Where can I find ridership numbers for RVM vs. RVR?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rvm

Train Attendant
Where can I find ridership by train (66,67,94,95,83) comparing Richmond Main Street (RVM) to Richmond Staples Mill (RVR)?

You would have to file a request for that information from Amtrak.

Available online you can see total ridership for those two stations, but that's not by train and at RVR that includes all trains including the Silver Service and the Palmetto. That data however can be found here if you're interested.

Thanks, Alan. I've seen that info before, but it doesn't tell me exactly what I want, which is how many riders choose choose RVM over RVR for trains available at both stations. As you may know, only Regional trains to and from Newport News and points north serve Richmond Main Street. No Silver Service, no Carolinian, and none of the Regionals that terminate in Richmond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find ridership by train (66,67,94,95,83) comparing Richmond Main Street (RVM) to Richmond Staples Mill (RVR)?

WOW, I was just (yesterday) doing a little research on routes in the NE & was wondering the difference in the two stations but hadn't posted the question yet!!!

RF

Richmond Staples Mill (RVR) has been the primary (and only) Amtrak station for Richmond since 1975, although it's located outside the city and poorly integrated into local transit.

Main Street closed in 1971, then reopened within the last few years, to limited service. There are NO Amtrak personnel at Main Street, only a Quik-Trak machine. No southbound trains serve Main Street, only east bound to Newport News.

So to compare ridership by station rather than by train is meaningless. How many passengers boarding trains at Staples Mill would instead board at Main Street if given the choice?

Richmond Staples Mill (RVR) has been the primary (and only) Amtrak station for Richmond since 1975, although it's located outside the city and poorly integrated into local transit.
Main Street closed in 1971, then reopened within the last few years, to limited service. There are NO Amtrak personnel at Main Street, only a Quik-Trak machine. No southbound trains serve Main Street, only east bound to Newport News.

So to compare ridership by station rather than by train is meaningless. How many passengers boarding trains at Staples Mill would instead board at Main Street if given the choice?

So, Think RVR in any planning I may do unless my destination is Newport News?

For changing trains, yes, only RVR. For going to Richmond, RVM/Main Street is closer to downtown and integrated into local transit. RVR/Staples Mill has more trains.

The 2008 Amtrak Fact Sheet states that there were 19,360 boardings and alightings at RVM, and 275,479 at RVR. As is well mentioned before, it doesn't discern how many pax for each train.

For what it's worth, the Lorton Auto Train station saw 234,839 boardings and alightings last year - for ONE TRAIN.

In the same report:

Richmond Main Street Station: Opened for passenger service for the first time in 28 years on December 20, 2003, after the City and State completed a $51.6 million station overhaul (Phase I). Two trains a day currently stop at Main Street Station in each direction. A Phase II project, which would add an additional two round-trips to Main Street Station, relocate train-storage areas, and address train speed issues related to CSX’s Acca Yard, is currently under review by Richmond and the state of Virginia. DRPT is leading a task force on improving rail operations through Acca Yard. An eventual Phase III would allow Amtrak trains to serve Main Street Station to and from the south.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2008 Amtrak Fact Sheet states that there were 19,360 boardings and alightings at RVM, and 275,479 at RVR. As is well mentioned before, it doesn't discern how many pax for each train.
For what it's worth, the Lorton Auto Train station saw 234,839 boardings and alightings last year - for ONE TRAIN.

There is a little more detail available in the NARP station fact sheets. All of the RVM boardings and alightings are allocated to the NEC. As for RVR, the breakdown is as follows:

Northeast Corridor (171,938)

Regional Service - Multiple trains daily

State Supported (35,814)

Carolinian - Daily service

Long Distance (59,773)

Palmetto - Daily service

Silver Meteor - Daily service

Silver Star - Daily service

So, you have roughly nine times as much ridership at RVR vs RVM with double the number of regional trains. Of course, it's not clear that this is particularly informative about what ridership at RVM would be if service were increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back