WHAT AMTRAK REALLY NEEDS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington

Service Attendant
If Amtrak really wants to gain ridership, they should become a type of hybrid transportation between an airplane and a cruise ship. The more comfortable people feel on the train, the more they will be willing to put up with slow trains and delays. People are usually taking the train to get to a specific destination, but they are really in no hurry of getting there or they would be flying. Amtrak needs the following:

1. Wi-fi on all of their trains: This is a must and should be implemented immediately. More and more people are carrying their laptops wherever they go and this is one huge advantage they could have over the airlines.

2. TV's at every seat on LD trains ala Jetblue Airlines: Yeah it will cost some money to implement but people will complain much less about trains being stopped for an hour in the middle of a cornfield if they are busy watching American Idol at the time. Sleeper cars could have 12-16 inch flat screens. If you can have TV's on airplanes and ships, you can definitely have them on trains.

3. Lounge car with bar seating and televisions: Big sporting events could be played in the evening as well as news programs and talk shows during the day. People could get together with their friends or meet strangers on a train over a beer while watching the game on TV. World Series/Superbowl/Playoff games are important to people.

4. Games available in the lounge car. This is an easy one. Get a few games of Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and Uno and people will be entertained for hours while still watching the scenery go by. Maybe a couple of organized games of Bingo for the elderly? Or friendly game tournaments organized among passengers with maybe small prizes awarded.

5. Movies shown in the bottom half of the lounge car for ALL passengers. These could be movies very newly released to DVD or, if possible, movies showing in theaters. A small charge could be put on these tickets.

6. Other activities such as wine tasting on all trains, at least for first class passengers. These activities could make the journey a little more interesting since people riding the long distance trains might not be railfans or scenery people but maybe people afraid to fly or close to a train station.

These things could make riding the rails more of an experience than a means to get somewhere. It may go a long way toward taking people off trains and buses and getting them to the rails.

If Amtrak really wants to gain ridership, they should become a type of hybrid transportation between an airplane and a cruise ship. The more comfortable people feel on the train, the more they will be willing to put up with slow trains and delays. People are usually taking the train to get to a specific destination, but they are really in no hurry of getting there or they would be flying. Amtrak needs the following:
1. Wi-fi on all of their trains: This is a must and should be implemented immediately. More and more people are carrying their laptops wherever they go and this is one huge advantage they could have over the airlines.

2. TV's at every seat on LD trains ala Jetblue Airlines: Yeah it will cost some money to implement but people will complain much less about trains being stopped for an hour in the middle of a cornfield if they are busy watching American Idol at the time. Sleeper cars could have 12-16 inch flat screens. If you can have TV's on airplanes and ships, you can definitely have them on trains.

3. Lounge car with bar seating and televisions: Big sporting events could be played in the evening as well as news programs and talk shows during the day. People could get together with their friends or meet strangers on a train over a beer while watching the game on TV. World Series/Superbowl/Playoff games are important to people.

4. Games available in the lounge car. This is an easy one. Get a few games of Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and Uno and people will be entertained for hours while still watching the scenery go by. Maybe a couple of organized games of Bingo for the elderly? Or friendly game tournaments organized among passengers with maybe small prizes awarded.

5. Movies shown in the bottom half of the lounge car for ALL passengers. These could be movies very newly released to DVD or, if possible, movies showing in theaters. A small charge could be put on these tickets.

6. Other activities such as wine tasting on all trains, at least for first class passengers. These activities could make the journey a little more interesting since people riding the long distance trains might not be railfans or scenery people but maybe people afraid to fly or close to a train station.

These things could make riding the rails more of an experience than a means to get somewhere. It may go a long way toward taking people off trains and buses and getting them to the rails.
While these all seem to be great ideas, there is the perception in Congress that the taxpayer should not be subsidizing the First Class

amenities you have mentioned. They have heart aches when the term - Land Cruise - is mentioned.

I also am not sure what kind of TV Jet Blue offers, but I don't beleive it is live feed for things like sporting events, Super Bowl type operations, etc.

Wine tasting, movies on board, wi-fi are all more plausible, but the idea of TVs at every seat would amount to an astronomical investment in capital even without the fees needed to pay to get content for the TVs.

