Where's the fire?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Anybody have info about recent fire on a train? :blink:

There's a V/L in the yard and the Ready Crew was stripping the car.

Story has it that a plastic garbage bag or linen bag caught fire, while laying next to floor heaters! :unsure: OOPS!!!! :(

V/L is OK, just needs a good cleaning inside and out, and change out seats, mattresses, linens, etc.

Got the impression that the crew car was a total loss!

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
Anybody have info about recent fire on a train? :blink:
There's a V/L in the yard and the Ready Crew was stripping the car.

Story has it that a plastic garbage bag or linen bag caught fire, while laying next to floor heaters! :unsure: OOPS!!!! :(

V/L is OK, just needs a good cleaning inside and out, and change out seats, mattresses, linens, etc.

Got the impression that the crew car was a total loss!

MJ B)
Yeah Joe, that would be correct. I was approached by mechanical and car cleaners who boarded my train the other day and started cleaning my car in the station at NYP as I was ending my northbound trip. They were gonna cut my sleeper and the sleeper next to me out immediatly after arrival into SSY. They told me about the fire and what caused it. I figured someone had left linen bags and blankets (which are wrapped in plastic) set up against the floor heaters in the "dance hall" area of the dorm sleeper. I saw the dorm in SSY the next day. It didn't look like a total loss, but it was pretty messed up. It definitely is gonna need a good bit of work. The Viewliner only suffered smoke damage. I was concerned that I might not have a sleeper for the trip back to MIA on #91 the next day. But I had one in my train's consist, though. OBS...

AmtrakFan said:
Was the Viewliner used for Revenue Passengers? Miami Joe I have cars WAY more messed up and they were repaired and some still in service.
I can't think of a better reason to have the Viewliner in the consist if there is a crew car present. LOL...

Just giving you a hard time, but yes it had been used and was intended for #91 the next day for revenue service. The two cars in question were in train #98's consist from that day (I came in on #98 the next day when they needed our cars) after it arrived into NYP. The fire occured in SSY from what I remember. This is all according to the manager and mechanical/cleaners who got on my train the next morning in TRE and NYP. OBS...

Guest_Amtrak OBS Employee said:
AmtrakFan said:
Was the Viewliner used for Revenue Passengers?   Miami Joe I have cars WAY more messed up and they were repaired and some still in service.
I can't think of a better reason to have the Viewliner in the consist if there is a crew car present. LOL...

Just giving you a hard time, but yes it had been used and was intended for #91 the next day for revenue service. The two cars in question were in train #98's consist from that day (I came in on #98 the next day when they needed our cars) after it arrived into NYP. The fire occured in SSY from what I remember. This is all according to the manager and mechanical/cleaners who got on my train the next morning in TRE and NYP. OBS...
OBS sorry about that. I don't know the Silver Trains Routine that well. Sorry

I'm sure the V/L was DH'ed back to Miami!

There's really no damage to the car physically! The vestibule is covered with soot and you can see some soot trailing along the walls near the deluxe rooms.

The biggest concern is the "smoky odor" in the car. Anything made or covered with frabric will be replaced and the interior will be cleaned. I'm curious to see what steps will be taken to clean the HVAC ducts. I heard that the plan is to put ionizers in the car for 48 hrs. :blink: I think the HVAC units should be removed and the ducts scrubbed if they are bare metal. If insulated, bring in a professional duct cleaning company.

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
I'm sure the V/L was DH'ed back to Miami!
There's really no damage to the car physically! The vestibule is covered with soot and you can see some soot trailing along the walls near the deluxe rooms.

The biggest concern is the "smoky odor" in the car. Anything made or covered with frabric will be replaced and the interior will be cleaned. I'm curious to see what steps will be taken to clean the HVAC ducts. I heard that the plan is to put ionizers in the car for 48 hrs. :blink: I think the HVAC units should be removed and the ducts scrubbed if they are bare metal. If insulated, bring in a professional duct cleaning company.

MJ B)
What about using Febreeze? :lol:

AmtrakFan said:
OBS sorry about that. I don't know the Silver Trains Routine that well. Sorry
Nothing personal, bro. No reason to apologize as I was just messing with you a little bit. Notice my little "LOL." Anyway, unless one works on "Silver Service" or rides very often, I wouldn't expect them to know how everything goes as far as routines are concerned. OBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back