Wheelchair availability Penn station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my uncle arrives from Montreal at Penn Station in NYC, would a wheelchair be available to bring him downstairs to our car?

Thx

If he lets the train crew know before the train arrives in NY, they will usually be able to radio ahead to have a red cap with a wheelchair meet the train. I'm assuming you mean upstairs to a car....It is a very busy area, although not so bad at the hour that the ADK arrives, unless something is going on in the Garden.. Might be best to have a plan where you will meet.

Thanks guys for your fast replies!!

I did mean from the platform to where will pick him him at street level.

Do the Red Caps run the wheelchairs, is there a tip involved, if so how much? Can we meet him on the platform and take a wheelchair down to the street level.

This brings up another question... where would be the best place to wait for him at the street level??

Thx again

Thanks guys for your fast replies!!

I did mean from the platform to where will pick him him at street level.

Do the Red Caps run the wheelchairs, is there a tip involved, if so how much? Can we meet him on the platform and take a wheelchair down to the street level.

This brings up another question... where would be the best place to wait for him at the street level??

Thx again

Red Caps will be able to get him from the train to Street Level.

Red Caps are in charge of the wheelchairs. The user thinks that a $5 is appropriate for a tip. The train from Montreal will arrive on 5,6,7, or 8.

My suggestion is to set up a meeting spot before hand that way there is no confusion between anybody. :)

As I m unfamiliar with the area I.e. Penn station area of Manhattan... is there a loading zone for picking up handicap passengers?

There used to be a taxi ramp/dropoff that connected 33rd to 31st st. Access to vehicles was cut off post 911. It is still usable as a pedestrian entrance/exit. If someone can stay with the car, you can probably pull over and wait mid-block on 31st street. 33rd is a pedestrian block now, soon to be a new LIRR entrance to the station. You'll usually see a bunch of Amtrak and MTA PD vehicles over there (near the ramp on 31st). Do not leave the car unattended!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I also sent to AMTRAK a tweet asking for their assistance..
Their reply was:

The best way to make sure that you receive the assistance at a station is to make a specific request for assistance when you make your reservation. If you book your trip on https://t.co/TYfkHA1Wz3, you can request the use of a station-provided wheelchair to help you get to your train, or assistance from a uniformed Amtrak staff member.

Thank you all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back