensation is Amtrak's. If they review a request and feel, for whatever reason, that compensation is warranted, then the argument, if there is one, is with Amtrak, not the person who asked for compensation.

With that, I'm going to lock this topic. This one has been beaten to a bloody pulp in that oh so special Amtrak Unlimited way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back