What's to do in DAL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donctor

Conductor
What's there to do in Dallas? I'll have about 4 hours there on Thursday, and I need to find something to do. Thanks.

What's there to do in Dallas? I'll have about 4 hours there on Thursday, and I need to find something to do. Thanks.
Two blocks from the station is the JFK Book Depository Museum and Dealy Plaza-the train actually crosses the rail trestle that looks down into Dealy Plaza and you can see the fence below the tower where supposedly the Grassy Knoll Shooter was standing! Theres a nice Deli right beside the station ( I want to say it's called Cindy's but not positive!) Union Station @ one time was nice, but it's basically an empty shell with no services! The Dallas transit DART trains stop here, run all over town, also the TRE trains run to FTW, you can get to/from DFW Airport by buying a ticket to the Midway Station and a bus will shuttle you to the airport,cheap way to the airport! If the JFK thing doesnt float your boat, Id say ride the TRE to FTW to the old T&P Station, then back to the Intermodel Station (Greyhound/Amtrak/City busses all use this), there's a Subway Sandwich place inside, also some days an old guy sells hot dogs and cokes outside the station!

If you had time( 4 HRS isnt much!), I'd say you could also ride the DART to McKinney Avenue (North Dallas) where the old street cars run, theres lots of shopping and resturants here (uposcale)! Another thought is to take the Green Line (DART) to the FairGrounds where the Cotton Bowl,Texas State Fair and the Rail Museum are located! Google up the DART and TRE schedules, also Dallas has lots of web info! Really downtown isnt much, tall buildings, they are trying to get the West End Entertainment District going (clubs/resturants/condos etc.) Its too far to go out to Jerry World or the Ranger BallPark, they are in Arlington which is half way between DAL and FTW, Amtrak goes past them but doesnt stop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Union Station @ one time was nice, but it's basically an empty shell with no services!
Just curious, but is this because of some ongoing renovation or construction work? What sorts of services have been removed/closed?

FWIW, I've never been to Dallas Union Station.

s

Union Station @ one time was nice, but it's basically an empty shell with no services!
Just curious, but is this because of some ongoing renovation or construction work? What sorts of services have been removed/closed?

FWIW, I've never been to Dallas Union Station.
No, it is just a very bare bones station.

I have not been to Dallas Union Station since before President Kennedy was shot. So I can be forgiven if my memories are a little hazy.

I will not attempt to name all the trains whch used to serve Dallas but I will list the railroad companies as shown in a 1957 Official Guide

They are:

Rock Island

Fort Worth and Denver

Frisco

MKT

Santa Fe

Southern Pacific

Texas and Pacific

The further back you go, the more services it would have had.

If you are a rail fan, and I assume you are, there is lots to do. First of all check out the McKinney Avenue Trolley. It's free and there are lots of restaurants and such along the route and they run vintage trolleys all day long. Stop off and visit the car barn. The people there are very friendly and like to talk about their operation. One time I visited, we couldn't get a cab back to Union Station so they just rolled out an trolley and took us to town where we could catch one. We did make a donation. You can catch the light rail train at Union Station to downtown where it's about a two block walk to catch the trolley.

http://www.mata.org/

Then there is Dart and the Dallas light rail system. Take a ride on one of their lines.

http://www.dart.org/

http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

And there are the commuter trains to Ft Worth which take about an hour.

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

Other than that, there are the usual tourist things to do.

http://www.visitdallas.com/

Nah, first poster had it square on. Don't have to be a history buff, or old enuff to have remembered the Kennedy assassination. The museum at the School Book Depository, with the displays, movies, etc., and the chance to walk around the grassy knoll, the triple overpass, and stand at the fence where "Badgeman" supposedly was, and talk to the "characters" who are there selling the conspiracy theories, (give 'em a buck or two, or buy a post card from them) should MORE than take up the four hours of layover time you have....

If you have NO INTEREST in that, then yes, hop on the light rail, and check out the trollys.

If you had time( 4 HRS isnt much!), I'd say you could also ride the DART to McKinney Avenue (North Dallas) where the old street cars run, theres lots of shopping and resturants here (uposcale)!
The name of the station there is called "Cityplace". It's the only "subway" station in Texas. Red & Blue lines stop there. The track at the station there is about 120 feet under US-75. If you take the WEST exit, you will be at the one of the places there the McKinney Avenue Trolley stops and reverses direction. A full loop on the trolley takes about 45 minutes and it's free. There is also a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant on the corner of Lemmon & McKinney called Hook, Line & Sinker. Great crawfish & other seafood. The shrimp cocktail is a must! You can get a good meal for under $10, but $15 will stuff ya.

If that's too far out, I would hop on DART to the West End (one stop away the OTHER direction from the convention center. It's a pretty fun place to hang out and there are much more reasonably priced places to dine.

Finally, there's Deep Ellum - not real happening during daylight hours, but it's sort of the counter culture part of town. Jazz joints, grunge, and punk club rein here. You'll need to go to the West End and transfer to the Green Line (same direction).

Other than that, just walk through Union Station to the other side and walk down Elm, Main, or Commerce streets and back on another and enjoy some way cool architecture.

Enjoy!

Skip the deli. I went there and it was not very good. There are a bunch of restaurants in west end. Use yelp to check them out. Texas book depository is worth the visit. Of you ate gonna rail fan, then do the mckinny street car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back