We already call x-country Amtrak travel our "land yacht" or "dry cruise", and enjoy the heck out of it. :)

Gotta take issue with American Idol, I ride the trains to get away from that stuff. Hopefully earphones would be the rule.

Where would you put a 16" flat screen in a roomette? On the ceiling?

Please, no games in the lounge car, this is for sightseeing and relaxing. Bring a gameboy and play it in your seat. Same goes for the TV and sports. I feel like this is too much and would wreck the traveling by train experience. Just my 2 cents, but it seems like the train would be turned into a bus depot waiting room.

PS

I just can't get over your member name, it's great!

I agree with wifi - I think it would really help to bring business travelers and such on board. However, large parts of the country are without broadband cellular coverage and satellite coverage is very, very pricey - making wifi an expensive option most won't want to pay for. But I see this being great in corridors. I think I heard this was being tested in California some time ago.

The TVs are an interesting idea. But then why not just fly JetBlue? Part of the appeal to me of train travel is the ability to see the country, watch the scenery, and interact with others on the train (I also enjoy the ability to bring my laptop along and comfortably get work done). If I planned to watch TV from coast to coast, why did I decide to sit for three days on a train? I'd just have bought a JetBlue ticket. I suppose it makes sense for the fear-of-flying crowd, but otherwise I can't see the appeal. I do see this being appealing on corridor services - something to ease boredom for a several hour ride on the Vermonter perhaps (once you've done it 25 times or so, you know what the scenery looks like, and I can see more of a comparison between plane/train travel on a corridor route). But I wonder if that's too limited an application for it - and then you'd see some cars with and without the service, which would make things much more complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Amtrak really needs, really...

1. Lawyers to keep riding host RRs butts about obeying right-of-way laws.

2. Money from the Federal Government to improve trackage in high-demand areas on freight routes. In MO, MO DOT went in almost 50.50 with UP to extend a siding to allow their trains to yield to Amtrak.

3. New cars for the Eastern LD routes, as well as new bags.

4. Refurbishment of all Superliner cars. Sleepers to the "Empire" standard and coaches with a set of outlets at every seat.

5. The repeal of SDS's more offensive policies.

6. The customization and marketing of individual trains as unique. The CS has the PPC, the EB has the new sleepers and real plates, and now many trains have "localized" menus. This is the right direction, it needs to continue.

After that, then you can talk to me about land cruises.

I also am not sure what kind of TV Jet Blue offers, but I don't beleive it is live feed for things like sporting events, Super Bowl type operations, etc.
As a former JetBlue employee, I can assure you it is a live feed. The aircraft pick up Direct TV signals and offer 36 live channels as well as movies and other non-live programing. The systems are produced by a company called LiveTV, which was purchased by JetBlue early on and remains a wholly owned subsidiary. They also offer live XM satellite radio on board.

As a former JetBlue employee, I can assure you it is a live feed. The aircraft pick up Direct TV signals and offer 36 live channels as well as movies and other non-live programing. The systems are produced by a company called LiveTV, which was purchased by JetBlue early on and remains a wholly owned subsidiary. They also offer live XM satellite radio on board.
Thanks, I was not aware it was live feed. I would have to agree with some of the above posters however that most people are not interested in spending their time on the train in front of a TV and TVs in the lounge would be intrusive at best.

2. Money from the Federal Government to improve trackage in high-demand areas on freight routes. In MO, MO DOT went in almost 50.50 with UP to extend a siding to allow their trains to yield to Amtrak.

4. Refurbishment of all Superliner cars. Sleepers to the "Empire" standard and coaches with a set of outlets at every seat.

6. The customization and marketing of individual trains as unique. The CS has the PPC, the EB has the new sleepers and real plates, and now many trains have "localized" menus. This is the right direction, it needs to continue.

Exactly. Amtrak doesn't need their trains filled up with tvs, etc..

cpamtfan-Peter

JetBlue, incidentally, is far from low-budget airlines... you're making a lot of interesting suggestions, but in practice these things aren't always possible. They may make coach class more "fun" however, you're also making the cost of a coach ticket more expensive.

