Westbound Zephyr

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_shanghaiamtrak

hey i might take the westbound zephyr out of salt lake city to emeryville. Which side of the train is better for sightseeing?

IMHO both sides. :lol: As you go through the Denver area, Moffat Tunnel, and the Rocky Mountains, try to get yourelf a seat in the Sightseer Lounge. Since the lounge has large windows on both sides it's pretty easy to see out either direction. From what I know (which isn't much) favor the left side through Fraser Valley, you'll see the ski slopes of Winter Park immediately after you come out of Moffat, and then pass along residential areas into the Fraser Valley. I remember being about 10,000 feet up at Winter Park, and the view was, amazing to say the least. I still remember driving back towards our rented condo, and being stopped for the EB Zephyr. As it rolled by us I remember thinking, "Man I'd love to be on there some day." And to this day I still hope to get on there. I'd really love to work Denver crew base after I hire out, that's got to be a great route to run going west from Denver.

hey thanks for the info. what about continuing on west from salt lake city through the sierra nevada?

I generally say that the right side of the train, on the acent into the Rockies better. However once you make the pass, the canyons swich from side to side, so no side is consistantly better.

I agree with Batt. Both sides really but the ascent into the rockies is best (spectacular really) for a short while on the right. The sightseeing lounge is best. If you remain in a coach you 'll go nuts bouncing from one side of the car to the other. Stake a claim in the sightseer early.

Most of the people I've talked to say if you don't go up just after departure from Denver you won't have a seat when it comes time. Also don't forget there is no movement between cars while you're in Moffat.

Guest_shanghaiamtrak said:
hey i might take the westbound zephyr out of salt lake city to emeryville. Which side of the train is better for sightseeing?
The outside!

:lol:

You'll see wonderful things on both sides of the train. I'll concur what others have said: Get to the lounge early to get a good seat for leaving Denver. If you have to get off the train when you arrive in Denver, and it's nice to get out and walk around a little, get back early. Hit the head, grab your camera, binoculars, and whatever you'll need to sit awhile as you ascend into the Rockies. It's a magnificent trip.

Both sides are actually great from Salt Lake to Emeryville, but I always prefer the right side heading westbound. From Salt Lake to Reno it's mostly desert so the scenery is about the same. The Elko and Winnemucca stations are on the right side though along with most of their respective towns in case you're interested. From Reno to Truckee the Truckee River runs mostly along the right side of the train although it switches back and forth a few times. From Truckee to Colfax you will first see (Cold Stream?) Canyon on the right side and can see the front/rear of the train as you go around a tight horseshoe bend, then Donner Lake and Lake Spaulding will be visible down below on the right side. The onboard Calif. State Railroad Museum docents will provide details about the scenery from Reno to Sacramento, and will point out the neat fire lookout tower up on a hill (on the right side) as they ask you to "test your eyesight" by looking for it. If you happen to be running on time and it isn't dark a few hours later when the train travels between Martinez and Emeryville you will have a beautiful view of the Carquinez Strait and San Francisco Bay out the right side of the train. All in all this is a beautiful trip (I have taken it many times). Enjoy.

:)

Just keep in mind that if he gets on the train in Salt Lake and goes westward, he will not be going through the Rockies. The Rockies are to the east, on the way to Denver from Salt Lake. Going west, the train goes across the Utah and Nevada deserts, usually at night, though the sun is usually up before arriving in Sparks (where the train is serviced) and Reno. Westward out of Reno, the train begins its climb over the Sierras. Actually there are things to see out of both sides of the train. At first, the Truckee River is to the left of the train. As the train negotiates around Stanford Curve, the train curves to the right (where you can look out and see the forward part of the train) as it climbs the grade. As you get higher and higher, you can look down to see where you have just been as well as the broader vistas. After the summit tunnel, the train will be on a ledge passing through the American River Canyon, the river is then on the left side, and I usually stay there (on the left hand side) until at least Sacramento. However, at Roseville, if you look out the right side, you can see the track from the north that the Coast Starlight uses join with the eastwest mainline. There is the bridge over the Coquinez(?) Strait, which is a spectacular crossing no matter which way you look, although on the right side, you can watch the train curve around and descend to the Martinez station. From Martinez, the San Francisco Bay is on the right hand side. If the weather is clear, eventually you will be able to see the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and the skyline of the City of San Francisco.

thanks guys for your info. im still planning my trip, i actually might take the zephyr east (i am currently in montana).

thanks guys for your info. im still planning my trip, i actually might take the zephyr east (i am currently in montana).
Well if possible, I would recommend trying to travel on the westbound zephyr. Generally, the daylight is on your side for viewing of the scenery going westbound, while eastbound a lot of the scenic beauty is hidden under darkness, especially when running late.

WB from SAC to EMY I would recommend sitting on the right side to see the bay, and the SF skyline. EB I would suggest sitting ont he left side for the same reason.

hey thanks for the info. what about continuing on west from salt lake city through the sierra nevada?
The right side is good as you leave Truckee to go over Donner Pass. However, after you reach the summit, the left side is pretty good too. But I would go with the right side if possible.

This seems to have been very well answered, the only thing I could add is that if you are in a deluxe bedroom it is easy enough to move from one side to the other. I have seen plenty of people on their knees (yes, I now, it looks like "church") looking out the aisle widows, it is not a problem. Sometimes a sort of comradere develops,even.

It can be very hard getting a seat in the sightseeing lounge on the CZ.

I affirm that it is best to be on the train's right as you ascend the mountain westbound out of Denver, and I do prefer the westbound routine.I myself have been caught running late in the darkness comng East when the best scenery is in the dark. However.....one small reward....it is neat to look way off in the valley, to the left, and see the city lights of Denver if you are running late or the time difference is against you eastbound. After miles and miles of nothing human, to see the lights of a large city is a neat consolation prize.

thanks for all the info guys. hey do they have on board commentary provided by volunteers in the lounge car on the train going over the sierra's? or is this only in the summer?

shanghaiamtrak said:
thanks for all the info guys. hey do they have on board commentary provided by volunteers in the lounge car on the train going over the sierra's? or is this only in the summer?
Most of those guide programs only operate during the summer months. I'm not sure about the Zephyr, but it does tell you in the Amtrak Timetable when the program is in effect and on what trains.

AlanB said:
I'm not sure about the Zephyr, but it does tell you in the Amtrak Timetable when the program is in effect and on what trains.
Unfortunately, I do not believe The Zephyr offers narration during the winter as a norm. Its just summer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back