What would all of this accomplish for Amtrak and HSR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be pretty good for Amtrak. I am wondering how far 8 billion could go for the HSR. I remember reading someplace that 1 billion could get a HSR line from Chicago to Detroit. This includes building a new line on the abandoned NYC right of way out of Chicago. I saw this info from a link provided by Jis

Hopefully, some of that would go to the Chicago to St. Louis line and the Chicago to Madison to Minneapolis route too.

It seems that Amtrak could refurbish/rebuild all of the cars that are currently out of service. And order the needed viewliner sleepers and diners for the East coast. Maybe they can find replacements for the Horizons too.

This seems to be pretty good for Amtrak. I am wondering how far 8 billion could go for the HSR. I remember reading someplace that 1 billion could get a HSR line from Chicago to Detroit. This includes building a new line on the abandoned NYC right of way out of Chicago. I saw this info from a link provided by Jis
Hopefully, some of that would go to the Chicago to St. Louis line and the Chicago to Madison to Minneapolis route too.

It seems that Amtrak could refurbish/rebuild all of the cars that are currently out of service. And order the needed viewliner sleepers and diners for the East coast. Maybe they can find replacements for the Horizons too.
Refurbishing and putting back into traffic all the currently broken cars should surely be the quickest fix and liable to provide extra capacity a lot quicker than building a high speed line.

maybe order those viewliner coaches. shop around and find a company to build them.
It would seem to me that the best way to spend the stimulus money, to remain honest to the intent of the bill, is to hire more workers for Beech Grove and other facilitites and immediately get the repairs going on damaged and salvagable equipment. The time lag for ordering new equipment is 3-5 years and the need is now. Yes, if the capital funds are there, the ordering of new equipment is absolutely necessary, but don't think it will be a quick fix.

It would seem to me that the best way to spend the stimulus money, to remain honest to the intent of the bill, is to hire more workers for .........
Unfortunetly, very little of the billions promised for rail will create jobs. Most of it is for "research", with a tiny portion set for infrastructure improvement.

A complete waste of my money. As many others have said, the money would be far better spent, for example, on a new order of viewliners. Lots of routes could use additional ones.

It would seem to me that the best way to spend the stimulus money, to remain honest to the intent of the bill, is to hire more workers for .........
Unfortunetly, very little of the billions promised for rail will create jobs. Most of it is for "research", with a tiny portion set for infrastructure improvement.

A complete waste of my money. As many others have said, the money would be far better spent, for example, on a new order of viewliners. Lots of routes could use additional ones.
Isn't that what I said? I am not talking about High Speed money - which I agree is a waste of money from a Stimulus bill and something that needs to be funded, but not at this time. Equipment is needed and the fastest way to get more equipment on the rails is by repairing and refurbishing existing damaged equipment. New equipment is going to be more difficult, because of the long lag time and the fact that are simply not that many companies out there waiting to build new rail equipment.

...crazy idea... but it dramatic messages might get dramatic results. What if Amtrak leased/rented other passenger equimpment from other railroads. Call me crazy but isn't the LIRR about to downsize a little, I know the Belmont Park service might be cut? Hell I could see some railroad musuems that need some money might even hand over a FEW cars. Think of it, Amtrak is so underfunded they have one consist with a , Amfleet II coach, LIRR coach, an old NYC sleeper and a viewliner!

I know this is just absolutly crazy but I'm think9ing of something that might make a statement.

.....not to mention the old heritage fleet was better then the new stuff and it seems a lot of Amtrak employees agree with me on that.

making new cars would create long term jobs cause you need steal you need people to make the steal you need people to weld and rivet the steal together. but in the mean time restore the mothballed cars and get those p-40s out of storage. restore the desert wind restore the turboliners or stick a pantograph on them and run them in the NE corridor.

...crazy idea... but it dramatic messages might get dramatic results. What if Amtrak leased/rented other passenger equimpment from other railroads. Call me crazy but isn't the LIRR about to downsize a little, I know the Belmont Park service might be cut? Hell I could see some railroad musuems that need some money might even hand over a FEW cars. Think of it, Amtrak is so underfunded they have one consist with a , Amfleet II coach, LIRR coach, an old NYC sleeper and a viewliner!
I know this is just absolutly crazy but I'm think9ing of something that might make a statement.

.....not to mention the old heritage fleet was better then the new stuff and it seems a lot of Amtrak employees agree with me on that.
I think it would do the opposite of what was intended. I think a lot of politicians would point to that and say, "Why should we buy Amtrak new equipment when they can just buy used equipment from other railroads?"

Also, I think you'd alienate a lot of people. Who would want to ride for hours and hours in a commuter coach? And not to mention it would be nearly impossible to maintain such a diverse fleet of equipment.

