What Are your views on Rail Orientated Developments?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexis4Jersey

Service Attendant
So what do you think about them? I Personally love them because they replace disgusting Trackside Blight with Dense Retail , Residential and Commercial space. They also boost Ridership on Transit corridors or Rail lines....as high as 17,000 per station like at Newport in Jersey City. While the Northeast and parts of the Midwest have some the old and original ROD / TOD it seems areas out west and in Canada are now playing catch up and fast. Denver , Salt Lake City , San Diego , DC , Northern Virgina , Seattle , Portland , Calgary , Vancouver and Edmonton are all seeing a boom in TOD.... Northern VA , and DC are exploding along every Transit Corridor including the spectacular Tyson's Corner Revelopment project & Potomac Yards Project which will add at least 90-170,000 more commuters (depends on how many corridors get built) to the DC Metro and VRE network.... Not to say there aren't big ROD projects in the Northeast , Harrison,NJ , Jersey City , The Amboys , White Plains , Brooklyn, Hoboken and Queens are transforming there Industrial spaces into Dense living areas.... The Most Famous project and noticed by Engineers and Fanners alike is the Harrison redevelopment plan , transforming the warehouses into a city within a city should be completed by 2018. Phase 1 , 2 are completed....the project calls for restoring the Harrison Morristown line station and Building a New Interchange on I-280. White Plains and Stamford are 2 other cities that are building up a ton of ROD , by 2020 there should be no surface parking loys in White Plains and a New Metro North station.

Tysons highlighted as global example for smart growth

Harrison Redevelopment

Speaking of Morristown Line, don;t forget the transit village that has been developed at Morristown station.

If you want to see an amazing proliferation of Transit Oriented Development you have to see what is happening around LRT stations in Denver! I was amazed that such an inherently car oriented place would naturally start developing those what are essentially transit villages around those stations.

So what do you think about them? I Personally love them because they replace disgusting Trackside Blight with Dense Retail , Residential and Commercial space. They also boost Ridership on Transit corridors or Rail lines....as high as 17,000 per station like at Newport in Jersey City. While the Northeast and parts of the Midwest have some the old and original ROD / TOD it seems areas out west and in Canada are now playing catch up and fast. Denver , Salt Lake City , San Diego , DC , Northern Virgina , Seattle , Portland , Calgary , Vancouver and Edmonton are all seeing a boom in TOD.... Northern VA , and DC are exploding along every Transit Corridor including the spectacular Tyson's Corner Revelopment project & Potomac Yards Project which will add at least 90-170,000 more commuters (depends on how many corridors get built) to the DC Metro and VRE network.... Not to say there aren't big ROD projects in the Northeast , Harrison,NJ , Jersey City , The Amboys , White Plains , Brooklyn, Hoboken and Queens are transforming there Industrial spaces into Dense living areas.... The Most Famous project and noticed by Engineers and Fanners alike is the Harrison redevelopment plan , transforming the warehouses into a city within a city should be completed by 2018. Phase 1 , 2 are completed....the project calls for restoring the Harrison Morristown line station and Building a New Interchange on I-280. White Plains and Stamford are 2 other cities that are building up a ton of ROD , by 2020 there should be no surface parking loys in White Plains and a New Metro North station.

Tysons highlighted as global example for smart growth

Harrison Redevelopment
Here are some websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit-oriented_development

http://www.transitorienteddevelopment.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
They're starting work on a great deal of development around the MARC station here in Odenton. If I were in a position to be moving, I would certainly give living within walking distance of the train station a hard look. We could also use some more retail in the center of town, so overall I think that it'll be a win for everyone in town.

They're starting work on a great deal of development around the MARC station here in Odenton. If I were in a position to be moving, I would certainly give living within walking distance of the train station a hard look. We could also use some more retail in the center of town, so overall I think that it'll be a win for everyone in town.
I know MD is TODing up the Brunswick line due to Gaithersburg and the CCT project. Those Developments alone should add 15-25,000 more commuters to the Brunswick line according to an Urban planner friend. Theres a few stations along the Camden line @ Riverdale , College Park (large Scale Development) , Greenbelt (large Scale Development) , Muikirk (Large Scale Development) , Jessup , St. Denis , Camden station and area ( Large Scale Development) , the Developments would be Dense mostly cities within a city like Gaithersburg will be. With the Exception of Baltimore.... For the Penn line TOD is planned @ Aberdeen (large Scale Development) , Edgewood , Baltimore Penn station area ( Dense High Rise Developments) , West Baltimore area (large Scale super Dense Development) , Halethrone (large scale development) , BWI Airport area (large Scale Development) , Bowie (large Scale Development) , Seabrook , New Carrollton (large Scale Development)..... The Penn line will be very dense 20 years form now if everything gets built up...

Speaking of Morristown Line, don;t forget the transit village that has been developed at Morristown station.

If you want to see an amazing proliferation of Transit Oriented Development you have to see what is happening around LRT stations in Denver! I was amazed that such an inherently car oriented place would naturally start developing those what are essentially transit villages around those stations.
The Plan for Morristown is to turn the entire Downtown into a Dense Residential / Commercial area. Morristown is also becoming the Hoboken of Western NJ. Alot of commuter singles and couples are moving there , so there is high demand for housing. So hopefully by the mid 2020s Morristown will be a dense small city. I'll break the TOD down by each NJT line.

Pascack Valley line

Nanuet

Pearl River

Montvale

Park Ridge - completed

Westwood

Emerson - Completed

New Bridge landing

Anderson street - Completed , phase 2 not decided

Essex Street

Teterboro - UC

Main / Bergen line