What kind of weather on EB in Mid-November?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwalton

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Found a great deal on AmSnag for the Empire Builder in bedroom E for mid-November. Hubby wasn't home to look at it, so, using the "book-it-first-and-ask-questions-later" philosophy, I snagged it. Now he's wondering what kind of weather we'd likely have on route and in Seattle that time of year. Are we likely to have snow? Enough to cause problems? How about in Seattle?

Thanks in advance.

Found a great deal on AmSnag for the Empire Builder in bedroom E for mid-November. Hubby wasn't home to look at it, so, using the "book-it-first-and-ask-questions-later" philosophy, I snagged it. Now he's wondering what kind of weather we'd likely have on route and in Seattle that time of year. Are we likely to have snow? Enough to cause problems? How about in Seattle?

Thanks in advance.
Weather in Seattle in mid-November is going to be grey and rainy at the very least. Mid 30s to low 40s and raining is typical. Snow if you are unlucky. We don't handle lowland snow well here (an inch pretty much shuts the city down). It is likely to be snowing in the Cascades and have snow in the Rockies.

November can be really variable here. We can also get lowland flooding from "Pineapple Express" storms.

If you are asking if the train will get through, it probably will. If you are asking if the weather will be nice, by most people's standards, it probably won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The train won't be crowded. But it gets dark really early up on the Hi Line in November, and it's really not the prettiest month. I grew up in Minot, No. Dak. I remember seeing the movie "Three Days of the Condor" when I was a kid, where it starts out with Robert Redford's character saying that it was "November, a month between fall and winter." At the time I thought to myself, "What the..., November is winter!" YMMV, of course.

On the other hand, I'll be on the Empire Builder over the Veterans Day holiday.

Many thanks for your replies. Looks like I'll be cancelling that reservation (darn! $495 for a bedroom seemed like such a good deal!). Maybe the California Zephyr would be a better choice for that time of year.

Many thanks for your replies. Looks like I'll be cancelling that reservation (darn! $495 for a bedroom seemed like such a good deal!). Maybe the California Zephyr would be a better choice for that time of year.
That is a good deal for the Bedroom from CHI-SEA! The Bay Area in Novemember can be grey/damp just like SEA, and lots of fog! (of course it wont be as cold as SEA!) Youll probably see more Snow on the EB thru the Rockies and Cascades than on the High Line except in the Cascades!

If youre looking for better weather in Novemeber, Id suggest the Southwest Chief to LAX,then a Surfliner down to San Diego perhaps! In the other Direction Florida would be the place to be of course but it gets crowded and expensive around Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back