I think it would do the opposite of what was intended. I think a lot of politicians would point to that and say, "Why should we buy Amtrak new equipment when they can just buy used equipment from other railroads?"

Also, I think you'd alienate a lot of people. Who would want to ride for hours and hours in a commuter coach? And not to mention it would be nearly impossible to maintain such a diverse fleet of equipment.

And that is why it was just a thought lol!

I pulled this from

http://www.propublica.org/special/the-stim...ist-of-spending

and it was updated as of today 13th 4:15pm (eastern time I guess)

National Railroad passenger corporation capital grants $850,000,000

National Railroad passenger corporation capital grants for security $450,000,000

I'm assuming National Railroad is Amtrak. So that's not $1billion for Amtrak, its $850,000,000 to play with as they see fit - upgrading, expansion, cars etc.

The $450,000,000 is for security? Does that mean we'll be subjected to NTSB style hassling? Hire more Special Agents? Armor plate the Capitol Ltd?

Just trying to get it clear here.

how about restoring and using the old Michigan central station
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Central_Depot
I drove around it last year. Very sad. But I think it is beyond repair AND is in a bad area. It is an eyesore from many miles away and an embarassment to Detroit. IMHO, it should be torn down / imploded. Sorry if this offends anyone.
It's not beyond repair in the least. I want to buy that thing, and if I ever get the money I will. I think it would make a nice setting for my house. And a good place to throw parties, to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
While there weren't any interior shots that I saw at the above link, at least from the outside it appears to be in much better shape than the poor old station in Buffalo. That building without some TLC very soon is likely to fall down, and that would be a real tragedy. :(

I pulled this fromhttp://www.propublica.org/special/the-stim...ist-of-spending

National Railroad passenger corporation capital grants for security $450,000,000

I'm assuming National Railroad is Amtrak. So that's not $1billion for Amtrak, its $850,000,000 to play with as they see fit - upgrading, expansion, cars etc.

The $450,000,000 is for security? Does that mean we'll be subjected to NTSB style hassling? Hire more Special Agents? Armor plate the Capitol Ltd?

Well... that would create jobs in the security sector.

*Hears marching in the distance*

Run! Its the National Amtrak Army!

ArmTrak?

While there weren't any interior shots that I saw at the above link, at least from the outside it appears to be in much better shape than the poor old station in Buffalo. That building without some TLC very soon is likely to fall down, and that would be a real tragedy. :(
the interior looks about the same as the buffalo station. but the Michigan station has been and still is used for movie sets. the Detroit police were going to restore the building and use it as there headquarters but moved into a different building instead

Last edited by a moderator:

ArmTrak?
the last thing amtrak needs is the same sercurty crap that they have at airports. if you got 5 minutes between connections lets say on the NEC your never gonna catch it. amtrak ridership will go down.

I'm assuming National Railroad is Amtrak. So that's not $1billion for Amtrak, its $850,000,000 to play with as they see fit - upgrading, expansion, cars etc.The $450,000,000 is for security? Does that mean we'll be subjected to NTSB style hassling? Hire more Special Agents? Armor plate the Capitol Ltd?
You're probably thinking TSA, not NTSB. But I'm not sure what good could come of half a billion dollars for security for Amtrak.

Maybe they want to find a way to prevent AEDs from growing feet.

ArmTrak?
the last thing amtrak needs is the same sercurty crap that they have at airports. if you got 5 minutes between connections lets say on the NEC your never gonna catch it. amtrak ridership will go down.
Apparently that's where some of the hidden support came for the bump up. A lot of Republican types "who are tired of taking their pants off at airports" evidently support HSR. NYT suggested that the increase was caused by criticism that the stimulus lacked vision and sufficient infrastructure component.

Unclear to me what the extra money for Amtrak is for. HSR has almost no controls on it right now. I expect Congress will flesh out the program with statutes in a few weeks. Washington Post simply suggests (with no evidence whatsoever, apparently) that its a secret earmark for a Maglev train from Las Vegas to "Disneyland" which I suppose is a code word for the Fullerton depot. More recent suggestions suggest that its meant for the Chicago to Minneapolis run. All things being equal, three state routes are more politically palatable than two state or one state routes. I hope they fund three or four of these things in different areas, even if it takes a further appropriation, as that would build broad based support.

I'm assuming National Railroad is Amtrak. So that's not $1billion for Amtrak, its $850,000,000 to play with as they see fit - upgrading, expansion, cars etc.The $450,000,000 is for security? Does that mean we'll be subjected to NTSB style hassling? Hire more Special Agents? Armor plate the Capitol Ltd?
You're probably thinking TSA, not NTSB. But I'm not sure what good could come of half a billion dollars for security for Amtrak.

Maybe they want to find a way to prevent AEDs from growing feet.
Yeah, TSA. Brain lock...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back