What happened to the Star?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I always rode the Southern

Service Attendant
I have been following train status of the star in preparation for our trip from TPA to HOL on Tues, and when I checked just awhile ago I find out it was cancelled out of WAS and will also be cancelled tomorrow though still showing for Mon &Tues. The only service alert I've seen (right below the cancelled star)is for delays for track work. Googling told me nothing? Anyone know anything about what is going on?

"Effective June 24 - 26, 2013On the dates listed above, track work being performed by CSX Transportation will affect trains operating between Savannah and New York, as described below:

Palmetto Train 90 Departs Approximately Three Hours LaterOn the dates listed above Train 90 will operate three hours later than the time shown in Amtrak printed timetables between Savannah and New York including all intermediate stops.

Possible Train DelaysTrains 89, 97, and 98 operating through the work area may experience delays of approximately 30 minutes."

I have been following train status of the star in preparation for our trip from TPA to HOL on Tues, and when I checked just awhile ago I find out it was cancelled out of WAS and will also be cancelled tomorrow though still showing for Mon &Tues. The only service alert I've seen (right below the cancelled star)is for delays for track work. Googling told me nothing? Anyone know anything about what is going on?

"Effective June 24 - 26, 2013On the dates listed above, track work being performed by CSX Transportation will affect trains operating between Savannah and New York, as described below:

Palmetto Train 90 Departs Approximately Three Hours LaterOn the dates listed above Train 90 will operate three hours later than the time shown in Amtrak printed timetables between Savannah and New York including all intermediate stops.

Possible Train DelaysTrains 89, 97, and 98 operating through the work area may experience delays of approximately 30 minutes."
I posted on FB on June 2, "Heads up, I do not see any alerts on Amtrak's alert page, however, the Silver Service does have 2 cancellations this month, they are Friday June 21 and Saturday June 22. Based on possible bookings it looks like it will run from NYP to JAX, and then buses will be provided to points south." The only way I found it was someone complained on FB that their trip had been cancelled. I went and attempted to book it (since I was concerned it might affect my trip) and it was only for those two days. I guess it may have added an additional day since you said it's cancelled tomorrow as well. I don't know why it terminates in WAS. Might be something new?

There is a weekend track construction curfew on the CFRC (SunRail) between Sanford & Poinciana until 0300 Monday.

Both southbound Silvers are terminating in JAX; their equipment lays over there and originates their respective northbound trains.

There is normally a bustitution south of JAX when these SunRail weekend construction curfews take place.

91(23), 97(23), 92(24), & 98(24) will be the first trains to operate as scheduled over the entire route.

Neither 53 or 52 will be affected as the construction zone begins at the south end of Sanford, which is south of the A-T facility.

Edit: clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both!

Linda I looked on FB, but not that far back.

Rampwidget, now I understand the reason, but not why there was no service alert issued. I remember I could recite the entire CL alert regarding bustitution from PGH to WAS Sunday-Thursday, from memory, I saw it so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back