what about small animals in carriers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have pretty much any dog certified as a service dog online for about $100. Once you have those credentials amtrak employees cannot even question to what your disability is. The coast starlight is prime example as the upper class with their purse dogs get them certified as therapy,seizure,comfort dogs etc. They ride frequently and there is nothing onboard staff can do. Even questioning it is a violation of policy.
There's so much misinformation in your post it's scary.

First off, Amtrak CAN ask you if the animal is a "service animal." If you say it is, even though you know it isn't and it's not trained to do anything, then you are a liar. You make it more difficult for persons with a disability with a legitimate service animal to live their daily lives without being scrutinized whether they are honest or dishonest about the true nature of their animal.

Second, Amtrak CAN ask you "what is the animal trained to do." "It's a therapy animal" or "it's keeps my anxiety level down" are incorrect answers. The question is "WHAT is the animal TRAINED to do?"

These questions are NOT a violation of the ADA.

Third, the ADA specifically states that an animals presence, simply for comfort IS NOT a service animal. The animal MUST be trained to perform a task. Simply sitting on ones lap or being near is not a task.

Fourth, the ADA absolutely DOES NOT require any form of certification for any service animal. Anyone with a legitimate disability knows this. If you pay $100 for papers declaring an animal is a "service animal", you got robbed.

Additionally, ALL service animals must be trained to behave. They must be socialized and house broken. Any service animal that misbehaves, is barking or growling at people or is otherwise disruptive or is not house broken can be denied passage and/or removed from the train.

Last edited by a moderator:

First off, Amtrak CAN ask you if the animal is a "service animal." If you say it is, even though you know it isn't and it's not trained to do anything, then you are a liar. You make it more difficult for persons with a disability with a legitimate service animal to live their daily lives without being scrutinized whether they are honest or dishonest about the true nature of their animal.

Second, Amtrak CAN ask you "what is the animal trained to do." "It's a therapy animal" or "it's keeps my anxiety level down" are incorrect answers. The question is "WHAT is the animal TRAINED to do?"

I have to disagree with you. Asking such questions of a disabled person have indeed been ruled illegal by the courts.

Of course, there is a "catch 22" because if you are not disabled, then Amtrak (or any business) is free to ask such questions. It is only if you are disabled, that the courts found such questions to be demeaning.

If you search around, there are many examples of restaurants getting caught up in this. And yes, there is no easy answer for them. If someone walks in with a dog, there is no way for them to legally challenge the person (if they are truly disabled) or inquire about the actual function of the dog. As were correct about, there is no ADA card issued to ID disabled people, nor any ADA ID for service dogs, for which, a business can ask to see.

I have to disagree with you. Asking such questions of a disabled person have indeed been ruled illegal by the courts.
Per the ADA, and upheld by courts, you CANNOT ask a person about his or her disability. You CAN ask about the animal itself but only to the extent that I stated above.

You would think disabled people and their advocates and their supporting organizations would be the first in line to address these rather glaring oversights. If all these loopholes and catch-22 situations are left unresolved they make abuse by others far too easy to perpetrate and far too difficult to prevent. As this abuse becomes more prevalent it risks delegitimizing the whole service animal process. Personally I never thought I'd ever be at odds with the ADA, but the more I learn about how incredibly rigid and opaque it is the less impressed I am. Why do people who can't easily traverse flat pavement need a dozen of parking spaces next to a rigorous hiking trail? Why does a simple train station active for all of six hours a week need to come with a million dollar construction bill? I don't want the whole ADA rolled back but it does sound like it could use some common sense reviews.

You can have pretty much any dog certified as a service dog online for about $100. Once you have those credentials amtrak employees cannot even question to what your disability is. The coast starlight is prime example as the upper class with their purse dogs get them certified as therapy,seizure,comfort dogs etc. They ride frequently and there is nothing onboard staff can do. Even questioning it is a violation of policy.

