When boarding for a roomette ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago I took AMTRAK coach from Albuquerque to L.A. When the train arrived in Albuquerque about forty passengers rushed toward the train and a single attendant (?) stepped off the train. First he allowed families with children; then people traveling with someone; and then individual passengers.

I had reserved a lower level coach seat. He told those of us with lower level reservations to walk back outside the train three cars, where we were told at that point the car was not equipped with lower level seating. So we went back to the crowd and waited.

All that said, I plan to reserve a roomette for a round trip in May from Albuquerque to L.A.*
Will there be separate boarding for roomette, or am I most likely to have to wait my turn among the crowd of coach passengers before I can board?

And, if I reserve my trip on the phone with AMTRAK, can I request and get a lower level roomette (as I am disabled, walk with a cane, and don't do well with stairs)?

*I’m actually going to San Diego, but taking roomette to L.A. and then business coach round trip L.A. to San Diego although
I may book a roomette Albuquerque to Fullerton, CA and then business coach Fullerton, CA to San Diego

Thank you for your input - much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
We travel to/from ABQ all the time. :)

You can, indeed, request a lower level roomette. Just ask the phone agent for a lower level room. You can't pick your roomette if you book online. I would also have them make a note that you are disabled and use a cane. That alerts the crew (I think it's on the manifest?)

When you arrive at the station, just look for your car number. The sleeper car attendants are generally hanging out near the doors to each car and will help you if you're unfamiliar with the car numbers. They'll check your name off the list, and if the conductor is nearby, they'll scan your ticket. Since you need some assistance, the SCA will then help you to your room.

The longest "line" we've ever been in for the ABQ sleepers consisted of maybe two people ahead of us. We travel during Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we always expect a longer line, but that's never been the case.

I haven't been to Albuquerque, but every time I have boarded for a roomette at any time of station, I was boarded separately and at the actual car I my roomette was in.

When you arrive at the station, just look for your car number.
Will that be on my ticket, and on the side of the train car?
Yes. The car numbers are near the doors.

See the little, yellow oval in the photo, near the windows on the bottom level? That's where the car number is.

Amtrak-39009-Superliner-transition-sleeper-MEM-7-4-08.jpg

It will be on your ticket too.

ticket.jpg

There is always the chance that the car number on the train car MAY be wrong. Using Sarah's ticket example, the car number might show on the train car as 3009 (30 is the eastbound equivalent of 29(2909). In your case your car number will be 03xx (west bound SWC). Hopefully the car will also show 03xx.

There is always the chance that the car number on the train car MAY be wrong. Using Sarah's ticket example, the car number might show on the train car as 3009 (30 is the eastbound equivalent of 29(2909). In your case your car number will be 03xx (west bound SWC). Hopefully the car will also show 03xx.
Yeah, sometimes they forget to change the car numbers. The SWC is #3 going westbound and #4 going eastbound. The last two numbers are the important ones.

Honestly, though, just walk to the first sleeper you see and ask the SCA for help if needed. I always glance at the car numbers, but we're usually greeted by someone the second we get close to the train. I very rarely have to search for our car.

I think you have an excellent idea about getting off in Fullerton and waiting for the southbound Surfliner instead of going into LA because the Fullerton station is easier to navigate since it is so much smaller.

In Albuquerque your boarding into the sleeper will be easier than getting into coach. There is usually an attendant standing outside at least one of the cars and they tend to be pretty helpful. There aren't as many people heading for sleepers as compared to coach so you get a bit more personal attention if you need it. Plus the attendant for your car will actually be expecting you and may even know your name ahead of time.

The Downstairs Roomettes are numbered #11-#14 and are located in front of the Family Bedroom. Just let the agent know when you call and mention your disability as was said!

Also please be sure the Conductor Scans your e-ticket every time you board so that the rest of your Reservation isn't canceled as a No Show! Only Conductors can do this, train attendants can't but it's good to mention it to the attendant when you board because some Conductors " forget!"

Note, however, that the train from ABQ arrives on the north side at Fullerton while trains to San Diego depart on the south side. You will need to take an elevator from trackside up to an overhead pedestrian walkway, cross over via the walkway to the south side, then down another elevator to trackside on the southside. Any baggage that you have checked to your final destination will be automatically transferred from one train to the other in Fullerton by Amtrak personnel.

Keep in mind that if you have a lower level roomette that your access to the dining car and sightseer lounge will be up the stairs (to walk through the train) or you have to wait for a stop to change cars.

You might want to get an upstairs room. You would only need to do the stairs at the start and end of your trip. That way you can go to the diner and lounge.

Unlike coach, there is one bathroom upstairs. The shower and additional bathrooms are downstairs.

Note, however, that the train from ABQ arrives on the north side at Fullerton while trains to San Diego depart on the south side. You will need to take an elevator from trackside up to an overhead pedestrian walkway, cross over via the walkway to the south side, then down another elevator to trackside on the southside.
Yes, when I took coach to L.A. last time, I was actually continuing on to San Diego. Other passengers going to Oceanside talked me into getting off at Fullerton, which I did. Coming home I went on to L.A. and found Union Station a bit much ... full of homeless people, difficult to find a seat (I'm disabled), and needing a ride to the train.

If you don't want to walk to the dining car, you can ask the sleeper car attendant to bring meals to your room.

Keep in mind that if you have a lower level roomette that your access to the dining car and sightseer lounge will be up the stairs (to walk through the train) or you have to wait for a stop to change cars.
Yes but ... my train leaves Albuquerque about 5 PM so I thought I'd eat before departure and bring snacks for the night. Or make that one trip up to the dining room.

Yes but ... my train leaves Albuquerque about 5 PM so I thought I'd eat before departure and bring snacks for the night. Or make that one trip up to the dining room.
You probably know -- but may not -- that breakfast, lunch and dinner in the diner are included in your sleeper ticket price (whether you take them in the diner or in your room). This is included in the cost of sleepr ("first-class") travel. You need only pay for any beer/wine or tips.

You probably know -- but may not -- that breakfast, lunch and dinner in the diner are included in your sleeper ticket price (whether you take them in the diner or in your room). This is included in the cost of sleepr ("first-class") travel. You need only pay for any beer/wine or tips.
Yes, thanks. That will be most useful on my return home, as I'd board in Fullerton, CA around ^ PM and arrive in Albuquerque around noon the following day. Might squeeze in 2 or 3 meals, more likely dinner and breakfast.

Any meal suggestions?

Yes, thanks. That will be most useful on my return home, as I'd board in Fullerton, CA around ^ PM and arrive in Albuquerque around noon the following day. Might squeeze in 2 or 3 meals, more likely dinner and breakfast.

Any meal suggestions?
If the train is on time, they usually start serving lunch during the dwell/just after Albuquerque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back