What (if anything) am I missing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
With my upcoming trip, I've started to think about what to bring and am wondering if there's anything I really should get to "enhance" the trip as a railfan. Sure, I'll have the basics like the timetable, scanner and camera, (as well as an Acela belt) but is there anything I'm missing? Is it worth getting something say a GPS that I'll only use a couple of times per year? If those of you that use could offer some insight as to its benefits. Also, is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks. B)

This doesn't get to your question but tell us again, in case you have already, but are you going both ways on the Meteor or one way on the Star or what?

Bill Haithcoat said:
This doesn't get to your question but tell us again, in case you have already, but are you going both ways on the Meteor or one way on the Star or what?
Down on 91 (Silver Star) up on 98 (Silver Meteor) to Orlando.

My only suggestion, as an on going project, is to get contacts out the ying yang like I do. :D

It's a belt that Conductors wear, that has the Acela emblem, if I'm not mistaken.

battalion51 said:
It's a belt that Conductors wear, that has the Acela emblem, if I'm not mistaken.
Correct, it's exactly that, managed to get one off of eBay about a year ago. Hopefully it'll still fit by the next trip. :lol:

Viewliner, I found my GPS to be very worth while even though I only use it one or two times a year. Given, it is a pricey investment, but I found getting one that can just be plugged into ones laptop will really cut down the cost.

Amfleet said:
Viewliner, I found my GPS to be very worth while even though I only use it one or two times a year. Given, it is a pricey investment, but I found getting one that can just be plugged into ones laptop will really cut down the cost.
Amfleet there's only one problem with that and that's I'd have to get a handheld one (probably the Garmin eTREX Legend) since I don't have a (working) laptop. I was thinking that, and maybe I'll be able to sway my parents as I have more than enough saved up.

Well you might want to buy USA By Rail, which gives you the highlights of your journey and what to look for. It can be had for $13.67 plus shipping from Amazon.com.

Just click here.

You might also want to consider buying some track maps, if you're into that stuff. There are several available.

Finally you'll want to be sure to bring a very large grin with you, so that everyone else will know how much fun you are having. :p :)

I used my GPS on Coast Starlate. Some GPS supposedly to download to your computer when your vacation is over. It's just like a digital camera.

Since you have two different route, why don't you check them out with GPS for any difference or whatever, who knows?

I like employee timetables for the differrent freight railroads. They are hard to get, but they often have track maps. Also, they list all of the passing sidings and small towns with the RR mileage. Thus you can use the mile markers by the sides of the track to accurately track the progress of the train.

Steve4031 said:
I like employee timetables for the differrent freight railroads. They are hard to get, but they often have track maps. Also, they list all of the passing sidings and small towns with the RR mileage. Thus you can use the mile markers by the sides of the track to accurately track the progress of the train.
You ain't kidding about hard to get. I had to practically beg three of my sources to get one. :lol: Got another for another Division for Christmas. :lol: I know the territory for track I've never even ridden on. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back