What will Amtrak do with $800M?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you consider that we are now talking many multiplies of a thousand billion dollars, its like a token after thought. So much for our Amtrak supporting administration and congress men. Didn't the presidents favorite illegal vote getting group just get two billion? Shows where the priorities really are.

When you consider that we are now talking many multiplies of a thousand billion dollars, its like a token after thought. So much for our Amtrak supporting administration and congress men. Didn't the presidents favorite illegal vote getting group just get two billion? Shows where the priorities really are.
Larry, don't forget some of the other pork barrel spending that's being slipped into the stimulus package, like a polar bear exibit in RI and a water park in FL. If public hearings aren't held to expose and minimize the pork barrel before the stimilus package goes to vote, Amtrak may wind up getting some of the pork barrel fat to grease their wheels in comparison to what they're long overdue for. Let's not forget to write our representatives to support Amtrak as suggested in the following post: CLICK HERE

Their short term priorities are to create jobs with shovel-ready projects. That means anything that's important to the Obama administration that wasn't important to last year's President and Congress isn't on the table at this stage, because nobody has bothered to draw up the plans for such projects yet.

I'm a little disappointed by the auto-centric focus of the oil reduction policies discussed on whitehouse.gov, but I'm also wondering if the potential automaker bailout is a factor there.

I propose AMTRAK spend a few hundred dollars to immediately notify ALL stations in ARIZONA that service will be discontinued.

Once again, false information and a flawed (and rejected) amendment by REP FLAKE (R-AZ) to cut AMTRAK funding in HR1 was proposed.

The false info? FLAKE claimed last year AMTRAK was subsidized by an average of $210 per passenger. It is more like $45.

Seems the delegation from Arizona has no desire for AMTRAK service, so I propose that service be eliminated entirely.

discuss....................

Amtrak should make Sunset and Cardinal daily. Then add sleepers on LD trains so each LD train runs with 8-10 sleepers.

This would raise the revenue the highest. EB would hsave a profit with 10 sleepers per train.

Amtrak should make Sunset and Cardinal daily. Then add sleepers on LD trains so each LD train runs with 8-10 sleepers. This would raise the revenue the highest. EB would hsave a profit with 10 sleepers per train.
They'd have to add another diner, or be serving meal for 18 hours straight.

As far as boarding up every station in AZ. Amtrak wouldn't do that due to the fact the there's a decent amount of people that use the AZ station.

I think a item in the NEC NEEDS between WAS-NYP is constant tension catenary. There's a good strech in DE, and NJ where Acela could go 150 but is limited to 135 due to lack of tension. Between Ragan and Bacon that's good for 135 and Bacon and Prince 130, which is in mostly DE a part of MD. In NJ Ham and County is good for 135. All of that could be good for 150.

In my view the stimulus being considered for rail, whether it be local, regional, intercity, or high speed bullet trains is woefully small.

Our inadequate rail network proved itself in 2008 with record ridership. Yet we continue to focus on dangerous and inefficient highways while giving passenger rail the finger. I just don't get it.

it might be enough to get some of the cars out of mothballs and restore them. that would be a start. they got the power to move the cars they just need the $$$ to rebuild them. it might be cheaper then building new. maybe bring back some slumber coaches.

one man's amtrak is another man's polar bear exhibit. who's to say the job created by building a zoo exhibit is better for the economy than a job building a highway?

I propose AMTRAK spend a few hundred dollars to immediately notify ALL stations in ARIZONA that service will be discontinued.
Once again, false information and a flawed (and rejected) amendment by REP FLAKE (R-AZ) to cut AMTRAK funding in HR1 was proposed.

The false info? FLAKE claimed last year AMTRAK was subsidized by an average of $210 per passenger. It is more like $45.

Seems the delegation from Arizona has no desire for AMTRAK service, so I propose that service be eliminated entirely.

discuss....................
All I'm going to say is our honorable representative from Arizona is appropriately named.

Didn't the presidents favorite illegal vote getting group just get two billion? Shows where the priorities really are.
Got a link to back up that wild assertion?
Nothing wild about it, the news reported again last night that the Community Redevelopment act or what ever there calling it, which is a front for funneling money into democratic vote getting blocks, is up for 3 billion, not the 2 I mentioned so in reality its even worse. I can find a link if I look I am sure, but then so can you, I am not making it up, an as usual if someone doesn't want to see something they won't.

one man's amtrak is another man's polar bear exhibit. who's to say the job created by building a zoo exhibit is better for the economy than a job building a highway?
A polar bear exhibit can't get me to a job, or to a business meeting in another city, or bring food from a farm to where I live. It might bring tourists, but only if there's some way for those tourists to get to the polar bear exhibit.

While highways may not be the best way to invest in transportation, I think that if we made a decision to let our transportation infrastructure deteriorate to the point where it had less capacity than it did 10 or 20 years ago, that would probably not be good for the economy.

I guess I got on the NRPA mailing list, most likely by using my Guest Rewards points last year. I was interested in the map they propose for expanded, or should I say, Restored, rail service. That is something I have long proposed to which would increase the usage of the rail service immensely. I have a feeling that if we had decent dependable rail to many more locations it would not be the quoted as having 1% of the traveling public use. Duh!!, you have to go somewhere to have passengers.

Didn't the presidents favorite illegal vote getting group just get two billion? Shows where the priorities really are.
Nothing wild about it, the news reported again last night that the Community Redevelopment act or what ever there calling it, which is a front for funneling money into democratic vote getting blocks, is up for 3 billion, not the 2 I mentioned so in reality its even worse. I can find a link if I look I am sure, but then so can you, I am not making it up, an as usual if someone doesn't want to see something they won't.
Actually, the first several news.google.com hits for

Community Redevelopment Act

don't seem to have anything about this at all. When it's not clear that you even know the correct name of this thing, it's hard for us to reasonably expect that you reasonably have a solid understanding of the other details of it.

There's all kind of links if you choose to look for them.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01272009/news/...r_ac_152276.htm

I hope this one works, if not just google Money for Acorn in Stimulus Plan and you will find all the information to back my "wild" claim. You see most people don't know what a mess they vote for. That said, I voted FOR obama, mostly on health and rail issues, but I don't like the politics as usual in the guise of change that is going on. Fleeceing of America I think they have been calling it for some time now. Just because I voted for someone doesn't mean I like everything he does, or dislikes everything he does which is a far cry from what the others have done to the past president.

I guess I got on the NRPA mailing list, most likely by using my Guest Rewards points last year. I was interested in the map they propose for expanded, or should I say, Restored, rail service. That is something I have long proposed to which would increase the usage of the rail service immensely. I have a feeling that if we had decent dependable rail to many more locations it would not be the quoted as having 1% of the traveling public use. Duh!!, you have to go somewhere to have passengers.
If you're talking about NARP, the National Association of Railroad Passengers, I don't think their plan really goes far enough at all. The countries that have successful rail systems haven't been merely restoring the service levels that were available 60 years ago, which seems to be some approximation of NARP's goal; they've been building new high speed lines (which the Acela is not an example of) on their major routes.

Actually, the first several news.google.com hits for

Community Redevelopment Act

don't seem to have anything about this at all. When it's not clear that you even know the correct name of this thing, it's hard for us to reasonably expect that you reasonably have a solid understanding of the other details of it.
Incorrect, not sure who is unclear now! I really don't want to argue about the issue, I just want to point out that money is being tossed around to groups that support the presidents friends and keeps them in office while things that really need help and serve everyone are taking a back seat. Read the links and you will see what I am talking about, then make a useful comment. I am amazed at the people who always complain someone is wrong or uninformed when they themselves are in the wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back