What to see near New York Penn station 4.5 hour layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need more time in New York! Guess I will have to plan another Amtrak trip. lol I think I will take a cab to the ferry. I'm a bit nervous about the subway. Thank you for all the suggestions. I never heard of the Intreped. Will check that out and other suggestions on the web. Thank you for all the tips and advice. It is priceless!

Sue

I need more time in New York! Guess I will have to plan another Amtrak trip. lol I think I will take a cab to the ferry. I'm a bit nervous about the subway. Thank you for all the suggestions. I never heard of the Intreped. Will check that out and other suggestions on the web. Thank you for all the tips and advice. It is priceless!

Sue

Here's a picture I took just last summer from the Staten Island Ferry. This will give you an idea of how close the ferry gets you:

IMG_2614.jpg

I would also add that you can get a great meal just about anywhere. please, for the love of everything that is good in the world, don't eat at penn station.
Actually, one of the better pizza places, Rose's, is in Penn Station. I work nearby and I have gone into the station more than once just to get a slice there. Here is a review.

The subway #1 train directly inside Penn Station down to the ferry (right outside the ferry) takes almost exactly the same amount of time as a cab, 16 minutes plus 5 at the max for waiting and is much less susceptible to traffic issues.
I agree with the other posters. Don't waste your time and money on a taxi to South Ferry. Take the #1 subway. That ride in and of itself will be worth it.

However, ferry, Empire State Building and Macy's can't all be done in a 4-1/2 hour layover without being frenetic.

Sue

Here's a picture I took just last summer from the Staten Island Ferry. This will give you an idea of how close the ferry gets you:
Unless you mention how much zoom you used, it gives no idea how close the ferry gets you. For example, this photo was also taken from Staten Island ferry-

19149_256917621018_517386018_4299232_361669_n.jpg

Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I'm thrilled to have a layover. I didn't know if that was enough time to get around and see things. I would love to go up in the Empire State Building and Times Square. My daughter would love FAO Schwarts. There is a FREE Staten Island Ferry? No way! How cool. How far of a cab ride would that be about? I think we come in around 11am. How long would it take to get to the ferry and take the free ride? I guess I won't be in the Acela lounge long! LOL

Sue
Take the #1 subway downtown to the last stop South Ferry. It is a 20 minute ride from Penn Station to South Ferry. Once there walk down the platform (towards the front of the train) take the last staircase and it will leave you outside the Ferry terminal. Ride the ferry over to Staten Island and catch a view of the Statue of Liberty, the New York skyline, and other interesting sights.

Sue
If you need any help with the subway just shoot me a message, I've been working in the subways for 14 yrs.

I would head over to the Intrepid Museum. It about a $8 cab ride ($10 with tip), and the time you have, is just about right for seeing it.
Odds are that a 12 year old daughter would not find the Intrepid particularly interesting.

Again, in a 4.5 hour layover, she needs just a taste of NYC. Visiting museums whether it be the Intrepid or the MOMA or the many others would likely not be the thing to do to get a sense of NYC in that time frame. You get it by riding the subway at least once, seeing a few places and walking nearby. For a 12 y.o. girl, I still maintain Times Square and 5th Ave stores would be best. Rockefeller Center could also be done.

I would head over to the Intrepid Museum. It about a $8 cab ride ($10 with tip), and the time you have, is just about right for seeing it.
Odds are that a 12 year old daughter would not find the Intrepid particularly interesting.

Again, in a 4.5 hour layover, she needs just a taste of NYC. Visiting museums whether it be the Intrepid or the MOMA or the many others would likely not be the thing to do to get a sense of NYC in that time frame. You get it by riding the subway at least once, seeing a few places and walking nearby. For a 12 y.o. girl, I still maintain Times Square and 5th Ave stores would be best. Rockefeller Center could also be done.
I have to say, I find part of that comment a bit stereotypical. being a 12 year old girl does not equate with being only interested in shopping. there are many, many sights in nyc that would appeal to a girl of any age, including a 12 year old, and i firmly believe the intrepid is one of them. leave that to the parent to decide.

Right there in the midtown area you could go up in the Empire State Building,
I would not recommend the Empire State Building on a 4 hour layover, unless one has pre-purchased their "skip the line", or what ever the heck they call it, tickets. One can easily spend two to three hours on a busy day getting tickets, going through security, etc. and would not have enough time. Normally I'd recommend the Top of the Rock, where one can buy tickets for the exact time you want to go up and there are next to no lines because of this. However, I'm leery of recommending that because you must pre-purchase your tickets and you simply don't know that you're going to be on time, much less that it wouldn't be cloudy & raining.

