Which option would you choose?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supergrandmother

Train Attendant
I've been looking forward to a LD trip for a while and finally, the time is right. So far the longest trip I've taken is Atlanta to Washington DC so I'm really excited about this.

Now my problem is where to go this June???

Option 1: The Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans; the City of New Orleans to Chicago; the Empire Builder to Seattle; Coast Starlight from Seattle to San Francisco/Emeryville; then on to Los Angeles. Return trip would be Los Angeles to Williams Junction ( Grand Canyon); then back to Chicago, NOL, and Atlanta.

Option 2: Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans; City of New Orleans to Chicago; California Zephyr to Emeryville/San Francisco; Coast Starlight to Los Angeles; Williams Junction (Grand Canyon); Chicago; Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh; Pennsylvanian to Philadelphia; Washington, DC; Atlanta.

Basically, I would be trading a night in Seattle for a couple of hours in Pittsburgh; a couple of hours in Philadelphia, and a night in DC. I have some time and money constraints; can't really take more than 2-3 weeks off work at a time.

I'm sure I'll get some good advice from this forum.

Also, any advice on hotels in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.? We stayed at a Courtyard Marriott on 9th (?) street in DC last year so I'd probably go back there. It was very pleasant.

I've been looking forward to a LD trip for a while and finally, the time is right. So far the longest trip I've taken is Atlanta to Washington DC so I'm really excited about this.

Option 1: The Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans; the City of New Orleans to Chicago; the Empire Builder to Seattle; Coast Starlight from Seattle to San Francisco/Emeryville; then on to Los Angeles. Return trip would be Los Angeles to Williams Junction ( Grand Canyon); then back to Chicago, NOL, and Atlanta.

Option 2: Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans; City of New Orleans to Chicago; California Zephyr to Emeryville/San Francisco; Coast Starlight to Los Angeles; Williams Junction (Grand Canyon); Chicago; Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh; Pennsylvanian to Philadelphia; Washington, DC; Atlanta.

Basically, I would be trading a night in Seattle for a couple of hours in Pittsburgh; a couple of hours in Philadelphia, and a night in DC. I have some time and money constraints; can't really take more than 2-3 weeks off work at a time.

Also, any advice on hotels in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.? We stayed at a Courtyard Marriott on 9th (?) street in DC last year so I'd probably go back there. It was very pleasant.
Check out this link. Fly Instead

Just kidding, of course! I can hear the foamers steam coming their ears. (includes me)

Might want to consider the Cardinal (but book EARLY, sleeper are $$$) vs. the Capitol Limited, but during the summer, all trains have good scenery, but OP here can REALLY give you the lowdown.....

Id not choose Option 2, the Cardinal is an excellent choice over the Cap Ltd. if you can book a room @ a reasonable price! (Its only 3 days a week and very busy most times!)No real reason to go to Pittsburgh or Philly I'd say, the train gets to Piit @ like 530 in the morning and while the Phil 30th St. station is great no big deal, the WAS station is just as good! I love WAS,DC but for a vacation go for Seattle especially in the Summer! There are plenty of good, reasonable hotels, lots of recommends on this sight but I recommend Orbitz.com cause you can look the actual hotel youll be staying in and they DO send you a check if the price goes down! (I got 2 from Seattle this year!)The Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Coast Starlight are the best of Amtraks trains, choosing between them is a matter of taste but it's hard to argue with choosing the Zephyr over the Chief unless you really want to see the Grand Canyon! Great trip, I'm envious! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know anything about hotels in San Francisco, but I know lots about hotels in Seattle and hotels in Los Angeles. Hotel reviewing is a part time job for me. What is your budget and what type of hotel (4*, 3*, 2*) are you looking for?

I'd go with option two, less backtracking over the same rails - I'm doing a similar trip this spring and one of my goals was not to go past the same point twice, so I'm doing WAS-CHI (Cardinal), PDX, LAX, CHI, WAS (Cap Limited).

If you're more flexible, I'd do option 1, but trade the CHI-NOL-ATL at the end for CHI-WAS-ATL or CHI-CVS-ATL.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew I would get some good info here.

I'm so excited because I'll be taking this trip by myself. I've always taken a grandchild with me before. They are going to be so surprised when Grandmother tells them she going on vacation alone this year! :lol:

Don't know anything about hotels in San Francisco, but I know lots about hotels in Seattle and hotels in Los Angeles. Hotel reviewing is a part time job for me. What is your budget and what type of hotel (4*, 3*, 2*) are you looking for?

I'm not real particular as long as the hotel is safe for a grandmother traveling alone. I would go back to the hotel in Washington because it's a little funky.... in an old bank building that still has some of the bank left like the vault door in the breakfast area. I like the unusual. I actually found it on Priceline (despite all the naysayers who told me not to use Priceline!). I would probably go with a 3 or 4* hotel. My budget is flexible but I do like to save money whenever I can.

Thanks for your help. I'll be looking forward to your suggestions.

