Which is better Superliner 1 or 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

I want to know which one is better and the ups and downs of each

thanks!

thanks!
They are pretty much the same in most respects in terms of passenger convienence, and you also have to account for the refurbished Superliner Is, which have much better bathrooms that the unrefurbished Is and the IIs. Not counting "rivet counter" differences like the trucks of how far the roof fluting comes down.

The one thing that is different and I do like about the IIs is that they eliminated the nearly useless narrow closet in the economy bedrooms/roomettes in favor of an alcove which I think is more functional.

Despite the better bathrooms in the refurbished Is, there are things I don't like about the refurbished cars. Mainly that they took out the heavy "blackout" curtains and replaced them with much thinner curtains. That coupled with much brighter hall lights make it impossible to fully darken the roomette now.

I have a very, very mild preference for unrefurbished IIs.

thanks!
They are pretty much the same in most respects in terms of passenger convienence, and you also have to account for the refurbished Superliner Is, which have much better bathrooms that the unrefurbished Is and the IIs. Not counting "rivet counter" differences like the trucks of how far the roof fluting comes down.

The one thing that is different and I do like about the IIs is that they eliminated the nearly useless narrow closet in the economy bedrooms/roomettes in favor of an alcove which I think is more functional.

Despite the better bathrooms in the refurbished Is, there are things I don't like about the refurbished cars. Mainly that they took out the heavy "blackout" curtains and replaced them with much thinner curtains. That coupled with much brighter hall lights make it impossible to fully darken the roomette now.

i heard the ride on the superliner 1 isnt as good as on the 2 and that the toilets in 1 don't work as well as 2 when they go into the mountains.(I'm taking the California Zephyr).Also can you call an agent and they know if it is 1 or 2

There's really no difference between the two. I took an around the country trip for my honeymoon (EB, CS, SWC and CL in Superliners) and would have to look at the pictures to tell you what kind of car they're in.

An agent wouldn't be able to tell what specific cars are going to make up your consist, they rotate pretty randomly and make up a train from what's available.

thanks!

i heard the ride on the superliner 1 isnt as good as on the 2 and that the toilets in 1 don't work as well as 2 when they go into the mountains.(I'm taking the California Zephyr).Also can you call an agent and they know if it is 1 or 2
Ride depends more on the condition of the trucks than on the car type. Have been in Is that rode great and IIs that were terrible and vice versa.

Agents probably won't know. Both cars have the same layout and are the same in the inventory. Only the yard crew knows for sure. BTW-there are more Is than IIs, so the odds favor a I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the main difference between the 2 and it really doesn't matter much for you as a passenger.

Superliner 1

942031571_E7wrL-M.jpg

Superliner 2

942031663_ErR3s-M.jpg

They have a different style of truck. Personally I like the refurbished Superliner 1s but they are mostly found on the Empire Builder.

Since 90% of my trips are on Superliners, I have a preference for the rehabbed Is, the bathrooms and shower room are especially nice compared to the IIs and the unrefurbished Is. sadly on the Eagles we get some of the oldest and tiredest equipment Amtrak has.

My biggest problems besides the bathrooms are the curtains not closing right (hence pins or duct tape), the rattles of the road from old, run hard and put up wet cars, and doors that wont close or wont lock or unlock! :eek: Do like the open clothes hanging space on the IIs, and of course being newer they tend to be in fairly good shape compared to the unrefurbished Is which are fast approaching middle age! Long as i have a room on a LD train heading anywhere I can be happy and make do! ;) Jim

Since 90% of my trips are on Superliners, I have a preference for the rehabbed Is, the bathrooms and shower room are especially nice compared to the IIs and the unrefurbished Is. sadly on the Eagles we get some of the oldest and tiredest equipment Amtrak has.

My biggest problems besides the bathrooms are the curtains not closing right (hence pins or duct tape), the rattles of the road from old, run hard and put up wet cars, and doors that wont close or wont lock or unlock! :eek: Do like the open clothes hanging space on the IIs, and of course being newer they tend to be in fairly good shape compared to the unrefurbished Is which are fast approaching middle age! Long as i have a room on a LD train heading anywhere I can be happy and make do! ;) Jim
Middle-aged? The unrefurbished Is have reached middle age and past it. Those suckers are OLD now. :blink:

A basis of comparison -- the original CZ equipment was delivered in 1948/49. At the 1970 discontinuance, they were 21 years old, and I know one of the arguments in the discontinuance petition was the cars were aging and would need to be replaced in the next few years. How true that really wass, I don't know, could just have been an argument for the regulators. In comparision newest Superliner I is 29.

I am with you on being happy with a room on a train. And I got trapped in a roomette last year. Took 3 burly passengers (including yours truly) to fight that sucker open.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really no difference between the two. I took an around the country trip for my honeymoon (EB, CS, SWC and CL in Superliners) and would have to look at the pictures to tell you what kind of car they're in.

An agent wouldn't be able to tell what specific cars are going to make up your consist, they rotate pretty randomly and make up a train from what's available.
That's right! you got married! that explains your disposition lately. I wondered what happened to good ol' Ryan, now I know. Sorry dude.

Please watch your references to #1 and #2 when talking about toilets :giggle:

thanks!

Given the fact that trains are not like planes (you can check what type of equipment airlines are flying on a route/flight but other than Superliner or Viewliner, that's all you get on trains), what is the point of your inquiry abour 1s or 2s?

thanks!

Given the fact that trains are not like planes (you can check what type of equipment airlines are flying on a route/flight but other than Superliner or Viewliner, that's all you get on trains), what is the point of your inquiry abour 1s or 2s?

just wondering since it will be my first trip

In the coaches,what are the differances in restrooms and seats?Is vs. IIs vs. refurbished?

I normally travel in bedrooms on the Superliners and I like the refurbished I's better than the II's. This may seem nit picky, but it is much easier to access the trash bin in the I's than in the II's. IMO, the sinks and counters are more user friendly in the refurbished I's. Overall, I think the I's have a better "feel" to them.

I normally travel in bedrooms on the Superliners and I like the refurbished I's better than the II's. This may seem nit picky, but it is much easier to access the trash bin in the I's than in the II's. IMO, the sinks and counters are more user friendly in the refurbished I's. Overall, I think the I's have a better "feel" to them.

Penny, your grasp of the sleeper equipment variances overwhelms my meager accumulated knowledge. I guess I need to pay more attention.

Penny, your grasp of the sleeper equipment variances overwhelms my meager accumulated knowledge. I guess I need to pay more attention.
When I traveled across country and back in late summer, I traveled on 6 different Superliners and was able to compare the details. When I traveled to the Gathering, I was on 4 Superliners, 3 of which were II's and one (Capitol Limited) was a refurbished I. The CL on which I traveled from WAS to CHI was the nicest Superliner I on which I have traveled thus far.

(Sometimes I pay too much attention to details and I lose the big picture. :wacko: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back