Which LD Train do you perfer to ride across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmtrakRockies

Which long distance trains offer the best view. I plan to travel NY to chicago and onward I have no idea which one I should choose Maybe Empire Builder to Seattle then Coast Starlight to transfer to Southwest Chief or CZ or SL which offers an better scenery, never seen the SW and SL before, whats it like, which one do you guys perfer?

I agree with Palmland. The Empire Builder has been getting a lot of heat for being late nearly all the time. It's not Amtrak's fault.

If you go riding the CZ in coach take a 24 hour break in Glenwood Springs so that you don't have 3 consecutive nights sleeping in a coach seat.

If you wanted to go to Portland or Seattle take the CZ to Sacramento and hang out for about 8 hours and then take the northbound CS at midnight.

If you have lots of time and can tolerate sleeping in coach, you can buy a 15 or 30 day USA Rail Pass that will save some $$ on fares.

I actually reccomend the hotel Whitcomb which is at 8th and market, no shortage of $2 transit options between them.

The EB certainly has its problems, but it's a beautiful route. It depends on how flexible you are with your schedule. It sounds like you have time (and funds) to devote to a long trip - if so, I'd definitely consider the EB.

I've not ridden the CZ, but I'd love to. Having said that, my preference would be:
1) Coast Starlight

2) Empire Builder

3) Southwest Chief

However, if you haven't seen the Southwest and you'd really like to, taking the CZ west to San Francisco, then the CS south to LA, and the SWC back to Chicago would be a pretty good plan.

Then, if you really enjoy the trip, next time you could do EB to Seattle, the CS south to San Francisco, and the CZ east to Chicago. That way, you'll have seen 100% of the good scenery, and the best part (the CZ) twice - once in each direction.

How is the scenery on SWC, people talk about CZ and EB alot but not those southern Routes, also I heard that TSA occasionally searched the trains, should I expect that on SL or SWC. Thanks for the feedback on the railpass though, that will be alot of help. People think I am crazy for doing this.

How is the scenery on SWC, people talk about CZ and EB alot but not those southern Routes, also I heard that TSA occasionally searched the trains, should I expect that on SL or SWC. Thanks for the feedback on the railpass though, that will be alot of help. People think I am crazy for doing this.
One's opinion of scenery is such a personal matter. I'd recommend watching some Youtube videos - there are dozens of SWC videos out there that will give you a pretty good idea of what you'll see out the windows.

Which long distance trains offer the best view.
Strictly a matter of taste.
A lot of people love the big mountains on the California Zephyr. They bore me.

I love seeing the brown of Kansas, the red of New Mexico, and the yellow of Arizona on the Southwest Chief.

Personally, I like seeing the industry of Gary Indiana (which you'll see from NY to Chicago on the LSL). That's not everyone's idea of scenery, though.

Every Amtrak train has scenery. It's all a matter of what you like. Well, one caveat -- you should check the Amtrak timetable to see what areas you'll be going through during the day, because you won't see anything at night!

The Empire Builder is not running anywhere near on time this year, so I'd avoid it if possible. Maybe next year.

I only been on 3 LD trains, Capital Limited, Silver Meteor, and Empire Builder.

Of those 3 LD trains, I like the EB, then Capital Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scenery certainly is a matter of taste. Naked hills and mountains (SWC) I can look at for a few hours. Thus far, it's the only western train I've done.

I'm doing a big trip in July going clockwise: Cardinal from NYP to CHI, then CZ to EMY, then CS to PDX, then EB to GPK and CHI and return by LSL. There'll be a week in there for the San Joaquin down to the national parks too.

I've done the Silver service to Florida several times, as well as the Crescent to New Orleans. Just enjoy the trip. If you're into geology at all, then even the SWC is fun, as there's not much covering up the hills, so you can picture land formation.

There all nice. Even the vacant plains has interest to somebody who has never seen just how much wide open space there is in this country.

I prefer the California Zephyr in a westbound direction. It is daylight from Denver

west, then daylight through the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I once took the Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle from LAX to CHI. There wasn't much

scenery on that route, especially from El Past to San Antanio.

North of Amtrak country is Canada's VIA from Vancouver to Toronto. You travel for three days through the Rockies in the refurbished dome-cars that used to be used in this country. You can't beat the dome cars for viewing. You can see 360 degrees, not just out the sides.

All long distance trains are magic, but living in Los Angeles I've come to love riding the Sunset Ltd., to New Orleans. The legendary old west is all around you from Tucson to El Paso, through the Big Bend and across the Pecos. Then the ride through the swamps and Cajun country get the appetite up for some of that incredible New Orleans cuisine. You arrive in New Orleans at around 10 p.m., or just about the time that the best jazz bands are beginning their sets. New Orleans' history, culture, and architecture is unique and an American gem. See it, live it, and enjoy it before it becomes too gentrified.

Last summer, I rode the SWC, CS, and EB, in that order, out of chicago. The only issue we had was having to bus the length of Oregon so we wouldn't miss our connection in Portland. I believe we were stuck overnight in Sacramento for awhile waiting a late CZ, I think. Here is a video I did from SWC of our portion from CHI to ABQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW2Kxfa3iLA

Which LD Train do I prefer to ride across America?

The Sunset Limited.

Not because of the scenery, although Alpine to El Paso does have some lumpy topography in the distance.

Not because of the service (3 days a week).

Because...

It's the...ONLY...TRAIN...that serves my home town.

(Lord, how I miss the Lone Star....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back