What time of year to travel cross country

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecetera

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hello All — I am in the early stages of planning/anticipating our first cross country (LAX to CHI, CHI to either Seattle or Emeryville) train trip. Currently have an LAX to SAS booked, will be doing the CS (northbound) in Sept ’24 connecting the next day to the Cascades into Vancouver to board a cruise back to LA. But we also want to do a cross country trip to Chicago to see my husband’s family. Ideally we will be looking for a great deal on roomettes, or B, FB for this trip. We are pretty flexible with time of year, and have the ability to travel on short notice. Thinking SWC to Chicago, and either the CZ or EB for the return, with the CS to complete. Am aware that great pricing across all segments could be tricky, aka impossible, but will look to do the best we can.

SO — would love input on historically (hard, post covid, but will take what advice I can get) low cost times of year, as well as opinions on how the weather impacts the experience. We live in So Cal, so don’t get too much winter experience which makes that appealing to us. But I imagine there are pitfalls, and or amazing elements to full winter that we may not know. Maybe fall, or spring is a better window? Definitely not summer or holiday timeframes. I just know I will need to be doing regular fare checks and hoping to focus on a certain time of year.

Winter has less daylight which is an issue for sightseeing. Perhaps mid spring or fall when there is still reasonable daylight but you are still outside of the heavy travel season.
Conversely, in winter one can see more through leafless trees in the limited daylight. On that note, the CZ is spectacular in winter.

For years, I traveled cross country in early December (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). I found that the trains were less crowded and the fares were lower. My last such trip was December 2019. I no longer believe that the fares are lower in early December, but on some routes, they may be. Although the days are shorter, seeing snow outside my window was always a real treat (especially on the Canadian in 2011).

Conversely, in winter one can see more through leafless trees in the limited daylight. On that note, the CZ is spectacular in winter.
Any comparative experience between the CZ and the EB (pretty sure I have it straight in my head that the EB goes to Seattle)? Ultimately it may come down to cost, but if the cost is comparable, then the vistas will be a deciding factor. Our oldest lives in Marin, so Emeryville is very convenient to include a visit with them during the trip. And reduces our trip expense of travel between Seattle and the Bay Area

For years, I traveled cross country in early December (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). I found that the trains were less crowded and the fares were lower. My last such trip was December 2019. I no longer believe that the fares are lower in early December, but on some routes, they may be. Although the days are shorter, seeing snow outside my window was always a real treat (especially on the Canadian in 2011).
We often plan trips in that window, although mostly that has been on cruises. Definitely found it to be a high value time frame. I will pay attention to this year’s pricing, as I expect this trip to be late 2024 or early 2025 unless something amazing comes along price wise. Since this form of travel is pretty new to my husband, I want to make sure he loves it before I book too much, and our trip to SAS Isn’t until mid-February. It’s also going to help me figure out if the Roomette is big enough for us, or if I need to book the B, or FB. I personally love the Roomette, but I was solo each time.

Alternatively, I might look at one “segment” like the SWC, to do multiple coach trips with overnight hotel stays in a few places (maybe get the rail pass for that? ). We did that in Europe and loved it. I think we would enjoy the snow views — we only get snow once or twice every 5 years or so and end up really enjoying it anywhere we find it on our travels.

After Labor Day, fares usually drop, especially for midweek travel.
Not on the Capitol Limited this November. I have one of those dreaded $650 roomettes between Chicago and Washington. On a 3 car train. On the other hand, it's a Saturday night, so maybe that has something to do with it. Glad I used points to book the segment between Seattle and Chicago. God only knows what they're charging for that in ca$h.

We’ve traveled from San Diego to Ohio on Amtrak at different times of the year using the Pacific Surfliner, the Southwest Chief, and the Capitol Limited. Looking back, the trips that we made during the heavy travel season were the most stressful. Next year, we’re planning to go back in mid-May and again in mid-September. The weather in Ohio for those two months should still be fairly decent, and we won’t have to deal with the large crowds in the stations and the Metropolitan Lounges.

Any time is train time if one is prepared for the weather. It's hard to predict fares at present due to capacity being suppressed.

My favorite time for intercity travel is in September after Labor Day, and into early October. It's a good time for color photography. Even eastern Montana on the Empire Builder looks good then, as does Saskatchewan on the Canadian.

