Western Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
So now that Amtrak has eliminated same day connections in Chicago to all the Western long distance trains, will they ever bring them back? I know probably not, but they do have a connection from Springfield to Galesburg, IL, to connect, 5/6 or 3/4, and 21/22. However there is no connection to the Builder, 7/8. I travel 7/8 the most and would like to take it all the way from ND to TX, but if I need to get home quickly, I have to avoid the train because of the overnight in Chicago. Will they provide a connection to 7/8? Say like to Milwaukee or Columbus or La Crosse would be nice.

Thoughts?

Chris

Well, if you are talking about a connection from the Texas Eagle (22) to the Empire Builder (7), then the fact is that #22 gets to Chicago five minutes after #7 has left. It’s tough to make a connection that way. So unless #22 is moved to an earlier time or #7 leaves later, then an overnight is unavoidable.

It should be noted that Amtrak has not eliminated same-day connections through Chicago to western long distance trains. Multiple east to west and west to east connections still exist. But all connections require the minimum time. In the absence that required connecting time, the connection will not be ticketed or guaranteed.

Last year I wanted to make that same connection - from the Texas Eagle to Empire Builder. I ended up just going to Denver via Galesburg.

Train 21/22 arrive and depart from Chicago too late to make a lot of the connections. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back