What kind of GPS to use

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so to revive this. any GPS will tell me where the train is and how fast its going. even i got a cheapy one. also will any handheld scanner pickup railroad chatter. there are some nascar ones that will pick up train channels.
Correct and assuming you are already taking your laptop along there are options for around $50 that will provide you with your position and speed.
This IS one of those questions that's unfortunately answered with 'depends'. On our last LD, I used a Mac with Fusion running Windows and National Geographic's TOPO program. It was great for monitoring our position on the Mac screen, and a big hit in the Lounge car. The receiver itself would show speed too. The property I personally use it most for is data acquisition for future use. I just keep the GPSr on all the time (night too) with the sampling frequency on 'high' (collecting positions at shorter time or distance intervals). When my chip would get close to full I would dump it onto the laptop while stopped at a station and start the collection process again. Later, at home, GoogleEarth lets you download the routes so you can see, modify AND share (email) the route with others. My receiver (Garmin CSx60) has a 'man overboard' feature that allows me to push a button when I see something interesting (tunnel, trestle, detector, switches, historical sight). It then gives me a waypoint number that I can annotate with the sight on a clipboard for later inclusion on the GE program with a pushpin (or other icon). The CSx60 is my 2nd GPSr and may be a bit of overkill ($300+) but I use it for geocaching too and couldn't be happier with it and the support I've received from Garmin. Like others have echoed, the only big improvement I could see would be a nice topo program for the Mac. A cheaper receiver would probably be fine, just make sure that you can DL the data to GE and the data acquisition frequency is adjustable.

I have a several-years-old Garmin 60C, which I've used on several train trips.

Also as a Mac user, the general lack of support has been frustrating but not a complete obstacle. There are plenty of programs, and recently some from Garmin, that let you transfer waypoints and tracks and routes between a Mac and GPS. The sticking point is the maps: the unit can only hold 50MB of maps at a time, so every time you change locales you need to reload the relevant maps. Garmin finally has a Mac program to upload the maps, but you first need to use a PC to convert to the Mac-compatible format.

One thing I've found very useful for this unit--it might not be an issue with the newer "high sensitivity" models--is to have an external antenna. Mine came with a suction cup base that I stick to the window of a train; it has a long cord so the unit can be passed to an aisle-sitting seatmate without losing GPS reception. Otherwise I have to hold the unit right up to the window to get reception. I haven't had any problems using the antenna on the train--nobody told me I couldn't suction-cup it to the window.

Another thing I found somewhere on the internet, years ago, is a list of Amtrak stations with latitude and longitude. With a text editor or simple script I could convert this into a list of waypoints, and then string all the station waypoints of an Amtrak route together. One of the cool things that I think any GPS unit can do is to compute not only your speed, but the rate at which you're closing in on a waypoint (which might be slower if you're not headed directly for it) and then give an estimated time of arrival. It's also nice when you wake up on a overnight train and can't see the mile markers and wonder where the train is.

I just purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips. I didn't get it specifically for my upcoming trip to FL but plan to use it then. I have seen a lot of good reviews and am looking forward to trying it out!

Does it follow the railroad tracks or keep trying to put you on a nearby road?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Year 2009 Microsoft Streets & Trips software recently. It shows railroad tracks if you drill down to enough detail.

My version does not have the GPS capability. I guess there is a separate edition for GPS.

I just purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips. I didn't get it specifically for my upcoming trip to FL but plan to use it then. I have seen a lot of good reviews and am looking forward to trying it out!
Does it follow the railroad tracks or keep trying to put you on a nearby road?
It follows the tracks, doesn't jump to roads even if the road is nearby.

Aloha

Some of the Map Programs with GPS have a snap to function. This function may force the train to follow a road. I choosing this on my Deloreme snaps to either the track or road depending which is closer to the receiver location.

Hey guys, I just got a Verizon Motorola Droid...which runs Google Andorid 2.0. It has gps with built in google maps/nav. Its wild...you don't even need a car gps as they make a mount for the window and it acts just like a car style GPS.

But anyway, I'm gonna try it on the train in the next week to see how well it gets a signal. I think more important....we should see WHICH GPS units have the STRONGEST recivers. Not all are the same and some work better than others on the train.

BTW: I've got a speedo app so you know just how fast you're going. It will be fun for the 90-110mph stretches on the Empire Line.

so whatever GPS i get has to work with the software for the laptop to allow it to follow the train correct? no gps will do this out of the box?

Yeah me too Mike, I got the G1 which also uses the Droid with Google, and I get gps just fine from that and like you I have gotten apps for speed, so I am all set for train trips lol.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back