1971 124.jpg

September 1971 Kodak Instamatic photo: on my way home from 27 months overseas, the Empire Builder was a great way to adjust to America.

Hello All — I am in the early stages of planning/anticipating our first cross country (LAX to CHI, CHI to either Seattle or Emeryville) train trip. Currently have an LAX to SAS booked, will be doing the CS (northbound) in Sept ’24 connecting the next day to the Cascades into Vancouver to board a cruise back to LA. But we also want to do a cross country trip to Chicago to see my husband’s family. Ideally we will be looking for a great deal on roomettes, or B, FB for this trip. We are pretty flexible with time of year, and have the ability to travel on short notice. Thinking SWC to Chicago, and either the CZ or EB for the return, with the CS to complete. Am aware that great pricing across all segments could be tricky, aka impossible, but will look to do the best we can.

SO — would love input on historically (hard, post covid, but will take what advice I can get) low cost times of year, as well as opinions on how the weather impacts the experience. We live in So Cal, so don’t get too much winter experience which makes that appealing to us. But I imagine there are pitfalls, and or amazing elements to full winter that we may not know. Maybe fall, or spring is a better window? Definitely not summer or holiday timeframes. I just know I will need to be doing regular fare checks and hoping to focus on a certain time of year.
I have round tripped twice from NY to Seattle in April. It was early spring when I left, was very warm in Chicago, no leaves out yet so clear views but green buds. Full blown winter through the rockies and cascades then full blown spring in Washington!! The train was not full but definitely a lot of new people to meet. When I go again, it will be in April! Also note... both years I went Easter was in March so there was not a holiday in effect.! Have fun!

Could take the Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. Longest route in the Amtrak map. Traditional dining until San Antonio, then flex dining from there to Chitown. I'm on that route with my family in Oct this year buy only from CHI to Austin.

Hubby and I normally do two big trips a year, most of which include the train although occasionally they are entirely road trips. I plan one trip for May and one for September of each year. I find that generally wherever you go in the US the weather is pretty good during those times and neither is the height of summer tourist season. Our May trip this year was our biggest yet: Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago, Lakeshore Ltd from Chicago to Boston, Downeaster from Boston to Portland Maine. We rented a car there and drove up to Bar Harbor. Then the entire trip in reverse. We spent a couple of days in each city. My very first time on the east coast, what a great trip. Next month, our September trip is the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Emeryville, then the next day boarding the CA Zephyr and riding to Grand Junction, CO. I have a rental car booked there, and we will spend the next four days visiting three national parks: Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches, and Canyonlands. I've been looking at 2024 trying to get those trips planned, but gotta say that the fares for sleepers are pretty staggering for next year, so not sure what I am going to do yet.

Could take the Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. Longest route in the Amtrak map. Traditional dining until San Antonio, then flex dining from there to Chitown. I'm on that route with my family in Oct this year buy only from CHI to Austin.
We are booked on the TE in February (although only to SAS). Looking to take a different line for this trip, which is essentially for the journey, not the destination. It’s just convenient that my hubby is from Chicago and we have loads of family and friends to stay with and visit when we go there. The whole, get off the TE in the wee hours of the morning while they switch cars is also not super appealing to me. Both times I took the CS it was from Burbank to Redding, and I had to get off the train at 3 am(ish). I dream of being able to sleep the whole night in my Roomette, lol.

For me, the Zephyr has the best, most varied scenery of all the Amtrak routes, and I would encourage you to include that, no matter which time of year you travel.
I am definitely leaning that way — been watching YouTube videos and reading blogs about the different routes, and it seems amazing. And we love the end point in Emeryville, as I mentioned earlier. I kind of feel that this is going to end up being 2-3 trips to Chicago so we can see all the seasons except summer (absolutely NOT going during summer)

I’ve never been too concerned about what I may see from a train window, I’ve seen too many photographs already. I always enjoy what does appear Along the way.
If we could go whenever we wanted, I would be less intent on trying to pick a specific view. I love seeing the sights out the window, as does my husband (which is why I don’t want to drive 😳 )