And last time I checked, JetBlue had a very limited market share, esp. when compared to big low-budget domestic service like AirTran or domestic Delta.

JetBlue, incidentally, is far from low-budget airlines... you're making a lot of interesting suggestions, but in practice these things aren't always possible. They may make coach class more "fun" however, you're also making the cost of a coach ticket more expensive.
And last time I checked, JetBlue had a very limited market share, esp. when compared to big low-budget domestic service like AirTran or domestic Delta.
Just have to defend my former employer here... :)

Not to turn this into Flyertalk, but JetBlue isn't as small as you may think (or, perhaps, Airtran not as big). In the last year JetBlue had 4.2% of the domestic market, while Airtran only had 3.3%. Delta, yes, has 10.8%, but now you're talking about a legacy carrier and that's a whole different type of operation.

Not to turn this into Flyertalk, but JetBlue isn't as small as you may think (or, perhaps, Airtran not as big). In the last year JetBlue had 4.2% of the domestic market, while Airtran only had 3.3%. Delta, yes, has 10.8%, but now you're talking about a legacy carrier and that's a whole different type of operation.

I also notice that even though Delta captures just over twice the domestic market, they make nearly three times in domestic revenue....

I also notice that even though Delta captures just over twice the domestic market, they make nearly three times in domestic revenue....
If you throw in NW to the DL figures, you get about 16%, but that will diminish as they consolidate duplicate routes over the next few months.

:) Pretty good idea about wifi but lots of folks ride the train to get away from work/cell phones are convient to call

but who wants calls when they are on the EB or CS or CZor any other beautiful scenery train(well the desert ones

are an acquired taste for sure! :lol: )The best thing to do is to restore the cuts in staffing to the LD trains,

like its already been said fix the menu/food problems in the diner, bring back cognac( :lol: )and maybe for the LD

trains have a Parlor Car like the CS for first class passengers!Any thoughts about having an observation car on

the rear of LD trains perhaps limited to adults for cool beverages( :) and quietness.Amtrak big shots need to get out

of the office and ride the trains more, especially ones that need the most help like the Cardinal,TE and CONO>

TVs/Games etc. are for excitement junkies, who wants to have their entertainment consist of "American

Idol" and other crap like that?? :lol: Ive thought as a night owl that if they could increase the late hours on the

LD trains in the Lounge/Diner etc. that more adults and cool people would hang out instead of being in a

lonely diner or sitting in their coach seat or room when they couldnt sleep!This is a great topic!!!!! :) :) :)

While people wouldnt spend 24 hours a day watching the televisions, it could probably get a little boring for some people in the shorter evenings of the winter staring out into the darkness. Also, if all members of the party aren't interested in the scenery along the way, these things could provide valuable alternatives. If there was entertainment and scenery, the experience could be that much greater. It could also be used for people who would rather wake up in a city in the morning and not have to get up early to fly.

Wifi: Is currently available on some (Downeaster I think) amtrak trains as a "test" I have read. I agree, wi-fi should be available on all trains as soon as possible if it is not a tremendous expense (which it shouldn't be).

TV's at every seat: Amtrak tried this... kinda. I remember they had TV coaches on the Silver Trains back in the day where every 3 or 4 rows maybe there was a tv hanging from the ceiling and they would show movies throughout the journey. While it wasn't at every seat, this idea has been done before.

TV's in the lounge: Amtrak has shown movies in the lounge cars before... I'm not sure if they still do but I think they may.

TV's in the Sleepers: Amtrak did have small tv's that showed tv shows and movies in the Viewliner cars at one time. They no longer have them, I heard it was mostly maintenance issues, but not really sure if thats true. I remember whatching Bruce Almighty for the first time on the Crescent though... HA!

Games in the lounge: I beleive this is available in the PPC on the Coast Starlight.

Wine Tastings for 1st Class Passengers: This is happening, it used to be only on the Starlight, now its on the Builder too. They have a wine and cheese reception for the LSL departing chicago, and my dad told me about a 1st class reception in the diner on the sunset limited trip that he just took last month (he said it was coffee, juice, bottled water, fruit, pastries, chips, things like that). I agree that these things are great, and should be seen on as many trains as practical.

