Where are the typical delays on Calif Zephyr route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow, we have a big family trip (7 of us) heading to Chicago for the weekend out of Osceola, IA. I know the #6 is typically delayed, so we have allowed for about a 3.5 hr delay in our Chicago schedule. The #6 appears to be past Grand Junction, CO tonight with a delay of almost 4.5 hours. But the OSC delay is showing 3 hours at this point.

My basic question is, how realistic to you think the OSC 3 hr delay is? Do the delays on this route typically exist through CA and UT, such that they feel like they make up time through CO and NE? Or are the delays random on this route?

We have a Plan B, just trying to decide whether to cancel tonight or wake up early in the morning to decide.

Thanks.

It always seems to me to be Nevada and Utah or pretty much after Denver. Its usually quite timely once it gets past Denver going eastbound. The #5 is usually pretty close to on time when its westbound to LNK. Have fun!

Other choice would be calling the staffed station just before your station stop, if it's not too far off in the distance. That'll give you more accurate estimate time of arrival. However, that train may be stuck on siding between the staffed station and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back