Westward HO!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
I just got tickets to go out to California and visit relatives in January and of course I'm taking the train- Three Rivers from Ohio to Chicago and then the Chief to LA. Got a sweet deal on ebay! I am also renting a car from Hertz at LA Union Station and planning on using Metrolink some too. Does anyone have any experience with car rental or commuter trains in LA? What are some train related "must sees" in southern California/Arizona? Thanks for any advice!

amtrakmichigan said:
He told me that driving in LA is a nightmare and takes a lot of time to get used to. So just becarefull.
huh huh - and he's not kidding! I am in Reno attending UNR but Los Angeles is my hometown and I won't even consider driving there. It's just completely NUTS! :blink:

Yes, the Hertz rental inside Union Station is easy enough though. Good luck navigating the city after leaving the station without a handful of accidents though. Metrolink is pretty cool and a good way to get around. MetroRail (red line, blue line, green line, gold line) are also a great way to get around and their brochures tell you all the attractions offered near each station stop: http://www.mta.net

Good luck - have fun in Hollywood. (Metro red line travels between Union Station and the downtown Hollywood area every five to six minutes).

I use the Metrolink system all the time out here in L.A. I cannot tolorate the traffic any more. It's the best way to get around. The Surfliner or Coast Starlight is fun trip up to Santa Barbera. Walking distance to the beach. Also, the Metrolink or Surfliner going south from LAUS stops in Ahaheim. Short cab ride to "Uncle Walts Magical Kingdom" (Disneyland) Here's the website for Metrolink: www.metrolinktrains.com Have fun and bring lots of money. The state is still in financial trouble!!

Wb

I'm from NYC and have to drive weekly in the Bay Area and I refuse to drive to or in Los Angeles the traffic is just terrible, too terrible for words at all hours of the day and night. However, I have to say that thr Red Line with the exception of the Hollywood Blvd, couple of downtown, and Universal City stops is about the most porly planned and under utilized transit routes in America. BART's SFO extension being 2d even if it is a great idea.

At least you'll enjoy good weather and the Gold Line is great to get to places like the Rose Bowl which were only accessible in the past either by cab or very spotty bus service.

I agree with you about driving in LA. I used to live in dairyland area (Chino-Corona-Ontario area), so I generally avoid driving on rush hour. It's really bad! It takes you about 2 hours on 45 miles trip on freeway!

It's rainy season. As a southern California native, commuters are really idiots driving in the rain, driving too close to other cars! Same thing in the fog or dust storm.

Whenever I go to California visiting my relatives or friends, my best thing to do is riding on Metrolink. It's very relaxing ride. I love looking at the freeway at 70 mph!

Gosh! Thanks guys! You sure know how to help a guy look forward to a vacation! :) Seriously, the only time I will be driving will be when I go to Arizona to visit my grandparents and hopefully I can time that to occur at non-rush hour times.

coachseats said:
Seriously, the only time I will be driving will be when I go to Arizona to visit my grandparents and hopefully I can time that to occur at non-rush hour times.
But you could take a short round-trip train ride from Los Angeles directly to Arizona...

Southwest Chief serves Kingman, Williams, Flagstaff, and Winslow.

Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle goes to Maricopa (Phoenix), Tucsan, and Benson.

Just a thought... B)

and if you take the train to Williams, AZ, I believe, that you can take a steam locomotive from Williams to the Grand Canyon.

http://www.thetrain.com/

I use to live in Los Angeles area, drove from Claremont (east of LA) to Hollywood -- it is not that bad, but it is true that when it rains the drivers do turn to idiots. I am going out to visit (from Michigan) for the holidays and am looking forward to using Metrolink and lines to get around. If you get in to Union Station in LA, it is a short walk to Olvera Street where you can get the best taquitos in the world at a little stand on the northeast corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back