What To Do In BeanTown (This Saturday 9/12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrdude

Engineer
I'll be in the Boston area this weekend, for an "Intervention" of a long-time friend... Anyway, it should be over by 10:00am on Saturday, and my Acela doesn't leave til after 1:00pm on Sunday.

Soooo, any rail-fan related advice for killing a couple of hours later Saturday afternoon? I'm not opposed to riding MBTA or the T, if there is something (scenery, destination) involved. But "riding-just-to-ride" does not really make my heart skip-a-beat. (I know, Blasphemer!)

I'm staying in Nashua, and am taking the MBTA on Sunday, from Lowell, down to Boston North.

Thanks for any tips.

What sorts of things are you into? History, shopping, food, nature, and probably several other possibilities, and you could spend a week doing each category in the Boston area.

What about taking the Downeaster to/from Portland! It's a great ride with nice scenery, good Cafe car,friendly crews, and if necessary schedule wise, there are buses between South Station and Portland's Intermodel Station also!

Back