which car is business class located on the Palmetto?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
which car is business class located on the Palmetto?
thanks! :)
This comes up about every other week. Respectfully, you may want to utilize the search function in the forum. But, I'll be happy to give you the answer I know. The Palmetto typically runs with faux leather 2x1 seating in a half-diner, half-business class coach at the front of the train behind the baggage car.

However, recently, they've been using refurbished Amfleet IIs. I think that perhaps both are running on the line right now, and I think if you have a particular question about a trip, a reservations agent should be able to figure it out for you.

"...and I think if you have a particular question about a trip, a reservations agent should be able to figure it out for you."

Ummm... isn't one of the purposes of this forum to answer some of those kinds of questions?

"...and I think if you have a particular question about a trip, a reservations agent should be able to figure it out for you."
Ummm... isn't one of the purposes of this forum to answer some of those kinds of questions?
I wish I had recorded my phone conversation with an Amtrak agent yesterday.

Me: "hi, my reservation number is #######... could you please tell me which car is used for business class on this train?"

Agent: "sure, give me a sec..... "

Agen: "ummmm... there is no business class on this train!"

Me: "but I have a reservation for 2 business class seats"

(30 seconds of silence later)

Agent: "oh, yeah, that's right.. you have two business class seats, have a great trip"

Me: "wait, but you haven't answered my original question yet"

Agent: "sorry, what was that question?"

Me: "...about which car is used for business class?"

Agent: "sorry, but like I said, there is no business class on this train, I just looked"

Me: "but you just said you saw my reservation for TWO BUSINESS CLASS SEATS!!!???"

Agent: "ooops, sorry, I'll look it up."

(10 seconds later)

Agent: "no, I don't see business class... there are only coach class seats in reserved coach cars"

(sound of my jaw dropping to the floor, hitting my cat)

Me: "I know... I'm asking if there is s business class car... and where is it located?"

Agent: "well, the business class seats are located in the business class car on the train"

Me: (speechless at this point)

(sound of me SLAMMING DOWN phone)

I swear it was the FIRST TIME EVER that I slameed to phone down on someone. :(

then I came here and asked the question... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean no disrespect. A quick search would reveal that this topic comes up over and over again. In fact, I did answer the question, hapily. No need to feel dejected because I suggested a search.

The fact of the matter is that folks here in the forums don't have access to consist lists if Amtrak decides to move coaches around. Amtrak does. Like GML said, if you don't like your first Amtrak answer, call back and ask again.

My point is this - I've ridden in a 2+1 Faux Leather seat on Palmetto. Others have experienced the refurbished Amfleet II. Since you didn't provide any itinerary information, if there are any changes to the consist, only an Amtrak agent would know (unless it was same day and some railfans saw the train depart earlier from a station upstream). That being said, not all agents know how to use the system to it's full ability and may be too lazy to learn. Easy answer? "I don't know."

I also answered the basic question - which car is business class. It is the first car behind the baggage car at the front of the train.

Sorry if you felt that I was kurt in my reply. I thought I toned it down to as polite as possible because your smiley faces indicated that you were in a happy mood and I wanted to keep you in a happy mood.

I'm sorry if you're in frowny mood now. That wasn't my intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean no disrespect. A quick search would reveal that this topic comes up over and over again.

Perhaps a FAQ-ier FAQ? There have been a few repeat subjects that have popped up recently, including:

*route consists

*advice for traveling w/ kids

*promo code use/abuse (will they ask for proof if I use x?/ethics of unqualified use)

*how best to put it: "romance of the rails," in the literal sense. (this is a legitimate question IMO, dating back at least to "Shuffle Off to Buffalo", and addressing it tastefully in a locked post might save mods some deletion aggravation in the long run)

completed the trip.... but I thought business class was not worth the extra money on the 5.5 hour trip. the seats were wider(2+1 arrangement in front of cafe car), but the seat pitch was about the same. which means I wasn't able to completely stretch my legs out. I walked back to the coach cars and tried a regular coach seat, which had roughly the same legroom.... :( business class only had 15 seats and all were occupied during my entire trip.

next time I'll probably not upgrade, unless coach is completely sold out.... :)

completed the trip.... but I thought business class was not worth the extra money on the 5.5 hour trip. the seats were wider(2+1 arrangement in front of cafe car), but the seat pitch was about the same. which means I wasn't able to completely stretch my legs out. I walked back to the coach cars and tried a regular coach seat, which had roughly the same legroom.... :( business class only had 15 seats and all were occupied during my entire trip.
next time I'll probably not upgrade, unless coach is completely sold out.... :)
Thanks for following up, because I would have assumed that the business class seats would have had more legroom.

(sound of me SLAMMING DOWN phone)

I swear it was the FIRST TIME EVER that I slameed to phone down on someone.
Before hangng up, I would have asked for a Supervisor. I find that usually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back