What is one item that's an absolute necessity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on a overnight train trip???? We are heading on our first trip, ( with our daughters, 2 and 6) which some may remember. After reading trip reports and tips galore, I'm curious, if you could only take ONE item on a trip with you, what would it be? (other than clothes and such!!)

Also, any luggage tips would be handy too!!!! Thanks all! :D

A nice adult beverage...to sip on and enjoy while watching the scenery pass.

My vote is for a timetable---complete nationwide timetable, not somethng which just features your own train. Get familiar with the art of reading timetables, see about possible future trips in other parts of the country. Of course there are other things but you said ONE---and I think this is it. You could spend more time on a book, but you can read a book anywhere.

With a timetable you can plot your progress, and perhaps identify any other passenger trains you see en route, by seeing what train is supposed to be in such and such a city at this time, or should be passing your train at this time.

A book is good, as well as CD player with the headphones so as not to disturb the other passengers. Now there are books on CD. Isn't technology wonderful?

Enjoy the trip.

Robert :D

teekster said:
Not to seem to in the dark, why a scanner?
Allows you to hear/know exactly what is going on, both onboard and around the train. You know information before anyone else does, and sometimes, know the truth that other people dont such as the real reason why you are late :lol: .

Amfleet said:
One item...a scanner!!!
I'd have to agree with either the scanner or the timetable. The thing about the timetable is it only goes so far, the scanner keeps you up to date.

Scanner, eh? My wife thought, 'why do we need to scan documents?' LOL

So, something like a hand held scanner that would pick up police radio and the like? Is there a special train frequency?

canoe86 said:
So, something like a hand held scanner that would pick up police radio and the like? Is there a special train frequency?
Yes they meant a hand held scanner and there are indeed several frequencies that RR's use.

If you'd like more info on both using a scanner and the frequencies needed, you may wish to check out this information page from OTOL. :)

F59 PHI said:
Camera. Lets ya record the trip forever
Wow, I completely forgot to take that into account. Would be a tough decision. :unsure:

If I could only take one item, I guess I'd have to take one trip for each. :lol:

Personally, with only one choice, I would say that a camera is more important than a scanner. Now, a scanner would be a close second (even though I don't own one yet!), but recording the trip via a camera is more important, IMHO.

A girlfriend? Hmmmmmmmmm, I like the idea, but that's going to be a tough one to keep from my wife. Where would I hide a girlfriend on a train? :lol: :lol: :lol:

canoe86 said:
A girlfriend? Hmmmmmmmmm, I like the idea, but that's going to be a tough one to keep from my wife. Where would I hide a girlfriend on a train? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: . There is always the baggage car :lol:

"a girlfriend"

Thats half the fun of the train-- meeting NEW girls on it-- especially on the florida runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back