Which LD Trains Have You Traveled On?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Current Trains Have You Taken (Choose All That Apply)

• Auto Train

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Silver Meteor

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Silver Star

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Palmetto (only as far south as Savannah)

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Lake Shore Limited

Votes: 74 57.4%
  • Capitol Limited

Votes: 91 70.5%
  • Cardinal

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • Crescent

Votes: 51 39.5%
  • City of New Orleans

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • Texas Eagle/ Inter American

Votes: 58 45.0%
  • Southwest Chief

Votes: 85 65.9%
  • California Zephyr

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Empire Builder

Votes: 93 72.1%
  • Sunset Limited

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • Coast Starlight

Votes: 93 72.1%
  • None

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure when Adirondack became Laurentian. Was Adirondack when I rode it, had a nice parlour car.

First saw Windsor Station in Jan 1955, leaving for Manchester NH. Steam engine on train across platform. Rode Mtl Ltd in 1962 and again on multiple trips 1965 to 1976. May have done Adirondack about 1971.

Not sure when Adirondack became Laurentian. Was Adirondack when I rode it, had a nice parlour car.
You have it reversed....The Laurentian, was the original day train on the route prior to Amtrak...Amtrak brought it back a few years later as The Adirondack...

ref..... http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/us/DH.htm

Scroll down and you'll see the timetable for it and the overnight Montreal Limited....

Last edited by a moderator:
Traveled on

Southwest Chief: ABQ-CHI

Capitol Limited: WAS-CHI

Capitol Limited: RKV-CHI

Capitol Limited: CHI-RKV

Empire Limited: MKE-SPK

Empire Builder: CHI-SPK

Empire Builder: CHI-SEA

Empire Builder PDX-CHI

Coast Starlight SEA-PDX

Going on the Starlight SEA-BUR later this year.

Figured it out, rode Adirondack in 75 or 76---because the sleepers were gone. Anyway I left Montreal in 76, on the VIA Super Continental. Sorry for the mixup

When Jimmy Carter was our President, there was an early Amtrak train that ran through Dayton, Ohio (I think originating in St. Louis) to New York. I was a passenger on that train on one round trip. But, I don't recall the name of the train, if it had one. I think it was following PRR's Spirit of St. Louis route.

May I add some non-Amtrak train names whose trips I so enjoyed and whose service to the American traveling public ought not to be forgotten?

PRR's The Ohioan, The Fort Hayes, and I think a train called The Buckeye. There was a change in route between the Ohioan and what I recall was the Buckeye between Columbus, Ohio and Chicago. One route went through Dayton, Ohio and the other route went through North of Dayton. Don't recall for sure which was which.

C&NW's Dakota 400, Rochester 400, Twin Cities 400, Rochester-Black Hills Special

New York Central's Ohio State Limited

When Jimmy Carter was our President, there was an early Amtrak train that ran through Dayton, Ohio (I think originating in St. Louis) to New York. I was a passenger on that train on one round trip. But, I don't recall the name of the train, if it had one. I think it was following PRR's Spirit of St. Louis route.
National Limited.

National Limited.

Thank you. I recall that I had a roomette and that the train had a diner/lounge car with a very limited menu. But, it was still a good trip.

In order: Crescent, Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Capitol Limited, and Empire Builder. I've also been on the Texas Eagle, but I didn't include it in my vote since I only rode it within the footprint of the Lincoln Service.

Kind of off topic, but one of the cool things about riding the LDs is buying the posters and hanging them proudly on your wall. I was just on the Amtrak store website and didn't see any. They're not gone for good are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back