Hubby and I normally do two big trips a year, most of which include the train although occasionally they are entirely road trips. I plan one trip for May and one for September of each year. I find that generally wherever you go in the US the weather is pretty good during those times and neither is the height of summer tourist season. Our May trip this year was our biggest yet: Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago, Lakeshore Ltd from Chicago to Boston, Downeaster from Boston to Portland Maine. We rented a car there and drove up to Bar Harbor. Then the entire trip in reverse. We spent a couple of days in each city. My very first time on the east coast, what a great trip. Next month, our September trip is the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Emeryville, then the next day boarding the CA Zephyr and riding to Grand Junction, CO. I have a rental car booked there, and we will spend the next four days visiting three national parks: Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches, and Canyonlands. I've been looking at 2024 trying to get those trips planned, but gotta say that the fares for sleepers are pretty staggering for next year, so not sure what I am going to do yet.
Sounds incredible!! It has popped into my head to consider going further East from CHI, but it will depend on fares and budget. We also have several pets that our kids came home with, but didn’t take when they moved out so care for them also becomes an issue with how long we can be gone. We were really looking at road trips, but when you start factoring in gas, nightly hotels, meals, wear and tear, the cost of the Roomette is less startling. The hubby did have a bit of sticker shock when I told him how much our roomette was for the upcoming TE trip, vs flying, but you really can’t compare the experience. Do you do a travel blog or travelogues here?? I would love to check them out if you do :)

Wanted to thank everyone for such wonderful responses, and sharing your insight and experiences — really enjoying hearing about trips others have done and the various viewpoints. I need to read further back in the travelogue section of the forum :)

Any time is train time if one is prepared for the weather. It's hard to predict fares at present due to capacity being suppressed.

My favorite time for intercity travel is in September after Labor Day, and into early October. It's a good time for color photography. Even eastern Montana on the Empire Builder looks good then, as does Saskatchewan on the Canadian.

View attachment 33539

September 1971 Kodak Instamatic photo: on my way home from 27 months overseas, the Empire Builder was a great way to adjust to America.
😎Reminds me of the Canadian Crossing the Praries in the Great White North as you said!

😎Reminds me of the Canadian Crossing the Praries in the Great White North as you said!
My first trip across there was in 1967 on the Montreal section of the Super Continental on the fast schedule which went overnight on the segment from Winnipeg to Melville. From there to Edson, cities excepted, it was golden harvest time.

We are booked on the TE in February (although only to SAS). Looking to take a different line for this trip, which is essentially for the journey, not the destination. It’s just convenient that my hubby is from Chicago and we have loads of family and friends to stay with and visit when we go there. The whole, get off the TE in the wee hours of the morning while they switch cars is also not super appealing to me. Both times I took the CS it was from Burbank to Redding, and I had to get off the train at 3 am(ish). I dream of being able to sleep the whole night in my Roomette, lol.
I've never hear that you need to get off while they switch cars in SAS, so long as you are booked on the Eagle all the way.

I have read in more than one place that you do, although it may have been just the westbound direction trains. That’s the problem with intense research- sometimes it’s too much to absorb completely. I may have misunderstood, but I distinctly remember it was the TE, and had to do with the cars being changed with the TE and SL that caused the writers to have to exit the car during the switch in SAS, and then reboard

Last edited:
There are two "options" when you travel in sleeper car on the Texas Eagle. (And often two different prices...)

One car is a through car, train 421, so you can (or at least could...) remain in your sleeper while it is transferred to or from the Sunset limited.

However, you can book to travel in a Texas Eagle sleeper from Chicago to SAS which terminates there, and you would then have to wait and board a completely different sleeper on the Sunset, which has come from New Orleans.

There is a similar "option" and price difference that occurs on the Empire builder to Portland, where the through sleeper is switched at Spokane.

If booking on the Amtrak internet site, it tells you how many "Segments" your trip involves, which means that for "2 or more segments", you will have to alight and reboard, or otherwise change seats or trains or to or from a throughway bus, etc.

Last edited:
I have read in more than one place that you do, although it may have been just the westbound direction trains. That’s the problem with intense research- sometimes it’s too much to absorb completely. I may have misunderstood, but I distinctly remember it was the TE, and had to do with the cars being changed with the TE and SU that caused the writers to have to exit the car during the switch in SAS, and then reboard

Back