When to tip the attendant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnHunter

I am currently enjoying a Superliner roomette aboard the Empire Builder for the first time. The sleeper attendant is a little gruff, but not outright rude. Nonetheless, I plan to tip what I believe is an appropriate amount of $20 for two nights. I would like to tip when I leave the train, yet I feel a little odd not tipping when he gave me the champagne, and I'm sure I'll feel the same when he puts the seats into bed configuration later. Is he assuming I will tip at the end, or am I engendering resentment now?

You should have absolutely NO resentment! FWIW, a great many passengers don't tip at all; it's not required or even suggested by Amtrak. Tipping is solely your own decision, so don't be pressured to tip unless you really want to.

That being said, I tip where appropriate. I consider TIPS to more-or-less stand for "To Improve Service" and you don't know if the service is up to your expectations until all services have been rendered! I never tip at a restaurant until the end of my meal, including at places with walk-up counters and tip jars (yes, I will actually walk up before leaving and drop a tip in if warranted, otherwise I'm not pressured to drop my change into the jar for lack of having coins rattle in my pocket.) On Amtrak, this comes to mean $5 per night, per passenger in sleeper. In the dining car, usually it is $2 for breakfast, $4 for lunch and $5 for dinner. The snack car varies, and on trains like the Coast Starlight with a first-class bar I'll tip $1 per beverage. If a tip is coming the attendant's way, I'll wait until I'm on the platform at my destination station and then will make great effort to visibly give them the money. You'd be surprised how many other passengers getting off suddenly realize that tips are given and, if the service really was good, suddenly fish in their pockets for a tip too. :)

I always tip at the end. The car attendant will usually help you get your luggage off of the train, which is when I tip. I usually do $10 per night.

I am currently enjoying a Superliner roomette aboard the Empire Builder for the first time. The sleeper attendant is a little gruff, but not outright rude. Nonetheless, I plan to tip what I believe is an appropriate amount of $20 for two nights. I would like to tip when I leave the train, yet I feel a little odd not tipping when he gave me the champagne, and I'm sure I'll feel the same when he puts the seats into bed configuration later. Is he assuming I will tip at the end, or am I engendering resentment now?
You'd better tip them profusely for the rest of the trip or they'll resent you even more than they already do. Or maybe you shouldn't bother tipping people who are best described as "not outright rude" in the first place.

You'd better do it correctly or they'll put you off at the next stop.

You'd better do it correctly or they'll put you off at the next stop.
Be sure to tip more if they come to a complete stop before 86ing you.

Lest we scare the OP off..... tipping is optional, I do but tipping for bad service is bad form, and most who tip do so at the end of the trip - otherwise it's a bribe.

if u tip early when u board and he gives u bad service

,u cant ask him for your money back, u are s$$t out of luckl

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may speak out of school, I fear $10 per night is a bit high if he/she is being gruff. I normally plan on $10/night and go up or down as service warrents. My last trip on SWC3 went down to my tipping hand disappeared they were so bad.

As to when? On SSLTD 1 and 2 I gave it to them as I disembarked either in NOL or LAX thanking them for a great service and doing the old shake hands with the tip in the palm routine. Other people leave it in their room when they disembark. I would not tip mid trip because it could sway the service to go up or down from there.

By the way, how did you get champagne? Is that an EB thing? I've never seen it and have taken three routes end to end.

EB always serves "welcome" champagne (or sparkling cider), so does the Coast Starlight. Been awhile since I've been any other LDs.

My usual tip is $10/night at the end of the journey. Most people that tip do so at end, so if he is getting hostile because he didn't already get tipped, perhaps you should reconsider the amount. I would.

If I get standard service - bed down, minimal car clean up, maybe a hello, bed up - then I tip ZERO. That is their job.

I just got off the Texas Eagle in FW, and just in Texas, the attendant vacuumed the car no less than three times, cleaned up the bathrooms twice, checked by a couple of times before we got to FW -- where he had our luggage unloaded trainside. That is the extra service deserving of a gratuity.

I don't morally oppose tipping zero for meeting expectations, however it does remove the immediate incentive for providing even at least that level of service.

How far are you into he trip ? Could it be the SCA is a little rushed trying to get all the bottles out etc ?