Third, the ADA specifically states that an animals presence, simply for comfort IS NOT a service animal. The animal MUST be trained to perform a task. Simply sitting on ones lap or being near is not a task.

Fourth, the ADA absolutely DOES NOT require any form of certification for any service animal. Anyone with a legitimate disability knows this. If you pay $100 for papers declaring an animal is a "service animal", you got robbed.

Additionally, ALL service animals must be trained to behave. They must be socialized and house broken. Any service animal that misbehaves, is barking or growling at people or is otherwise disruptive or is not house broken can be denied passage and/or removed from the train.
I didnt say ADA requires certification, I said you can get certification online.

I didnt mention ADA at all in fact you did. Amtrak policy is not to ask.

I would trust the Amtrak employee to know Amtrak policy, but that's just me.

Or we can go to the Service Standards manual:

b) Emotional Support Animal (comfort animals) –

If an animal is accompanying a disabled person

simply to provide emotional support, security or

comfort; then this animal is NOT considered to

be a service animal. This animal has not been

individually trained to perform a task. Therefore,

an “emotional support” animal is NOT a service

animal. Amtrak is not required to allow this animal to

accompany a disabled individual on-board the train.
c) Is This Your Pet

Credible verbal assurances is needed from the

passenger that the animal is a service animal. The

way to do this:

Ask the passenger, “Is this your pet?”

If the passenger responds that the animal is a

service animal and not a pet, but uncertainty

remains about the animal, you may ask

appropriate follow up questions.

• Ask the passenger, “What tasks or functions

does your animal perform for you?” or “What

has it been trained to do for you?”

The passenger must respond that the animal

acts as a guide, notifies of a seizures, etc.

Employees may not ask the passenger what

his/her disability is or the cause of the disability.

• Although there may be a few people who try

to “beat the system” by bringing pets on-board

the train, most passengers with disabilities

claiming to have service animals really do have

service animals.

• Since access for persons with disabilities traveling

with service animals is a civil right covered

under the ADA, employees should err on the

side of caution by permitting access to passenger

areas. If the animal looks like a service animal

and the customer says it is a service animalwelcome

the animal aboard.

d) Not a Service Animal

• If an animal is determined not to be a service

animal or if the service animal poses a direct

threat to others, the animal can be denied

access to Amtrak premises.

• On the rare occasion that an animal has to be

excluded from Amtrak premises, you should

handle the situation in a polite and professional

manner.

• When an animal is excluded from Amtrak

premises while en route, the employee making

this decision must complete a “Passenger Incident

I didnt say ADA requires certification, I said you can get certification online.

You are correct, you did not mention the ADA. However, the implication from your post is that a piece of paper, a "certification", means an animal is a service animal. It does not and it is not consistent with either the ADA or Amtrak policy.

Just for additional info, Amtrak sends every employee to annual refresher training. This includes FRA mandated training in addition to blocks of CPR, first aid, customer service, sexual harassment, diversity, the ADA and other topics. The ADA class have been held for several years in a row now and are taught by Amtrak's legal department. Real high paid attorneys travel around the country to all the crew bases and give this class. There are also instructors who are persons with disabilities. They are who teach the ADA to Amtrak employees. That being said, I'm pretty sure they get it right.

Wow...awesome! Service dogs rock :wub: Thanks for the info :D

A designated pet room, presumably roomette, is a good idea. I suspect many pets are less intrusive than some passengers, but I understand allergies are a problem for some. Pre-Amtrak I recall looking in the windows of the sleepers on Florida trains and it was fairly common to see a french poodle or other small dog in the lap of its owner looking back at me. And, as someone mentioned, in Europe dogs are often on trains (and in restaurants). It is also interesting that in high end hotels, it is now not unusual to see pets (as well as at the lower end Super 8 type motels). Certainly taking our Basset Hound on the train for a trip would save a lot of kennel expense and make our dog and its owner much happier!

