When Does Train 14 Detour EB 28 Passengers to a Bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I remember the old days when CS passengers connecting to the EB had to de-train at KFS and take a day long bus to Pasco to connect with the EB. Ugly. I see that today's CS got in at 6:11; well after the EB left.

Would they have anticipated the delay and done the bus or overnighted the EB passangers?

I just returned from a successful CS-EB connection yesterday. The CS was into PDX early.

I remember the old days when CS passengers connecting to the EB had to de-train at KFS and take a day long bus to Pasco to connect with the EB. Ugly. I see that today's CS got in at 6:11; well after the EB left.
Would they have anticipated the delay and done the bus or overnighted the EB passangers?

I just returned from a successful CS-EB connection yesterday. The CS was into PDX early.
As fate had it, I was one of those affected passengers. They detrained us at Eugene at 2:25 and we bussed up to pdx for an on time departure on train 28. I'll blog about it in the next day or so.

Rafi

As fate had it, I was one of those affected passengers. They detrained us at Eugene at 2:25 and we bussed up to pdx for an on time departure on train 28. I'll blog about it in the next day or so.

Rafi
Better Eugene than KFS. :)

Rafi
Better Eugene than KFS. :)
And better PDX than Pasco! :lol:

The "bus thing" between #14 to #28 happened to me in June 2009. #14 was running early at almost every stop between LA and Klamath Falls... in fact we sat in Klamath for over an hour!... so I wasn't worrying too much about the connection at PDX until we got stuck for almost 3 hours behind a broken down UP engine near Chemult in the mountains up there.

Anyway, they got everyone off at Eugene and were going to bus to either Pasco or even Spokane. Interstate 5 to the 405 bypass to Interstate 84. HOWEVER, I kept looking at the timing of things (bus and of #28) and noticed that we would be totally fine meeting #28 at Bingen-White Salmon. I chatted it up with the bus driver and he agreed with my calculations and called someone with Amtrak who also was fine with it... so they dropped us at Bingen-White Salmon (not much out there besides the BNSF yards) instead of going further. Not to toot my own horn... but the driver was happy he could turn back and get home sooner and the passengers were happy they weren't going to miss the dinner (even if it was a box dinner) on #28.

RT

The "bus thing" between #14 to #28 happened to me in June 2009. #14 was running early at almost every stop between LA and Klamath Falls... in fact we sat in Klamath for over an hour!... so I wasn't worrying too much about the connection at PDX until we got stuck for almost 3 hours behind a broken down UP engine near Chemult in the mountains up there.
Anyway, they got everyone off at Eugene and were going to bus to either Pasco or even Spokane. Interstate 5 to the 405 bypass to Interstate 84. HOWEVER, I kept looking at the timing of things (bus and of #28) and noticed that we would be totally fine meeting #28 at Bingen-White Salmon. I chatted it up with the bus driver and he agreed with my calculations and called someone with Amtrak who also was fine with it... so they dropped us at Bingen-White Salmon (not much out there besides the BNSF yards) instead of going further. Not to toot my own horn... but the driver was happy he could turn back and get home sooner and the passengers were happy they weren't going to miss the dinner (even if it was a box dinner) on #28.

RT
Great advice. Another reason to read this board.

Great job Rob! ;) We need to have people like you working for Amtrak, ie have common sense and know how to persuade people to not be afraid to ask their bosses about deviating from the SOP! I had something similar happen to me on the bustitution from hell last year from KCY-Texas except the bus was Greyhound and the driver wouldnt listen to anyone,ended up getting lost somewhere in the sticks of Oklahoma and caused everyone to miss their connections in DAL including me to the Eagle! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the dreaded KFalls-Pasco bustitution, if late but still enough connect time they bus KFalls-Portland too - have been there - done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back