Wheel wear lubricator

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warbonnet

Service Attendant
Guys,

Can somebody explain to me what a "wheel wear lubricator" is? I have heard it referred to, but not sure what it means. It's suppose to be mounted somewhere between the rails to reduce friction between the wheel flanges and the rail, probably in tight curves. Does it disperse grease or what exactly? Thanks

Wb

The only thing I really know of that gives better traction is sand. My best guess is that wheel wearlubricator would work similar to a cars (automobile) braking system by putting out a liquid to help reduce friction.

WB,

I think that it can be grease, water, or some other type of lubricant. Regardless of what's used, its job is exactly what you guessed at. As a train approaches a sharp curve, it closes a track circuit (much the same way that a train approaching a crossing triggers the gates). This activates the WWL (Wheel Wear Lubricator), which then squirts whatever it's loaded with.

Here in the NYC Subway system, they use two types of WWL's, a grease system and a water-based system. Although they are never used together in the same place, as that would just make a mess.

In the case of the grease type, it's mounted right alongside the inside of the rail. When activated, small amounts of grease are squirted up and into a little long flat well. The flange of the wheel, the part that hangs below the rail, picks up the grease from this well. This then cuts down on the friction, as the wheels are jammed into the rail in a tight turn.

In the case of the water system, tiny little spray heads located on the roadbed in between the two rails, simply spray water throughout the entire curve. This soaks the whole track and again reduces the friction, along with those ear-deafening screeches, as the train rolls through the curve.

While this method is cheaper to use, it also has the effect of speeding up tie rot. It however is much more environmentally friendly by comparison to the grease. I'm not real sure which is most effective at cutting down on the wear and tear of both the rails and the wheels.

To my knowledge WWL's are only used in tight curves though and maybe switches. Using one anyplace else would just be counterproductive, as you want more friction for better traction when you are running all out on a straightaway.

I think the water system would probably work weel in a place like the NEC as they use concrete ties for the most part. I'm surprised the MTA hasn't switched to concrete ties by now.

I'm surprised the MTA hasn't switched to concrete ties by now.
Many subways still use wood because there is less wear in the tunnels, thus no need to replace them. Also track work, let alone replacing ties, in the tunnels is almost impossible with trains running every 5-10 minutes. Most heavy track work is done between 1am and 4am when trans aren't running.
Kind of off topic, but there was an excellent presentation on A & E about the operations of the MTA New York subway. The program was called "Behind Closed Doors" and it did touch a bit on track repair.

battalion51 said:
I'm surprised the MTA hasn't switched to concrete ties by now.
Well first let me clarify something. The MTA includes the NYC Subways, Metro North, and the LIRR. The MTA is the parent company if you will.

Now the LIRR and Metro North are indeed switching over to concrete ties. They still have a ways to go, but each summer more wooden ties bite the dust.

As for the subways, they really can't use concrete ties. For the elevated lines, the concrete has two problems. One, they are to heavy. If they were placed on the metal girders, it's quite likely that the weight of a passing train along with the weight of the ties would be too much for the structure to support. It would probably lead to metal fatigue and eventually failure.

Second, I'm not real sure if there would be a way to anchor the ties. Currently metal straps that run around the girder and are then nailed into the tie hold the wooden ties in place.

Now when it comes to the underground portions of the subway, they can't use concrete ties because the roadbed is concrete. You can't put a concrete tie into a concrete roadbed. I'm not quite sure just why that won't work, but I do know that it doesn't.

However and coincidentally, the MTA just announced today that they are going to start buying plastic ties. These will be similar to the ones the Chicago is currently buying and using.

The company's composite railroad ties are made of recycled plastic and fiberglass for durability and strength. According to the company, benefits include a greater life expectancy over wood ties, no hazardous materials used or needed to have or maintain insect and rot resistance, no hazardous materials generated and no seepage of hazardous materials into the environment.
You can read the full story from Trains.com

In another odd twist, the company is also located in your home state Battalion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back