A designated pet room, presumably roomette, is a good idea. I suspect many pets are less intrusive than some passengers, but I understand allergies are a problem for some. Pre-Amtrak I recall looking in the windows of the sleepers on Florida trains and it was fairly common to see a french poodle or other small dog in the lap of its owner looking back at me. And, as someone mentioned, in Europe dogs are often on trains (and in restaurants). It is also interesting that in high end hotels, it is now not unusual to see pets (as well as at the lower end Super 8 type motels). Certainly taking our Basset Hound on the train for a trip would save a lot of kennel expense and make our dog and its owner much happier!
A better idea:

Well hello, Poopsie! I see your owner is in the diner and they left you all alone in the room. Would you like to go out for a walk? Sure, just come along on your leash. Let me open the door for you. Now don't mid the rocking. Here, I'll tie your 'Poopsie Sleeping Basket' to your leash and I'll put it outside. Then it will be easy for you to follow it. Bye!"

A better idea:

Well hello, Poopsie! I see your owner is in the diner and they left you all alone in the room. Would you like to go out for a walk? Sure, just come along on your leash. Let me open the door for you. Now don't mid the rocking. Here, I'll tie your 'Poopsie Sleeping Basket' to your leash and I'll put it outside. Then it will be easy for you to follow it. Bye!"
Someone had a spaniel in the Apple Store an hour ago.

A better idea:

You don't have to like pets, but advocating animal cruelty isn't very nice. And yes, throwing a living creature out of a moving train would absolutely be inhumane and cruel, regardless of how you feel about having pets on a train.

A better idea:

You don't have to like pets, but advocating animal cruelty isn't very nice. And yes, throwing a living creature out of a moving train would absolutely be inhumane and cruel, regardless of how you feel about having pets on a train.
Agreed. That post was just cruel.

I so agree with you...the world is evolving when it comes to pet travel and making it easier. Amtrak has fallen behind in my opinion...and I know so many people that won't use Amtrak because of this. This forum seems to be somewhat full of pet "haters" and unfriendlys (which is really sad, and notice I didn't say all)...so it's great to see posts like this. :) Here's hoping to see you in the pet section high end someday ...he he he

A better idea:

This post is exactly what I was talking about when I said this forum is somewhat (not all) full of pet haters...it's sad ....this person is sick and needs help.

I don't hate pets, I have several of them.

There's just no place for them on Amtrak, and instance that there is belies a fundamental ignorance of the operational challenges that maintaining a separate fleet of "pet" and "non" pet cars would entail.

A better idea:

The two of you need to lighten up. I have had pets all my life. My two grown sons have pets. We have volunteered and financially helped pet rescues and humane societies.

A better idea:

Hope you like hanging out with people like Micheal Vick. He got his last week. IMHO, you could jump off the train while its moving. Just make sure you dont jump on the side where there is a track. Don't what to delay freight traffic. No place for animal cruelty in my book.

Fellows, as was said, ligten up! :rolleyes: Its the holidays, no place for Animal or People Cruelty on Amtrak! I personally dont want dogs and cats in my car, but I understand how great pets can be AT HOME where they belong! :excl: :excl: :excl: (And youre right about Vick, Vince Young is much more a Winner than that thug, and I hate the Eagles! :angry2: Roll Cowboys! :wub: )

when I rode the Alaska RR's winter train they were picking up dog sled teams along the route. They mostly stayed in the baggage car, but one lady brought her Husky through the coach. I was big as a small horse. I have no idea what their policy is in the summer on the tourist trains.

RE: KITTY ON TRAIN: We have an adorable black kitty plus two dogs. I might like having them with me on an occasional train ride. However, Amtrak has fixed consists and limited amounts of accommodations. In case anyone hasn't heard, they are very short of equipment and are continually fighting for their continued existence due to funding problems. It isn't financially feasible to have designated cars or areas for pets on Amtrak. I will just kennel my animals when I ride the train. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back