What to bring?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cliodhna

hey all,

myself and two friends are heading off on a cross country train trip next week. we're gonna be gone for two weeks. we're taking the train from nyc over to portland then to san fran to la and then to la and back to nyc. we'll be on the train for a few days at a time and i was wondering if people could reomend anything we should make sure to bring with us ;)

luv and bubbles,

cliodhna

I did a 5,000 mile trip last year for the first time and took a few things I'll definitely be taking again. A camera and lots of film. You're going to see quite a few nice things to take pictures of along the way. Make sure it's a camera you can set the shutter speed fairly high so it doesn't blur.

A few snacks in case you wake up in the middle of the night and you need a little something to hold you over until breakfast. Some of those wet napkins or a pack of baby wipes. They're handy if you can't get to a sink. A little hand held AM/FM radio with headset. It's interesting to hear some of the radio stations across the country. And a note pad and pen to write down some of the memorable parts of your trip so you can write a trip report to look back upon later.

I didn't take a cell phone last time, but I will be taking one this time if I can find a good deal on one. Good to have in case you're running late and need to meet someone along the way so you can keep them posted, or to call ahead to confirm hotel reservations, etc.

I also took some $2 and $5 bills to tip with. If you get a good attendant or frequent the dining car and get good service, you might want to pass out a few rewards.

Aloha

I didn't take a cell phone last time, but I will be taking one this time if I can find a good deal on one. Good to have in case you're running late and need to meet someone along the way so you can keep them posted, or to call ahead to confirm hotel reservations, etc.
I tried to report to friends at the Seatac Holiday Inn about my train being late a few years ago and the operator refused to accept the message because "there were no trains in Seattle". I asked for the manager to get through.

Cliodhna,

Sounds like a fun trip. :)

I recomend take a look at this wonderful collection of hints & tips from On Track On Line. It will give you some idea of what to expect while on board, things that you might want to bring with you, along with some general train riding tips.

Have a great trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back