What is a flag stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And how do I know where to wait? I don't know for example if my car is at the front or the middle or the rear of the train?

Do I just get on at the closest door that opens and walk inside the train, or will somebody step down and show me the way?
I actually have related experience. It's not a flag stop -- which means the train would have stopped anyway, no matter what -- but a few years ago, I was boarding a sleeper on the California Zephyr at Fraser-Winter Park, and I was the only person on the manifest getting on or off.

The train stopped with the door for my sleeping car right in front of where I happened to be standing on the platform. Both the conductor and the sleeping car attendant were at the door to greet me. (And then the conductor stepped out briefly, presumably to make absolutely sure there was no one else trying to board.)
My wife and I experienced the same thing at Williams Junction (also not a flag stop)...the SWC stopped with our sleeper right there in front of us. We were the only ones boarding.

If you have a booked reservation to board at a flag stop, the conductor will show your party boarding on his/her manifest and radio the engineer on approach to stop the train with your car (coach or sleeper) in front of the station. You can telephone 1-800-usa-rail for an estimate of the arrival time for your train. If passengers are scheduled to board both coach and sleepers, the conductor will likely stay on the platform after the first stop and direct the engineer via radio to pull the train forward enough to load the remaining passengers in the other car class.

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Izaak Walton. One night we walked down to the Essex platform just to watch the WB EB pass by. We were the only ones around when the train appeared from around the bend at maximum speed. I had my scanner on and the engineer said "looks like we might have a couple here". Next thing I knew a big gush of air was heard and almost sounded like the brake was set at emergency with brakes squaking and the train coming to almost to a full stop. At about 15-20mph the Conductor stuck his head out the window of one of the Seattle coaches and yelled "are you getting on"? My reply was "NOPE"! The conductor replied to the engineer "they aren't getting on...High ball Essex #7".

So I guess the train crews still are on the look out for potential passengers at flag stops.

Train crews are always looking out for passengers, Conductor will usually let Engineer know whether they are "expecting anyone" per the manifest. The engineer will radio the conductor with what he observes on the platform. A decision is then made as to the necessity to stop or not...

Train crews are always looking out for passengers, Conductor will usually let Engineer know whether they are "expecting anyone" per the manifest. The engineer will radio the conductor with what he observes on the platform. A decision is then made as to the necessity to stop or not...
If you're listening on a scanner as I typically do, you'll hear this conversation/discussion going on.

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Izaak Walton. One night we walked down to the Essex platform just to watch the WB EB pass by. We were the only ones around when the train appeared from around the bend at maximum speed. I had my scanner on and the engineer said "looks like we might have a couple here". Next thing I knew a big gush of air was heard and almost sounded like the brake was set at emergency with brakes squaking and the train coming to almost to a full stop. At about 15-20mph the Conductor stuck his head out the window of one of the Seattle coaches and yelled "are you getting on"? My reply was "NOPE"! The conductor replied to the engineer "they aren't getting on...High ball Essex #7".

So I guess the train crews still are on the look out for potential passengers at flag stops.

What a great story!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back