Which trains w/Amfleet cars use business/cafe or separate business and

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edjbox

Service Attendant
Which trains within the Amtrak system, both corridor and long-distance in the eastern US use separate business and café cars or combined business/café cars and does it vary for each train based on time of year?

Downeaster uses combo business/cafe cars all year.

Full length Amfleet 1 Business class cars are used on all NE Regionals, the Carolinian, Palmetto, and Pennsylvanian.
Cafe/BC Amfleet 1 Business class cars are used on all Empire corridor trains, the Ethan Allen, The Maple Leaf, the Vermonter, the Downeaster, and the Cardinal.
Cafe/BC Amfleet 1 or Horizon Business class cars are used on the Wolverine, Blue Water, Illini/Saluki, IL Zephyr/Sandburg, Missouri River Runner, and Lincoln service.
(I have seen each group end up on the single level Surfliner at least once. Not sure what is there now.)
Some sort of Superliner business class retrofit is being used on the Coast Starlight, Pere Marquette, and sometime soon the Auto Train IIRC.

Just to update

Sometimes Amtrak northeast regional #85 has a business/cafe car

And the cardinal also has a business/cafe car to use for business passengers

Just to update

If a business/cafe is used on 85 it is a substitution for the normal full cafe because of equipment issues and the seats are not the business class. The business class on 85 remains the full business class car next to the quiet car.

I have ridden the Amfleet ! BC/Cafe, and the Amfleet 1 full BC car. How do the Horizon BC setups compare, i've only left Chicago going West or South on Superliner trains, I'm curious.

I have ridden the Amfleet ! BC/Cafe, and the Amfleet 1 full BC car. How do the Horizon BC setups compare, i've only left Chicago going West or South on Superliner trains, I'm curious.
It's essentially just the Horizon equivalent of the Amfleet car - no significant differences. (Not sure that's quite what you're asking though - if not, my apologies.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's it. Is there an equiv. to the BC/Cafe split with the well liked 2+1 armchairs? or just a full BC car.....Thanks in advance

Just to update

If a business/cafe is used on 85 it is a substitution for the normal full cafe because of equipment issues and the seats are not the business class. The business class on 85 remains the full business class car next to the quiet car.
True and verified this last night after seeing the BC car on the front of 85

The Horizon / Amfleet Surfliner uses both a Amfleet Business Class car and also a Horizon Cafe / Business Class split. Generally, the Horizon side is reserved for the mobility impaired business class passengers and the Amfleet general seating.

For the substitute business/cafe car for 85 on fri, are the seats in the business class section actually available and sold as business class or can anyone sit in them?

For the substitute business/cafe car for 85 on fri, are the seats in the business class section actually available and sold as business class or can anyone sit in them?
When you have a split club/cafe substitution with an existing business class car, the seats are not supposed to be sold. They are actually considered non revenue seats...like the tables in an all table cafe car. They are up for grabs...which is why I typically get annoyed when they sub these cars but in this particular case, there aren't a lot of options. When 89's equipment is released, it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back