I'd go with option two, less backtracking over the same rails - I'm doing a similar trip this spring and one of my goals was not to go past the same point twice, so I'm doing WAS-CHI (Cardinal), PDX, LAX, CHI, WAS (Cap Limited).
If you're more flexible, I'd do option 1, but trade the CHI-NOL-ATL at the end for CHI-WAS-ATL or CHI-CVS-ATL.
Good advice~ the City is down to a glorified Hiawatha with a glorified snack car although they call it a CCC. The Crescent has a full diner and a newer lounge than those of the smoking days. The Viewliners are coming out of rehab looking pretty good. All I can say about option 1 is "You might be sorry."

My suggestion would be option 1. The Empire Builder is the flagship train of Amtrak and gets the most praises.

I'm not real particular as long as the hotel is safe for a grandmother traveling alone. I would go back to the hotel in Washington because it's a little funky.... in an old bank building that still has some of the bank left like the vault door in the breakfast area. I like the unusual. I actually found it on Priceline (despite all the naysayers who told me not to use Priceline!). I would probably go with a 3 or 4* hotel. My budget is flexible but I do like to save money whenever I can.

Thanks for your help. I'll be looking forward to your suggestions.
Like I was telling ya through PM, Priceline has done me wonders. I have never been ripped, rarely get a crappy hote and always am treated decent. Big priceline fan and will continue using it as long as it saves me hundreds of dollars. People just gotta UNDERSTAND that you cannot cancel using priceline. Those who don't understand this hate it. Sent you what I learned about bidding in Seattle and Los Angeles via PM.

A few of us offered Seattle hotel and restaurant suggestions in the thread We Have To Eat When We Get There from a few days ago.
Do you have an opinion about the Alexis Hotel? I plan to be in Seattle for 2 nights in late August, I have made a reservation at that hotel. I have a friend who used to live in Seattle and she suggested the Edgewater. However, the room rates are through the roof and the reviews I have read are up and down.

A few of us offered Seattle hotel and restaurant suggestions in the thread We Have To Eat When We Get There from a few days ago.
Do you have an opinion about the Alexis Hotel? I plan to be in Seattle for 2 nights in late August, I have made a reservation at that hotel. I have a friend who used to live in Seattle and she suggested the Edgewater. However, the room rates are through the roof and the reviews I have read are up and down.
My wife and I have stayed at the Alexis twice and we enjoyed it both times. It's a boutique-style hotel with comfortable and interestingly decorated rooms, and a friendly, helpful staff. It is a nice change of pace from the large, chain hotels. McCormick and Schmick’s is right down the street - another plus.

When the Sultan of Brunei visited Seattle, he stayed at the Alexis. I kid you not. If I remember correctly, he took the whole top floor.

So it must be okay.

I've spent many a happy hour in the bar at the Alexis, but don't know anything about the rooms or other amenities.

My suggestion would be option 1. The Empire Builder is the flagship train of Amtrak and gets the most praises.
This part really puzzles me...
I have heard great praise about the EB (and I have even booked a westbound trip for later this year) but when comparing alternate routes (CZ & SC) for the same dates, the sleeper prices were at least double if not triple those of the EB.

It just seems odd to me. :huh:

That's the wonder of bucket pricing!
Is it? I was looking at dates way far out (November) when I saw those differences. I haven't bothered to check the rates at the 11 month 'leading edge' of reservations but it just seemed that perhaps the rates were based more on trip popularity than the actual quality of said trip.

That's the wonder of bucket pricing!
Is it? I was looking at dates way far out (November) when I saw those differences. I haven't bothered to check the rates at the 11 month 'leading edge' of reservations but it just seemed that perhaps the rates were based more on trip popularity than the actual quality of said trip.
I booked my late-September 2010 EB round trip (PDX-CHI-PDX) in early January and still had to do quite a bit of hunting to find roomettes in the lower buckets. There are apparently enough people who plan their train trips far in advance; they have the flexibility and grab all of the low-bucket fares as soon as they're offered.

Jeremy

It's pretty nice Penny, my girlfriend told me that it was her favorite hotel out of the 6 we stayed in on our great circle tour last summer and we stayed in some pretty nice joints in LAX/SF?PDX and NOL in addition to SEA! Glad your folks got out of Florida before the trains shut down in the NE/Mid South, guess if you're not already in Florida it's hard to get there/leave if you're going North! :eek:

From a local opinion...

The Edgewater is the only hotel in Seattle located on a pier. That makes it unique and gives it a name in Seattle. As far as the actual hotel, I don't think it meets its 4 star level. It has no pool, it's not really located downtown (I think truth be told it's in Belltown) and the rooms are getting dated. I would spend money on another hotel myself. Stayed here last year and wasn't all that impressed.