I always tip the SCA when getting in my room.....$10 per night in advance. I consider "TIP" in this case to mean "To INSURE Performance" While they arn't sure who's gonna tip them when getting off the train, they KNOW who I am and remember that I don't want o sleep through a smoke stop.

I've neverhad a bad SCA, I've had some that were rushed at times but always gave me good service.

If I do ever get bad service, so what ? I haven't yet and would rather tip at the start than keepig count the whole trip as to if the SCA is making my trip a success or not.

I consider "TIP" in this case to mean "To INSURE Performance"
INSURE or ensure?

I've neverhad a bad SCA, I've had some that were rushed at times but always gave me good service.
It's funny how often people say this on the forum, as though it were an objective position. How would you feel if I said I had never once had a good SCA in all my travels? You probably think my expectations were far too high and blatantly unrealistic. On the contrary I've actually had several excellent SCA's over the years. Yet here you are telling us that you've never once had an SCA that did not meet your expectation of good service. Not even one single solitary example. All that tells me is that your expectations are so low that absolutely anyone can meet them no matter what.

I ended up tipping $15 at the end of the trip yesterday, and I actually kind of regret tipping that much. The service was there, but it was minimal and I got a pretty unfriendly vibe the whole time. The service in the dining car was excellent, though, and they got tipped well.

I consider "TIP" in this case to mean "To INSURE Performance"
INSURE or ensure?

It's funny how often people say this on the forum, as though it were an objective position. How would you feel if I said I had never once had a good SCA in all my travels? You probably think my expectations were far too high and blatantly unrealistic. On the contrary I've actually had several excellent SCA's over the years. Yet here you are telling us that you've never once had an SCA that did not meet your expectation of good service. Not even one single solitary example. All that tells me is that your expectations are so low that absolutely anyone can meet them no matter what.
1) Ba-zing, you got me. I'm ignorant.

2) Yes, it depends on expectations. Some people consider a tip in advance is a bribe for good service and didn't bother telling me so. I've had a SCA that was seldom around for most of the trip but he kept ice, water, coffee and juice out, woke me for smoke stops and kept the bath clean and stocked. What more could I ask for ? Yes there have been others that seemed to be just around the corner everytime I left my room. If you were to tell me you've never had a good SCA I would ask why YOU think that had happened. Maybe they have a secret black book that your name was written down in ? :eek:

I believe the level of service we get in most situations greatly depends on how we treat the people who serve us. NO, I'm not saying you personally have treated SCA badly, but I've seen people treat them as a lower class of humanity who's only reason for life is to serve them and then wonder why the SCA isn't always around to receive more abuse.

I watched people in the lounge treat the attendent like a slave. Kids throwing food items they brought with them on the counter and saying " here, warm this up" without a please or thank you. Those same kids made a mess out of the lounge car. Adults that griped and complained at the prices or why they didn't stock their brand of gin. The guy stood there and took it as part of his job as he should but when I purcased a second bourbon I told him please, thank you and apoligized for the great unwashed while putting $2 in the tip cup. He smiled and sighed " thank you so much" and added " if theres anything I can do please let me know". To me, it's about how you treat people. Hey, you like dem run on sentences ? :giggle:

There is one case that I did not tip my sleeper attendant. I did not see him the entire trip, no bed turn down, no visit, no refill water or a smile. At the end of the trip in Chicago, he made it a point to see me getting off the train. I did not even come close to putting my hand in my pocket. I tip all the time to everyone I need too. This guy just ignored me. Tipping is for good service and just being nice.

If I get standard service - bed down, minimal car clean up, maybe a hello, bed up - then I tip ZERO. That is their job.I just got off the Texas Eagle in FW, and just in Texas, the attendant vacuumed the car no less than three times, cleaned up the bathrooms twice, checked by a couple of times before we got to FW -- where he had our luggage unloaded trainside. That is the extra service deserving of a gratuity.
I forget his name, but that sounds like the same attendant I had on the TE. He does an outstanding job and well deserving of the tip I gave him.

On the other side of the equation is the TE attendant I had on the return trip, didn't even come around to put down the bed -- no tip for him.

In my experience, I have not ever had a bad SCA, either. However, I know that there are bad ones out there. I have had good and excellent. I've had overly attentive and available yet not overbearing. In the dining room, however, I have had horrible up through excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back