What's your favorite Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to speak up for my home station... kansas city union station. restored in 1999, and at one time one of the largest and busiest in the country, it's now home to restaurants, museums, and (appropriately) multiple amtrak trains daily. a century-old railroad bridge was moved and is now a pedestrian link to an adjacent neighborhood.
for bustle, i'd also go with chicago. i'm about to embark on my cross-country trip, so i might change my mind on runners-up: portland and LA are on the route!
One of the biggest disappointments from my trip last May on the SWC heading west was not being able to see this station. I had read and heard a lot about it, but we were four hours down when we arrived at KCUS and the conductor gave me a stern warning not to leave sight of the train as we were departing once everybody was aboard (we were originally supposed to have a 1/2 hour stop here). :(

Guess I'll have to see it next time... B)

Dan

So many to chose from.

LA union station has a great southwestern charm, with lovely courtyards.

Philadelphia Penn is very nice

Grand central (not amtrak) has great architecture and murals

Washington Union station is the station I spend the most time after Penn in NYC, but penn is very ugly and convoluted. Washington is well set up, has great architecture and shops. Even the tracks are well set up.

I kind of like Philly, 30th Street.

Two reasons:

1. It large enough to be impressive but ,

2. iI is not so large that one can become easily confused or lost.

Aloha

Been reading your choices, and finally I am going to add Penn Station, NYC. Not so much for the building but for the amount rail traffic there. I missed the grander of the original but at 16 watched so many trains going under the Hudson.

Favorite Large Station: Grand Central/NYC. The archetecture here alone would qualify it for the top spot!! Although Penn Station is located under Madison Square Garden...and, if you look out Penn's front door, the view of the Empire State Building will engulf you....it pales to its cross-Manhattan rival in grandeur!!

Favorite Small Station: Winter Park, Florida. The idea of a train operating in a pristine, but busy, city park is too good to be passed up!!

Most disappointing station: Jacksonville, Florida. Thirty years ago, when Amtrak moved from downtown Union Terminal to the first of the "Amtrak Cracker Boxes"....it only sped up the demise of downtown Jacksonville as a destination for visitors...and locals. It would take several million well-spent dollars, but Amtrak could move back reasonably easy!! I've seen plans for a combined Amtrak/Greyhound/Jacksonville City Bus transit center, which would be the standard for any downtown area, for 150 million dollars!! Now, I understand, 150 mil is a lot of "coinage"...but, the Jacksonville City Council was held hostage by the NFL, and "upgraded" a nearly brand new Alltel Stadium(where the Jaguars play!!)...prior to landing the Super Bowl 2 years, for over $160 million!! So, the government(at any level) will spend our money, where they want to!!

Besides...the current JAX Amtrak station is on the fringe of a very dangerous 'hood..where over 100 murders have taken place within the last 18 months. IMO, Amtrak can't consider moving back downtown too soon!!

Least Utilized grand Station with most potential: Cincinnati Union Station.....agreeing with a number of prior posts.

From the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman53

I 3rd this one Cincinnati Union StationMy Top 3

1. Cincinnati Union Station

2. St. Louis Union Station, No NOT The Trailer the real station which SHOULD still be in use but it isn't.

3. Chicago Union Station
My vote goes to Omaha Nebraska! Ha, just kidding; but if you ever have any time there, next door to the tiny Amtrak building (and across the railyard) is the old Union Station. Now a museum, and it's just fantastic for any railfan to walk through--reminiscent of thd 1940's (wwii era) train station, shows the hustle. Even an old train to wander through.

Love Chicago Union, Washington Union, Philly 30th St....

But have to also cast votes for Deland, FL (recent renovation) and am anxious to see the interior of the newly renovated Harper's Ferry Station. The outside looks great--after it resembled an abandoned shed for so many years!

The grounds surrounding and the exterior of Whitefish, MT are worth seeing too--

My favorite station is Worcester, MA. It is a beautiful, old, classically styled American train station that has been recently restored. I'd use it more, but as for Amtrak, it only sees the two Lakeshore Mass. Stub Trains.

After WOR, I'd vote for LA Union Station. It is big, busy, and a striking mix of Spanish and Art Decco styles.

Finally, I'd vote for Boston - Route 128. It is an architectural eyesore. It is a box surrounded by a parking structure. But unlike Worcester, LA, Boston - South Station, or any other train station I have boarded a train lately, it HAS a parking lot. It is also the closest train station to the NEC to my house, so I use it when travling south.

Rick

My Favorite Station is LA for its design, but Washington DC for things to do and places to eat.

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back