I think you'd be better served Sue with any of the other suggestions and at least for this trip, forget the tall buildings idea.

My uncle and I will be in New York City this July (the 4th, in fact) during a layover between the Silver Meteor and Lake Shore Limited and have the same layover as love2travel. Thanks to love2travel for asking the question (saves me having to :lol: ) and thanks for the great answers provided. This will help us decide what to do in that time. I guess we can always hope the SM is very late, so we won't have to make that decision!

My uncle and I will be in New York City this July (the 4th, in fact) during a layover between the Silver Meteor and Lake Shore Limited and have the same layover as love2travel. Thanks to love2travel for asking the question (saves me having to :lol: ) and thanks for the great answers provided. This will help us decide what to do in that time. I guess we can always hope the SM is very late, so we won't have to make that decision!
Unfortunately, the city will be packed on the 4th. Your options might be significantly more limited than L2T's!

Unfortunately, the city will be packed on the 4th. Your options might be significantly more limited than L2T's!

I was kind of afraid of that, but having never been anywhere near New York before, wasn't sure. No matter, though. I'd guess if we did anything it wouldn't involve any of the typical "touristy" things so as to avoid long lines and big crowds. We may just end up walking around the area of the station.

I have to also recommend to take the subway - it's fast, cheap, and a fundamental part of NY.

Before you do so, check the subway map! Nothing is worse than getting hopelessly lost with such a short layover.

If you have around 4 hours, the ferry and FAO Schwarz should be a perfect combination:

1/2 hour to get onto the subway train itself (see below)

1/2 hour to take the train to South Ferry and wait for the boat itself

1 hour round trip on the boat

1/2 hour to take the subway uptown to FAO Schwarz (your daughter should like it)(see below for directions)

1 hour 15 minutes in the US's oldest toy store

15 mins to take the subway back to Penn Station

works out well.

dir2.png

Map: contrary to what Google may have you believe, that little building that the tour bus is next to is the Bowling Green subway entrance.

sftobg.png

Let me know if this is confusing.

Just waslking around New York is an experiance in itself. The feeling is like no other city and it is very difficult to explain.

I have never been on the subway but is on my to do list. It looks overwelming compared to other cities I have visited (Washington, Boston). There are train numbers, and letters and colors OH MY! I am always afraid I will get on a subway and end up somewhere in the worse neighborhood. The place I am thinking is the sterotypical bad new york neighborhood with the burned out cars, fire in a barrel, bums, and alot of undesirables around.

A cab ride is an experiance in New York. You just hang on as there are fast accelarations, and fast stops weaving in and out of lanes. You need a cabbie that is always beeping the horn!

Just waslking around New York is an experiance in itself. The feeling is like no other city and it is very difficult to explain.

I have never been on the subway but is on my to do list. It looks overwelming compared to other cities I have visited (Washington, Boston). There are train numbers, and letters and colors OH MY! I am always afraid I will get on a subway and end up somewhere in the worse neighborhood. The place I am thinking is the sterotypical bad new york neighborhood with the burned out cars, fire in a barrel, bums, and alot of undesirables around.

A cab ride is an experiance in New York. You just hang on as there are fast accelarations, and fast stops weaving in and out of lanes. You need a cabbie that is always beeping the horn!
Lanes? Ha, they don't recognize the existance of lanes. They can fit at least 4 or 5 wide on a three lane street ;)

The place I am thinking is the sterotypical bad new york neighborhood with the burned out cars, fire in a barrel, bums, and alot of undesirables around.
I don't think such a place even exists in NY anymore - although the movies like to perpetuate the stereotype.
sad.gif

That neighborhood you are talking about is my old stomping grounds. We called it stomping grounds because that is what we used to do to people who made the mistake of taking the wrong train. That's why everyone who lives in NYC knows the subways - those that didn't were stomped. Only the fit survive.

Oh, that neighborhood is always one stop past where you wanted to get off anywhere in the city so if you make a mistake, please be sure you leave your fortune to Amtrak. It needs the money.

We're waiting for you!!!! And no wimpy 4-line train systems. We have letters and numbers by the dozen. Better remember them!

:giggle:

Now I guess nobody from out of town will take the subway any more. At least not unless Charles Bronson is on the train with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back