If being ON water is not that important to you, the Alexis Hotel is a MUCH higher quality hotel and you can get rooms with views. Or you can kick it down a notch and stay at my personal favorite, the Westin Seattle. I stay at this hotel every couple months just because of its convenience to everything. It doesn't have the class that the Alexis does but if you get the right rooms, you get a view that is just amazing. And... it's a Westin. I <3 Westins and other starwood hotels.

Also if you stay at the Westin, Sheraton or Alexis hotel, you should be able to catch the ride free zone between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m through the transit tunnel and will cut down your walk. The Edgewater is just not near any of that.

Also if you stay at the Westin, Sheraton or Alexis hotel, you should be able to catch the ride free zone between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m through the transit tunnel and will cut down your walk. The Edgewater is just not near any of that.
The downtown Ride Free Area extends from Jackson Street on the south to Battery Street on the north, and from 6th Avenue on the east to the waterfront on the west. All Metro and Sound Transit buses in the Zone are free from 6 a.m to 7 p.m., whether in the tunnel or on the street. Light rail trains do not participate in the Ride Free program.

The Edgewater is on the waterfront, on Alaskan Way at Wall Street, one block from the northwest corner of the Ride Free Zone, and the 99 bus, the free waterfront-to-Chinatown shuttle, stops right in front of it. The 99 stops on Jackson Street just east of 4th Avenue, and so would be a very convenient way for a person to get from King Street Station to the Edgewater, and back, assuming the person could manage wrangling their own luggage on a city bus. You can recognize the 99 because it is the only bus painted cream over green, the same as the streetcar line it replaced.

The 99 is the only bus that serves that area of the waterfront, and it quits running at about 6:45. The buses up on 1st (three blocks from the water) through 4th (six blocks from the water) Avenues run until after midnight.

I'm not saying you necessarily want to stay at the Edgewater, I just wanted to clarify its accessibility.

For your stay in San Francisco, note that Amtrak has thruway bus connections to several places in downtown san Francisco. From there it is an easy cab ride to many hotels.

If those are two expensive, try the Marriott in downtown Oakland. It is by the BART station. To save on cab fare, take the thru way bus to Embacadero, walk to the BART station, and then take a 15 minute BART ride back to Oakland. You can do the reverse too.

The downtown Ride Free Area extends from Jackson Street on the south to Battery Street on the north, and from 6th Avenue on the east to the waterfront on the west. All Metro and Sound Transit buses in the Zone are free from 6 a.m to 7 p.m., whether in the tunnel or on the street. Light rail trains do not participate in the Ride Free program.

The Edgewater is on the waterfront, on Alaskan Way at Wall Street, one block from the northwest corner of the Ride Free Zone, and the 99 bus, the free waterfront-to-Chinatown shuttle, stops right in front of it. The 99 stops on Jackson Street just east of 4th Avenue, and so would be a very convenient way for a person to get from King Street Station to the Edgewater, and back, assuming the person could manage wrangling their own luggage on a city bus. You can recognize the 99 because it is the only bus painted cream over green, the same as the streetcar line it replaced.

The 99 is the only bus that serves that area of the waterfront, and it quits running at about 6:45. The buses up on 1st (three blocks from the water) through 4th (six blocks from the water) Avenues run until after midnight.

I'm not saying you necessarily want to stay at the Edgewater, I just wanted to clarify its accessibility.
Good info mate. Yes it looks like you could take the 99 indeed. That is a good point. At the same time though, taking the tunnel gives you boat loads of options whereas staying at hotel nearly in Belltown gives you... 1 fairly directly.

I take it you ride transit alot? :lol:

Good info mate. Yes it looks like you could take the 99 indeed. That is a good point. At the same time though, taking the tunnel gives you boat loads of options whereas staying at hotel nearly in Belltown gives you... 1 fairly directly.

I take it you ride transit alot? :lol:
There are fewer buses in the tunnel than on the street, and fewer tunnel stations than above-ground bus stops, so I would say the tunnel does not give "boat loads of options." I would not go into the tunnel to take the bus from King Street Station to the Westin, or the Sheraton, or the Alexis; it would be out of the way for all three, on both ends of the trip.

I wouldn't say I ride transit a lot, but I know how to get around on it. For a person who doesn't know how to get around, the Metro Trip Planner is very useful to figure out how to get where you are going.

It's pretty nice Penny, my girlfriend told me that it was her favorite hotel out of the 6 we stayed in on our great circle tour last summer and we stayed in some pretty nice joints in LAX/SF?PDX and NOL in addition to SEA! Glad your folks got out of Florida before the trains shut down in the NE/Mid South, guess if you're not already in Florida it's hard to get there/leave if you're going North! :eek:

Thanks Jim and everyone else. I appreciate your feedback about the Alexis and I feel much better about my decision to stay there. I am very happy to be living in Florida and cannot imagine what those of you living in other parts of the country are going through. I just spoke to my sister in Maryland. They have had over 30 inches of snow. She is fortunate that she has electricity, but she has been ill and now is suffering some numbness on her right side and is unable to get to a medical facility. To say the least, I am worried about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back