which downtown is closer to station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YOUNG FAITHFUL

Train Attendant
Am planning a trip to california in July. Don't know the exact dates yet, but I know I'll be arriving on the Texas Eagle on a friday in LA, and spending the night. I plan to go on #14 to oakland the next morning. I noticed from the timetable I can catch #779 at 7:30am the next day and take a side trip to either Santa Barbara or SLO, and connect with #14 later that day. Looks like I could spend more time in SLO.

My question is, which of the two downtowns is closer to the amtrak station. Is either one within walking distance? I know someone on this forum has the answer. Also looking at other trips on way to California. Will let everyone know.

SBA is definitely downtown. I don't remember the location of the SLO station, but don't think it is nearly as downtown as SBA's. SBA is literally on lower State Street, two blocks from Stearns Wharf and the ocean. Walk the other direction up State, and you're in a trendy shopping district with eateries and boutiques.

Santa Barbara is your town, hands down. The Santa Barbara Car Free website is an excellent resource you should use to help plan your trip. Enjoy.

SLO's real downtown is pretty tiny - there's a large suburban area where a lot of local attractions are; SBA is very centralized, so you're better off there, in my opinion...(unless you're just dying for a tour of CalPoly!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back