What are the Advantages of Red Cap Service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
How much does red cap cost, If anything? Will it get me to my train faster/better seat? Is it worth it at PDX? Do the red cap customers board before the others? Just info about Red Cap service at PDX or in general. Thanks :)

Red Caps don't cost anything but most people tip them. Generally, I think, they take you to the train before general boarding.

How much does red cap cost, If anything? Will it get me to my train faster/better seat? Is it worth it at PDX? Do the red cap customers board before the others? Just info about Red Cap service at PDX or in general. Thanks :)
If you are in a Sleeper you will be using the nice Metro Lounge @ PDX which has its own exit door to the Platforms and priority boarding! So unless you have heavy Luggage you won't need a Red Cap!

If you're in Biz Class or Coach seats are assigned inside the Station and you Line up @ the Gates to the Platforms so a Red Cap might get you to the Train with your Luggage before the rush without waiting in the sometimes long line,( there are sometimes several trains in Union Station @ the same time Cascades, Empire Builder, Starlight and Specials all use the Station)so if you're not familiar with the Station and trains a Red Cap isn't a bad idea! As was said, tips are optional but a couple of dollars a bag is nice!

I use Red Caps when ever possible. Best $5.00 I've ever spent. At 76, the wife and I don't need to be draggin' luggage around.

Indeed, bad knees love Red Caps!

Arriving at PDX I've had some that would take us from the train clear out to the light rail stop outside the depot and across one street. That the kind of extra service that gets an extra good tip.

If you ever come to the East Coast, they are definitely worth it. Boarding at NYP (New York) is a zoo, even if you're in the Club Acela and they announce the tracks early. Washington can also be a mess. Certainly worth if if your bags are too heavy.

My best experience was with skycaps (pretty much the same thing) when I took the family on a camping trip to California. Each iof us was packing 2 large duffel bags of camping gear in addition to our carry ons. The cancelled the flight before we left BWI, and they rebooked us via National in Washington. We had to claim our 6 duffels from baggage claim, haul them up to the curb where the van to National was waiting, and then take them out and recheck them. Without the help of the skycaps, it would have been hell. My daughter was 8 at the time, so she wasn't too much help with her 2 duffels. That skycap got a nice tip.

The best $5 I ever spent was on a Red Cap at Boston South Street Station (thanks to advice garnered here). He got us on to our Acela before the arriving passengers had even finished leaving the train, thus insuring our preferred pair of seats on the left side of the train.

The best $5 I ever spent was on a Red Cap at Boston South Street Station (thanks to advice garnered here). He got us on to our Acela before the arriving passengers had even finished leaving the train, thus insuring our preferred pair of seats on the left side of the train.
I thought they normally brought in the trains from the yard after a cleaning at BOS. They don't normally just de-train and reboard new pax going south.
That being said maybe they only do that for certain trains and I'm wrong. I'm certain that what you are describing is accurate but I'm not sure that is the norm.

Aloha

The Value depends on yourself. Every time I used a redcap I have always felt it was worth it!

I thought they normally brought in the trains from the yard after a cleaning at BOS. They don't normally just de-train and reboard new pax going south.
That being said maybe they only do that for certain trains and I'm wrong. I'm certain that what you are describing is accurate but I'm not sure that is the norm.
Most AE trains for instance 2150 turns for 2167. They just leave the train in station and perform work on the platforms. Quicker and easier then taking the set to Southampton.

Most AE trains for instance 2150 turns for 2167. They just leave the train in station and perform work on the platforms. Quicker and easier then taking the set to Southampton.
Thanks. The train my H takes daily home generally comes from the yard but I wonder if they have more time to do that for certain regionals.

Thanks. The train my H takes daily home generally comes from the yard but I wonder if they have more time to do that for certain regionals.
Regional Trains do indeed run the loop track at Southampton get cleaned and return for a run back west. But only I think 3 trains return same day. Not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back