I guess what I'm saying is that everything you have suggested Amtrak has done or is trying out, so none of these ideas are new to amtrak.

In reply to people who are wanting to "get away from it" no one is stopping you from turning off your wi-fi on your computer, or just sitting back and not watching the movie. Even people like me who love watching out the windows enjoy seeing a movie or checking web sites now and then :)

However, most people bring along there own personal media players now, so I'm not sure if at seat tv's are really necessary. Most people who really need internet have it all the time on there phone, or through a wireless card, so I'm not sure how neccessary that is either.

I'm kinda 50/50 on all of these things. I'm all for the "extras" but I do count them as extras, not neccessary for a transportation company to provide.

Yes, immediately. Folks on here see more value in trains than normal folks, but for normal folks they want to get from point A to B and wifi makes traveling less painful.

Netbooks and portable DVD players are cheap, if I want my own entertainment I will bring it. This would take a huge investment

For the love of god no. I don't want to hear that crap. Maybe CNN on mute with subtitles or a screen with the GPS location of the train.

If you want games just bring them yourself. I mean its not too hard to pack a deck of cards

Movies are nice, but don't charge.

How about opening up the dining car (or at least part of it) for sleeper passengers as a lounge during non dining hours. Table service for drinks and snacks and such. It would really class things up for sleeper passengers

How about opening up the dining car (or at least part of it) for sleeper passengers as a lounge during non dining hours. Table service for drinks and snacks and such. It would really class things up for sleeper passengers
I love this idea.

To each his own, I guess. But this is basically all a load of crap. I agree with a previous poster; I travel by rail to relax and get away from all the electronic garbage (outside of my GPS & scanner!).

I have to agree with ALC Rail Writer here. These items would be a much better investment in improving train travel that having a bunch of TV's and board games. Hey, you're on a train, look out the window, interact with your fellow travelers. If you want to be constantly amused take an hour or two to fly to your destination and spend your time in a hotel room or just stay home.

I must admit, I enjoyed the TV sets built in the back of seats on an Aer Lingas flight from Dublin to Chicago a year ago. Old TV shows, movies, games. It was cool, but I was stuck on a plane in a tight seat with no place else to go and just clouds to look at out the window!

I love this idea.
Not gonna happen. The Amtrak employees frequently use the dining car on off hours to relax on their breaks and chat with fellow employees.

I love this idea.
Not gonna happen. The Amtrak employees frequently use the dining car on off hours to relax on their breaks and chat with fellow employees.
It's not worth opening up the diner for such an idea. There is simply no time available to make it worth while. Consider that the last seating for lunch under SDS is at 3:00 PM. That means if they eat fast, the passengers in that seating are done by 4:00 PM. First seating for Dinner is 5:00 PM. And somewhere in between 4 & 5, the dining car crew has to clean the tables and reset them for dinner.

So turning it into a lounge would mean that sleeping car pax might get to sit there for a 1/2 hour. Simply not worth the effort.

TV's in the lounge: Amtrak has shown movies in the lounge cars before... I'm not sure if they still do but I think they may.
That's been eliminated on all trains, except for the Auto Train.

TV's in the Sleepers: Amtrak did have small tv's that showed tv shows and movies in the Viewliner cars at one time. They no longer have them, I heard it was mostly maintenance issues, but not really sure if thats true. I remember whatching Bruce Almighty for the first time on the Crescent though... HA!
Maintenance was part of the problem, but the bigger part was theft of the equipment and the tapes themselves, not to mention the cost of obtaining the first run movies.

Thanks Alan! I haven't ridden many superliner trains lately so I wasn't sure if the sightseers still showed the movies or not.

Thats a shame people were stealing video equipment from the sleepers... shame shame I say!

Spoerts broadcasts in the lounge? Another reason not to travel Amtrak.

A barman and drinks steward would lift the luxury aspect and probably pay for itself.

A barman and drinks steward would lift the luxury aspect and probably pay for itself.
Does the PPC for itself?

The lounge SA serves many premium spirits and beers-- I don't know how they could get any better unless you bring a whole bar car on board, which may detract from the family-friendly environs that Amtrak likes to live by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back