what is your favorite train book?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i say this topic is related to amtrak and thus worthy of being on the board. reading books about the yesteryear of rail travel(which is where most of my train reading is) helps me plan and enjoy my amtrak trips of today. it also allows comparison between travel then and amtrak now.anyway, my favorite train book is "the milwaukee road olympian, a ride to remember" by stan johnson. a great story, in words and picutres, of a 13 year old boy and his solo journey in 1941 from kansas city to chicago and then on the olympian from chicago to tacoma, wa.

i would be very interested to know what rail books other members, with their wide experience, would recommend as their favorites. thanks
I enjoy Lucis Bebes (sp) book "The Trains we Rode" Great overall photos of many name trains that I was too young to see. Also many others are as excellent but too numerous to mention.

Bill

the white cascade, the great northern railway disaster and america's dealiest avalanche by gary krist, holt and co, 2007. just reading it and this is now my favorite train disaster book. wonderfully written with a lot of railroading knowledge. the disaster occured, of course, in the cascade mts of washington along what is part of the present day eb route(though the site of the avalanche is bypassed by the new cascade tunnel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back