Which room number on the LSL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotisch

Engineer
I'm taking a roomette in February on the LSL from CHI - NYP and have Roomette number 1, is there any way to determine what side of the train that will be on. I know that the right side has the best view on the eastbound, but what direction are the Viewliners generally facing on the LSL? Obviously there is no way to be 100% sure ahead of time, but an educated guess would be appreciated. If I probably want an even number room, I can call ahead of time and ask for one.

Also, is there any way for the attendant to see what rooms are booked for the trip once I'm on the train? If he/she can see the available rooms (and I want to switch), would they let me move?

Last edited by a moderator:
48/448

Car 4820: even #s right, odd #s and bedrooms left

Cars 4811 & 4812: even #s left, odd #s and bedrooms right

If you would like a specific room, work that out ahead of time on the phone. Waiting till boarding only creates problems for the attendant who only has a paper list that doesnt reflect changes or last minute bookings by downline passengers that were made after it was printed.

When/if you call to try and snag a specific roomette, the key word is "modify" An agent can switch rooms without repricing the existing reservation, but many do not know how, and you may have to ask for a supervisor. The first sleeper is the Boston sleeper, you should be in 11 or 12 going to NYP. I am in 4812/01 beginning of November. I happen to like room 1, but it seems like everyone has their own opinion.

Based on Knight Rails post, which I'm pretty sure is correct, yes. Keep in mind that February is not exactly the peak scenic month across NY State, and down the Hudson. For a pretty long stretch, the Boston section including the sleeper was not switched in Albany because of ongoing track work at/near the station so all 3 sleepers pulled to NY. During that period of time, its position (the Boston sleeper) was different. That is no longer the case, one bag, the BC/cafe, one sleeper, and usually 2 coaches will split/join at Albany as well as the change of engines (P42 to Boston, P32DM added to take the NYP section. Nothing is guaranteed, an unlikely emergency can always put a fly in the ointment.

Thank you so much! I'm going coast to coast: Sunset/Eagle from Pomona to Chicago, then LSL to NYP. I'm super excited for the trip and want to make sure I get the best experience. Have a good one! :D

The key is to relax, timekeeping may not be crisp, but it the ultimate opportunity to decompress. Use the SSL on the TE, dine with people you normally wouldn't (if so inclined) My brother in law will be doing a 3 day walk against breast cancer in Dallas, I will visit with my sister and show support for his walk, I could fly down non stop in about 4 hours on ff miles, but I'm doing NER-CL-TE out and TE-LSL back just to relax............remember the lounges in NY and Chicago are available for sleeper passengers if you don't venture out in Chicago between trains in February I won't be shocked.......

The key is to relax, timekeeping may not be crisp, but it the ultimate opportunity to decompress. Use the SSL on the TE, dine with people you normally wouldn't (if so inclined) My brother in law will be doing a 3 day walk against breast cancer in Dallas, I will visit with my sister and show support for his walk, I could fly down non stop in about 4 hours on ff miles, but I'm doing NER-CL-TE out and TE-LSL back just to relax............remember the lounges in NY and Chicago are available for sleeper passengers if you don't venture out in Chicago between trains in February I won't be shocked.......
Thanks so much for the help!

So I should expect to be on the "good" side of the train?
You have a shot at the "good" side, depending upon the car you're assigned to and it's orientation that day. But instead of obsessing about it, just secure a decent lounge seat ahead of the scenery you're focused on.

I'm not sure that on the LSL (the train last questioned) there is anything that qualifies as a good lounge seat. Since they are using a split car to sell B/C, it's choice of only a couple of tables. But he is talking about February in upstate NY, not the prettiest time, unless you get some fresh snow which can look nice, it looks pretty bleak. Sometimes the river is ok, but fall is the best......

I'm not sure that on the LSL (the train last questioned) there is anything that qualifies as a good lounge seat. Since they are using a split car to sell B/C, it's choice of only a couple of tables. But he is talking about February in upstate NY, not the prettiest time, unless you get some fresh snow which can look nice, it looks pretty bleak. Sometimes the river is ok, but fall is the best......
Then it follows that there is no need to obsess about snagging the best roomette either, if it's all bleak that time of year.

Then it follows that there is no need to obsess about snagging the best roomette either, if it's all bleak that time of year.
I knew when booking that this is not exactly the best time of year to take the LSL. I'm visiting my sister in California February 17, and taking the train back: 422 from POS - CHI, and chose between the Cap/NER and the LSL. The Cap Ltd's scenery isn't great no matter the season, and I prefer Viewliners to Superliners, so I chose the LSL. I'd prefer to be staring out at the (bleak) Hudson River than a (bleak) rock wall, so I figured I'd try for the better room.

In my mind you are 100% correct. There are folks who have never seen snow, I guess if I was one of them I might feel differently. Some people are detail driven. I had to open the attachment to see which roomette I had, I didn't remember from when I made the reservation. When I take empire Service to Syracuse a couple of times a year, I prefer left side up right side back for the Hudson, except on the January trip where I honestly don't care for the stated reason.

Back