What hotel accommodations are given in CHI?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
I'm taking the Builder/LSL August 2nd-5th and, although improving, the time keeping for the Empire Builder is still questionable. I am aware that this is a garuenteed connection - but what are we provided if the connection is missed? Which hotel do they usually put you in? Food vounchers? Taxi vouchers? Any other info? All info on what is provided for you in the case of a missed connection between EB/LSL would be greatly appreciated!

-Cole

Back in November I was overnighted in the Swissotel, it is a pretty nice hotel. Cab fare and a small amount for food. I don't know what other places they may use, I'm figuring they must have deals with others, also.

There was also a report earlier about a very late EB that dropped passengers in Milwaukee, put them up there and then provided a Hiawatha trip to Chicago for a next day connection. Although that would be a rare event, if their Chicago hotels were full they might try that again?? Probably cheaper in Milwaukee than Chicago :)

A few years back, I missed my connection from the Empire Builder to the Pere Marquette. Amtrak put me up at the Inn of Chicago, gave me vouchers for cab fare to and from the Hotel, and meal money. each worth $30. I was told to cash them in at ticket services.

So far as I can tell Amtrak's written guarantees are nothing more than a promise to refund your money if they fail to transport you to your destination. Any other outcome, such as putting you up in a hotel while you wait for another train, is entirely dependent upon Amtrak's sole decision to make that offer on a case by case basis. Going into this with any sort of expectation of a given outcome or standard of service is likely to be met with disappointment.

Thank you all for the info! Quick question - If Amtrak does put you up overnight, then are the chances good that you will be placed on a train the next day? And no overnight - refund? Thank you in advance! One more - does it make a difference Sleeper versus Coach?

Chicago is a very popular, busy City so it depends on the time of year and the scheduled activities going on in the windy City as to available Hotels!

There is no hard and fast policies @_Amtrak for missed connections except for the late Thruway bus to Michigan that has been added. Makes no difference as to Sleeper or Coach, its first come, first served @ Customer Service, but Sleeping Car passengers get first crack @ Sleepers on rebookings on alternate trains!

I've stayed in Hotels and Motels that ranged from the downtown 4 Star Hyatt to suburban Motels, but always received money for taxis ( if in Chicago, otherwise vans or a charter bus wee used for groups) and meal money!

The biggest concern involves the availability of Sleepers on the next days train ( or in the case of the Cardinal the day after train), rebooking are first come first served by Customer Service. You may end up on Coach if the LD Trains are Sold out, or be booked on alternate train, ie Cap Ltd. or Lake Shore/ Regional etc.

In the case of cancelled trains with no alternate transportation on non guaranteed connections, full refunds are offered, but you're in your own to get to your destination!

I've actually been rebooked on a plane a couple of times out of Chicago, but that seems to be rare now a days.

As the old saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes your chances" but Amtrak will get you there on guaranteed connections, eventually and somehow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last June we arrived into CUS at 3 AM. Chicago lodging was full up. They put all passengers on a bus and we headed to The Embassy Suites in Rosemont. Got there at 4:30AM, after a long line, checked in, got to sleep around 5:00 and was up at 9AM. At 10 they sent a bus to take us all back to CUS. As soon as we realized that we would arrive too late to make our LSL connnection I was on the phone (hours before arriving) and was able to rebook on the CL for the following day and returned to PHL via WAS. There , rooms are being accomodated only if you arrive extremely late and cannot get the last connection East. If you arrive before the LSL departs you are S.O.L. At least thats how it was explained to me.

The EB can be a great trip but after this experience, we will not consider any further Empire Builder trips until the perpetual lateness issue is straightened out. IMO, there is no chance of this happening anytime soon. Oil traffic is going to kill this route and I believe that is the freight railroads intention. .

I have not had the experience of a late enough train that I failed to make a connection in Chicago.

But, I have used Amtrak's Hotel Packages in the past. Whether they are able to use these properties for guests that miss their connections, I do not know. But, if this happens to you and you are given a choice of hotels, may I suggest the Palmer House Hotel. It is near Union Station and is a truly classic hotel. Even if one might have to pay an up-grade charge to stay there, I think it would be worth it.

One more unique travel experience would be added to your list by staying there, I think.

Dakota400: The Palmer House is a Classic, but Amtrak is not going to book anyone into this Hotel!

They have deals with certain Hotels/Motels to provide lodging on a Space available basis @ a negotiated rate that is nowhere near what the Palmer House charges for their rooms.

The nicest Hotel I have been put in during involuntary Chicago layovers is a Hyatt, with the SwissHotel also being pretty nice! Most of the time, due to the Chicago being a very popular and busy City, you will be put up @ a Commercial Grade Suburban Motel or Hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back