What do you do with your valuables?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Theft is generally not a problem in sleepers. Although some feel safer taking valuable items with them, I think it's generally okay to leave things behind when heading for the diner or PPC, provided they're not sitting out in plain view as "advertising."
Precisely. Out of sight, out of mind! I normally leave the curtain closed on my door at all times, so that no one can see what I might have in the room or, more fundamentally, when I'm out of the room for meals, etc. The potential thief then risks you answering the door when they knock/open to see if the room is occupied. So far, the only one that has gone in is the SCA to drop off/pick up bed linens. No problem there, a nice bit of green works wonders... :D

The good thing about the AT is that everyone is locked on board the train at all times. So, if there is ever a major theft, the thief will still be on board before the train arrives at a place where the thief can escape (unless they get off in the Florence, SC yard). The crew, if ready/willing/able, might have a little time to search.
Thanks for replying. I don't think I own anything that could be considered 'major theft' if someone decided to make off with it
laugh.gif

I plan on keeping my door closed when I'm not there, but I also plan on spending a fair amount of time in the roomette. I think it's because I'm a single girl, that I've become so fixated on security. Thanks to all the replies; I really do feel much more comfortable!

Hey everyone!

Thanks to reading the forum, I know that the roomette doors don't lock from the outside, so it begs the question: what does one do with their valuables when you're off in the dining car or (in my case) the PPC? Do you just carry them with you wherever you go? Depending on what one carries, that can be quite a load. I'll have my purse with me, maybe a camera and that's about it for things I would consider theft-worthy. On the other hand, one never knows what others consider valuable--people might see my bag of trail mix and be unable to control themselves
laugh.gif

So the two questions I guess I'm asking are these: what do you lug around with you, and do I have to worry about theft in roomettes?

It's pathetic what my mind ruminates about...

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Lace
My experiance a few years ago on SSL #1 I woke up and went to breakfast and managed to leave my wallet in the roomette. I had nothing to tip the waitress that morning so after breakfast I ran back to the room (figure of speech...do not run on a train), and found my wallet sitting on the mattress where I had left it with curtain open and nothing missing. I lucked out. Would I do that again? No.
You were soooo lucky. Or maybe not. Even with all my talk about the potential dark side of train travel (or of travel in general), I believe it when I hear that Amtrak pax are generally good hearted, nice people. Maybe it was because you were surrounded by just plain good folk.

Click HERE to listen to my electrifying "Missing Bag Story"
That was a very interesting story. I laughed at the "WHERE'S THE MOTORCYCLE MAN?" part (I pictured Jack Nicholson/The Shining for some reason) Sounded like that female PAX might have been on something or a lot of somethings.
huh.gif

(OT: Also you sound like a professional narrator for a movie or a book.)

That was a very interesting story. I laughed at the "WHERE'S THE MOTORCYCLE MAN?" part (I pictured Jack Nicholson/The Shining for some reason) Sounded like that female PAX might have been on something or a lot of somethings.
huh.gif

We did in fact learn from the gentleman in the roomette across from her, who we learned rides motorcycles, that she had told him she had taken both Ambien and OxyContin. And it was exactly like Jack Nicholson and "Here's Johnny!" Scary, I was in the top bunk. Amazing tht she just kept coming back. Craziest thing was we ate breakfast across from her in the morning and she didn't even recognize us or at least didn't say anything. She seemed normal enough in the diner with no mention of the night before. Strangest thing ever on any of my train adventures.

huh.gif

We did in fact learn from the gentleman in the roomette across from her, who we learned rides motorcycles, that she had told him she had taken both Ambien and OxyContin. And it was exactly like Jack Nicholson and "Here's Johnny!" Scary, I was in the top bunk. Amazing tht she just kept coming back. Craziest thing was we ate breakfast across from her in the morning and she didn't even recognize us or at least didn't say anything. She seemed normal enough in the diner with no mention of the night before. Strangest thing ever on any of my train adventures.
Wow, that's just nuts. At least she didn't hurt anyone.

Wow, that's just nuts. At least she didn't hurt anyone.
No kidding. We tried to laugh about it. My mom, Dottie, was like a detective about the whole thing and was talking to everyone about it. This was NOT the average Mothers Day for my mom! I put together this on my iPad between SAS and CHI and showed everyone on the train who had heard of the "crazy lady". The crew LOVED it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmkyxv9WmNg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back