Wheeled luggage on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Carolg

I'm taking Amtrak's Zehyr to San Francisco in April. I bought a 28" Pullman to use on the trip but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. It is very heavy when packed and I'm worried about getting it up the step onto the train and then up the short staircase to the sleeping compartments. Has anyone here used a wheeled Pullman on an Amtrak train and have you had any problems maneuvering it onto the train? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Carolg

[email protected]

Guest_Carolg said:
I'm taking Amtrak's Zehyr to San Francisco in April. I bought a 28" Pullman to use on the trip but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. It is very heavy when packed and I'm worried about getting it up the step onto the train and then up the short staircase to the sleeping compartments. Has anyone here used a wheeled Pullman on an Amtrak train and have you had any problems maneuvering it onto the train? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Carolg

[email protected]
The conductor or attendant will help you get it up into the train car, and there is a luggage rack just inside the door downstairs where you can store it. There is no way you could store that large of a bag in your sleeping room. I would suggest, if you must bring that bag on the train, that you get a smaller bag for toiletries, valuables, medications, reading materials, etc. and keep that in your room with you. The large bag can stay downstairs and you can access it during the trip as needed. :)

Please remember however that Amtrak limits the weight of suitcases to 50 lbs. This applies to checked baggage and carryon baggage. If you carry it yourself, then you may be able to get away with a little more than 50 lbs, however if you ask for help, then take care not to pack more than the 50 lb limit or you may not get help.

Also I concur with Anthony's statement, make sure to pack a small bag with your toiletries, pj's, and a change of cloths as the big suitcase won't fit comfortably in your bedroom, unless you have a deluxe room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back